Best senior class since?

BillySee58

I'll admit to being a newer Mean Green fan. While I didn't follow the team the way I do now, I did keep up with UNT growing up. I remember guys like Booger, Awasom, Cobbs, Jamario Thomas, all the way through Vizza and Dunbar until I enrolled at UNT in 2011. I want to know how you guys think this year's senior class stacks up against previous senior classes in the Mccarney era and in recent memory in general.

4th and 5th year players: Out of the 2010 and 2009 classes we signed a total of 26 high school kids. 17 of those kids were still here when Coach Mac got here and all are still here with the exception of Will Atterberry who graduated.

Run down: 5 fifth-year seniors from signing class of 2009 (Thompson, Anyiam, Prior, Boutwell, and Hilbert Jackson). 7 fourth-year seniors, guys who never redshirted, from signing class of 2010 (Byrd, Chancellor, Abbe, Bellazin, Orr, Wright, and Olen). Finally, 4 fourth-year juniors from signing class of 2010 (A Johnson, Y'Barbo, Teagarden, and Dunham).

12 seniors who have been here on scholarship their entire college career may not seem like a lot, but compare that to a total of 4 last year (Feeley, Cantly, Phillips, and Atterberry). Not to mention 2 of those seniors are receiving some preseason all-conference hype (Orr and Chancellor), and 2 fourth-year juniors are as well (Johnson and Y'Barbo).

Then you throw in FBS transfer Marcus Trice, juco transfer DQ Johnson, and former walkons such as Drew Miller and Darnell Smith. These guys who've been here together this long together make me feel confident in the leadership on this football team.

• Upvote 1

I'll admit to being a newer Mean Green fan. While I didn't follow the team the way I do now, I did keep up with UNT growing up. I remember guys like Booger, Awasom, Cobbs, Jamario Thomas, all the way through Vizza and Dunbar until I enrolled at UNT in 2011. I want to know how you guys think this year's senior class stacks up against previous senior classes in the Mccarney era and in recent memory in general.

4th and 5th year players: Out of the 2010 and 2009 classes we signed a total of 26 high school kids. 17 of those kids were still here when Coach Mac got here and all are still here with the exception of Will Atterberry who graduated.

Run down: 5 fifth-year seniors from signing class of 2009 (Thompson, Anyiam, Prior, Boutwell, and Hilbert Jackson). 7 fourth-year seniors, guys who never redshirted, from signing class of 2010 (Byrd, Chancellor, Abbe, Bellazin, Orr, Wright, and Olen). Finally, 4 fourth-year juniors from signing class of 2010 (A Johnson, Y'Barbo, Teagarden, and Dunham).

12 seniors who have been here on scholarship their entire college career may not seem like a lot, but compare that to a total of 4 last year (Feeley, Cantly, Phillips, and Atterberry). Not to mention 2 of those seniors are receiving some preseason all-conference hype (Orr and Chancellor), and 2 fourth-year juniors are as well (Johnson and Y'Barbo).

Then you throw in FBS transfer Marcus Trice, juco transfer DQ Johnson, and former walkons such as Drew Miller and Darnell Smith. These guys who've been here together this long together make me feel confident in the leadership on this football team.

Ryan is technically a "4th Year Senior". Signed in 2009 but was Gray Shirted to rehab shoulder surgery fall of 2009. Did not enroll until January 2010. He still has a redshirt availible. You also left out Brandon McCoy who is also a "4th Year Senior".

Ryan is technically a "4th Year Senior". Signed in 2009 but was Gray Shirted to rehab shoulder surgery fall of 2009. Did not enroll until January 2010. He still has a redshirt availible. You also left out Brandon McCoy who is also a "4th Year Senior".

Interesting. Didn't know that about Ryan. As for McCoy, he came in as a walkon after he served our country.