Football Watching Parties

UNT 90 Grad

I can't believe football starts up next month. In parallel with the change in conference, I'm making a change in watching party venues for those over Collin County way. This was driven by some apparent changes in booking policies at the previous establishment as well as the fact that where we were before in Allen just wasn't big enough for the group we were drawing for some games.

I had a meeting today with the restaurant that will be hosting us. It is located in the shopping complex across the street from where we were the past two years. Instead of the Village at Allen, we'll be across the street at the Village of Fairview at an establishment called Fairview Down Under. Some upgrades include:

• Table Service (no more missing part of the game to go get food or drink)
  • Full Bar
  • Plenty of Room (the game will be projected on a screen that can easily be seen throughout the restaurant with no obstructed views)
  • Better Audio Situation (they will pipe the audio through the restaurant or PA)
  • Live music immediately following Saturday night games (the bands will wait to start until the NT game ends)
  • They will show the Ball State and Rice home games (without a host) for those that can't make it to Denton.

We currently plan to show the following games at Fairview Down Under

• at Ohio (9/7)
  • vs. Ball State (9/14)
  • at Tulane (10/5)
  • at Louisiana Tech (10/19)
  • at Southern Miss (10/26)
  • vs. Rice (10/31)
  • at Tulsa (11/30)

A couple exceptions. If I can find a way to get the Georgia game, we'll have it too. If the Tulsa scheduled start winds up after 6:30pm, we will not have a watching party at Fairview Down Under for that one. (It'd be too late for the live music to wait to start.) Also, they don't have Time Warner Cable, so they won't be showing the UTEP and UTSA home games.

Info on Fairview Down Under: http://fairviewdownunder.com/

I'm excited. Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 3

Todd I really appreciate you doing this and know it takes a lot of effort. As always we will promote these heavily on here so just let me know when get the details of the first one going and will get the word out to everyone. GMG!

Have other events been held here before? It looks familiar.

Yeah, I hosted a happy hour their in April to promote joining the Mean Green Club. That may be where you heard of it. It's behind JCPenny near the iPic Theaters at the Village at Fairview.

Todd, as always thanks for the great job in getting these watching parties organized. The biggest concern that I have... do they have PBR??? :beerhat:

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Funny. I did have this conversation with the owner. Sometimes, change is hard. Instead of PBRs and Natty Lights, we are tentatively looking at specials on buckets of beer, a special green mixed drink that the bartender staff will develop between now and then, and possibly green jello shots. :smiley2913: Specials will apply to guests wearing Mean Green gear.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe football starts up next month. In parallel with the change in conference, I'm making a change in watching party venues for those over Collin County way. This was driven by some apparent changes in booking policies at the previous establishment as well as the fact that where we were before in Allen just wasn't big enough for the group we were drawing for some games.

I had a meeting today with the restaurant that will be hosting us. It is located in the shopping complex across the street from where we were the past two years. Instead of the Village at Allen, we'll be across the street at the Village of Fairview at an establishment called Fairview Down Under. Some upgrades include:

• Full Bar
  • Plenty of Room (the game will be projected on a screen that can easily be seen throughout the restaurant with no obstructed views)
  • Better Audio Situation (they will pipe the audio through the restaurant or PA)
  • Live music immediately following Saturday night games (the bands will wait to start until the NT game ends)
  • They will show the Ball State and Rice home games (without a host) for those that can't make it to Denton.

• at Ohio (9/7)
  • vs. Ball State (9/14)
  • at Tulane (10/5)
  • vs. Rice (10/31)
  • at Tulsa (11/30)

A couple exceptions. If I can find a way to get the Georgia game, we'll have it too. If the Tulsa scheduled start winds up after 6:30pm, we will not have a watching party at Fairview Down Under for that one. (It'd be too late for the live music to wait to start.) Also, they don't have Time Warner Cable, so they won't be showing the UTEP and UTSA home games.

I will be shocked if the Georgia game isn't on local 21. They air SEC games every week during football season.

Edited by Side Show Joe

Great job, Todd. Leading the way for the Collin County contingent....a growing contingent I might add! Much is owed to you for these efforts. I certainly know the effort made to make these events happen...way to lead the way!

Really super news for the folks around Collin County!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was up at Fairview Down Under this afternoon testing the ESPN3 stream for the Ohio game. While I was there, I snapped a quick pic on my phone so you could see what the layout of this place looks like. The Mean Green games will be projected on the big screen as well as showing on some of the flat screen TVs around the restaurant and bar. The game audio will be throughout the restaurant in place of music.

gallery_3776_75_1770579.jpg

I'm looking forward to it. GO MEAN GREEN!!! Let's pack this place, Collin County (and others)!

• Upvote 2

• Full Bar

• at Ohio (9/7)
  • vs. Ball State (9/14)
  • at Tulane (10/5)
  • vs. Rice (10/31)
  • at Tulsa (11/30)

I don't even live in Collin County but I'll make the trip just to support someone doing promotions that work.

a special green mixed drink that the bartender staff will develop between now and then

I've got a recipe for them if they're interested. :crazysmile:

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2