NT’s key games of 2013 — Part III, Tulane

Harry

Over the last couple of days, we have started looking at UNTs 2013 football schedule and talking about the key games on it.

So far we have rated the two most important games on UNTs slate:

1. UTSA at UNT, Nov. 23, Apogee Stadium (ie, The UNT-Fans-Wing-Zone-Green-Koolaid-Suicide-Pact game)

2. Idaho at UNT, Aug. 31, Apogee Stadium

After posting the first two parts of the series, I thought a little bit about those picks and the reasoning behind them (I stand behind both). This series was intended to be a list of games that will both make or break UNTs season, though, not just the latter.

There are a host of games on the schedule that could really give UNT a huge boost if the Mean Green wins them.

One of them comes in at No. 3 on our countdown:

UNT at Tulane, Oct. 25

The Mean Greens game against the Green Wave will be its first in Conference USA, which UNT officials and fans see as nirvana.

UNT will have a chance to play Rice, UTEP and UTSA on a regular basis, which will elevate the profile of the program in Texas. While UNTs game against Tulane might not have as high a profile as that trio, where Tulane falls on the schedule makes the game vital.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/07/a-look-at-unts-key-games-of-2013-part-iii-tulane.html/

Too many big games to name one:

1 - Idaho...got to win this game against a team that we should beat.

2 - Ohio and Ball St. Really need to win of these games to insure a 2-2 record in non conf games

3- Georgia...you have to think this is a "L" but....play hard and make them hurt; i.e. last year when we knocked out LSU superboy qb

4 - Conf schedule Tulane and MT...both are winnable . La Tech, So Miss, Rice...I would argue this is the "teeth" of our schedule. We need to win one of these. UTEP and UTSA; these are two we should win. Tulsa in Tulsa could be our toughest game.

Good teams win games they should win...Idaho, Ohio or Ball St, Tulane, MT, One of the games between La Tech, So Miss and rice. UTEP and UTSA. Counting this way, If we can win the games that we should win or are very capable of winning...7 wins.

Good teams find a way to win a game they should not win...win two of the three games in the middle with La Tech, So Miss and Rice or Tulsa....8 wins.

• Upvote 3

Too many big games to name one:

1 - Idaho...got to win this game against a team that we should beat.

2 - Ohio and Ball St. Really need to win of these games to insure a 2-2 record in non conf games

3- Georgia...you have to think this is a "L" but....play hard and make them hurt; i.e. last year when we knocked out LSU superboy qb

4 - Conf schedule Tulane and MT...both are winnable . La Tech, So Miss, Rice...I would argue this is the "teeth" of our schedule. We need to win one of these. UTEP and UTSA; these are two we should win. Tulsa in Tulsa could be our toughest game.

Good teams win games they should win...Idaho, Ohio or Ball St, Tulane, MT, One of the games between La Tech, So Miss and rice. UTEP and UTSA. Counting this way, If we can win the games that we should win or are very capable of winning...7 wins.

Good teams find a way to win a game they should not win...win two of the three games in the middle with La Tech, So Miss and Rice or Tulsa....8 wins.

Good teams win the games they should and take care of business at home. Let's prove we're a good team.
  • Upvote 3

UTSA should be #1 on the list. A loss to them SHOULD convince even the lap dogs that RV needs to go if he doesn't get rid of McCarney after a loss like that.

I totally agree, Emmitt. But RV isn't going anywhere with his new extension. There are only two groups that will be gone after a UTSA loss--fans and/or coaches. If that preceding sentnece ends in "and coaches", then you may not kill the fanbase that has remarkably grown during the last 8 years of suckitude. If it doesn't involve "and coaches" after something as catastrophic as losing to UTSA at home in its third year of existence, I really don't care who else leaves--at that point, I'd be gone...