Tony Mitchell Factoid that gets Lost in Translation

Harry

One thing that seems to get lost in all of the coverage is the fact that we actually HAVE LANDED A PLAYER IN THE NBA DRAFT. And while we hoped he would be a first round pick, even though that was not a certainty - especially with teams drafting foreign projects to stash away for salary cap - this is a HUGE step forward for North Texas fans, alumni friends etc...

We now have a very talented athlete that we can all follow and cover through what hopefully will be a very exciting and successful career. We just haven't had that ever or in the modern era. Sure there were some NFL picks who were very good players but to have a guy as talented as Tony go to a team where he has a chance to get some serious playing time is a big deal.

Tony didn't have to choose North Texas but he did and I am grateful that he did. Tony was a class act the entire time he was here and a great ambassador of the program...I expect that will continue as his career progresses. I can forsee Tony Mitchell basketball camps and even him coming back to games.

Sure things didn't play out as we perhaps had fantasized - Tony going as a lottery pick to the Mavericks etc...I've learned in life that things don't always go as planned. That shouldn't remove the good that comes from life... Tony and his family while not getting guaranteed contracts should not have to worry about money again. That's a very good thing. North Texas fans got to experience an incredible roller coaster ride of mostly highs from the point at which Johnny signed him until yesterday when he signed with the Pistons.

I just felt that this needed to be said. As North Texas fans we are born with a chip on our shoulder that causes us to sometimes look at the glass half full. Tony will always be from North Texas and we should all be very proud of that. He played in the Super Pit and he wore the green jersey. Let's all give us his support and hope he realizes his potential in the NBA. GMG

I've liked the Pistons since they roughed up Jordan. The ultimate "hard luck" town...kinda poetic for a North Texas draftee, no?

Also noteworthy, several here compared Mitchell's game to Rodman's. Hopefully he can show the Detroit faithful glimpses of Rodman, and more. That is, until he runs into the Mavericks. Then I'm hoping for a 100 - 50 beatdown with Tony scoring all 50 of Detroit's points.

• Upvote 2

Also noteworthy, several here compared Mitchell's game to Rodman's. Hopefully he can show the Detroit faithful glimpses of Rodman, and more. That is, until he runs into the Mavericks. Then I'm hoping for a 100 - 50 beatdown with Tony scoring all 50 of Detroit's points.

Hopefully those glimpses don't include Tony in a wedding dress.

• Upvote 1

OT: that image of Tony shaking hands at the draft is loaded twice on this page of this thread.

I understand we want to be thankful and celebrate TMitch...but I'll just say I'm not a fan of overkill.

On the other hand, it might just be on my PC, on my end of the internet, so carry on.

• Upvote 1

This draft had a record 13 international taken , almost half of all the 1st round picks. NBA teams only has 12 active roster spots with 3 inactive spots. That leaves only 15 spots per team , 450 total players in the entire NBA. Not every team has immediate openings for two or more draft picks every year, so they prefer to take a young, foreign player. They can let this player improve his skills for a few years, and then eventually bring him over to the States to play.. It is like having a farm system overseas.

2nd round was disappointing , but it's not the end of the world. Tony is in a good situation with Detroit. He will have every chance to make the team & get serious playing time. Certainly will not be easy , but with hard work it's very attainable. Maybe sliding down will light a fire under him. He's never had to play with a chip on his shoulder and has been able to get by on athletism. He gets to get away from family,friends & any other distractions in Detroit. His focus can be (should be) soley on Basketball. I think he can have a successful career and ill certainly be rooting for him.

1 of my all time favorite NBA players was also drafted 37th overall , Nick Van Exel. He went on to pretty good carrer

I think it's time for everyone to move on from bashing either Mitchell or Benford. Critism was valid , but It's in the past. Nobody liked what took place last season. Players,coaches , administration all played a role in a very disappointing season. All would would say they failed and all would do things different.

Time to move forward. Support Mitchell in his quest for stardum & support the current players & coaches as they try to get back on the winning track.

• Upvote 3