CFB Entertainment Index - 2013 Best Teams To Watch

MeanGreen61

Interesting study, and it sounds pretty close to right. I think Ole Miss should be a top 10 team--they run a very exciting offense, and are bringing in new talent the likes of which has never been seen in Oxford at the same time. It's also interesting that the top 2 non-BCS AQ teams are Ball State (an opponent in 2013) and Marshall (a conference mate in 2013).

• Upvote 1

Being a traditional offensive juggernaut despite having a 5-7 season still makes you fun to watch and #32 on the list. (Should be much much higher imo but whatever especially considering that we had the 11th best passing attack in the country this past season in spite of being below .500)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Being a traditional offensive juggernaut despite having a 5-7 season still makes you fun to watch and #32 on the list. (Should be much much higher imo but whatever especially considering that we had the 11th best passing attack in the country this past season in spite of being below .500)

When you're coming off a 5-7 season in a non BCS conference you shouldn't expect to be any higher than #32
  • Upvote 1

Good thing we're opening the season with the excitement of throwback jerseys since we're hosting the most boring team in the nation!

Shhhhhh! Don't let our UNT constituency know about the boring part of our first opponent. Boring teams have put a scare into us

in the past.

2 weeks after the Mean Green beat the University of Tennessee Volunteers in 1975, a school called Cal Poly-Pomona came to Fouts before right at 20,000 (its capacity back then) and we had a hard time putting them away as I recall. (We had an open week the week after we beat the Vols and many of us so wished we could have moved that Cal Poly-Pomona game up a week).

Uh, we also beat the UH Coogs.................28 to 0.................. over at Texas Stadium that same season....thought I'd throw that one in for free, of course.

Some of our new CUSA conference mates have no earthly idea what North Texas really had going on in Denton at that one particular time.....especially some from UTSA who think we've been chopped liver for all of the last 100 years.

Along with our other CUSA conference mates home games this season, I am really looking forward to our hosting the Road Runners at Apogee Stadium come this Fall and have saved a few online clippings (if you will) on some of their comments about North Texas the last 1-2 years that I may send up to Coach Mac a week or 2 before that game, too. :)

Kinda like that letter to the editor which that 'wascally 'wabbit SMU alum/fan Lawrence Perkins wrote to the North Texas Daily student newspaper the week of the 1990 SMU/North Texas game type of deal? It was said after all was said and done that approx. 24,000 got into Fouts Field for that game and it was even televised on a local DFW TV station, too.

Simply amazing that that SMU game which almost seemed like a rivalry kind of college football game (albeit apparently a one-sided one at that particular time) could do to rile up the fan base.

Link below is one of my top 10 favorite seasons following North Texas football when this particular year there were so few bowl games to reward some pretty darn good football teams which should have gone bowl'ing....and North Texas was one of those teams:

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=155&Season=1977

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I recall one of the Arkansas students who could actually write sending a tacky letter to the NT Daily in '69 wondering why they would even lower themselves to play us. We lost by three points and were cheated out of a touchdown. I was at that game at Little Rock along with a large contention of other students. I will always believe we were at least a slightly better team. One never knows.

• Upvote 3

Shhhhhh! Don't let our UNT constituency know about the boring part of our first opponent. Boring teams have put a scare into us

in the past.

2 weeks after the Mean Green beat the University of Tennessee Volunteers in 1975, a school called Cal Poly-Pomona came to Fouts before right at 20,000 (its capacity back then) and we had a hard time putting them away as I recall. (We had an open week the week after we beat the Vols and many of us so wished we could have moved that Cal Poly-Pomona game up a week).

Uh, we also beat the UH Coogs.................28 to 0.................. over at Texas Stadium that same season....thought I'd throw that one in for free, of course.

Some of our new CUSA conference mates have no earthly idea what North Texas really had going on in Denton at that one particular time.....especially some from UTSA who think we've been chopped liver for all of the last 100 years.

Along with our other CUSA conference mates home games this season, I am really looking forward to our hosting the Road Runners at Apogee Stadium come this Fall and have saved a few online clippings (if you will) on some of their comments about North Texas the last 1-2 years that I may send up to Coach Mac a week or 2 before that game, too. :)

Kinda like that letter to the editor which that 'wascally 'wabbit SMU alum/fan Lawrence Perkins wrote to the North Texas Daily student newspaper the week of the 1990 SMU/North Texas game type of deal? It was said after all was said and done that approx. 24,000 got into Fouts Field for that game and it was even televised on a local DFW TV station, too.

Simply amazing that that SMU game which almost seemed like a rivalry kind of college football game (albeit apparently a one-sided one at that particular time) could do to rile up the fan base.

Link below is one of my top 10 favorite seasons following North Texas football when this particular year there were so few bowl games to reward some pretty darn good football teams which should have gone bowl'ing....and North Texas was one of those teams:

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=155&Season=1977

GMG!

What makes me laugh at that link is that we went 9-2, with only one bad loss at Florida State, and we played 8 road games--and still didn't finish the year ranked...

• Upvote 1

What makes me laugh at that link is that we went 9-2, with only one bad loss at Florida State, and we played 8 road games--and still didn't finish the year ranked...

In the link at the bottom of the page....scroll down to the 1977 football season.

This is just more of the same o' same o' for many of you, but for many of you newbies' it will not be at all.

Yes, it was the UPI poll but I assure you that no one coach's vote could ever get his team ranked in that poll based on his voting for his team exclusively. Such a football program had to have other votes among those in NCAA Division 1 for our 1977 North Texas Mean Green football team to get such a lofty final Top 20 ranking and this particular UNT team had those other votes, but lest we also forget.......... we also had a darn good football team to boot.

For 5 out of 6 years in the 70's we had some good Mean Green football teams and others besides the 1977 team should have been in 1 or 2 other final Top 20 rankings, too.....in my most unbiased opinion, of course. Wish we would have had more bowls games back then, an Apogee'esque kind of stadium back in that day along with 200,000 plus DFW UNT alums in the 70's, too, but we didn't. Timing is everthing?

Timing "IS" Everything And Lady Luck Along Our Side At Times Would Help, Too, But---We Seem To Rarely Get Either Working For Us At UNT At The Same Time--maybe that will change soon?

The shame of the Fry Era at UNT was that there were not as many bowl games as there are today. If that had been the case, 5 out Fry's 6 Mean Green football teams would have gone bowling using the criteria presently used AND THEN..................SOMETHING, IE, A VENUE, PART OF A VENUE OR WHATEVER AT NORTH TEXAS WOULD BEAR HIS NAME (becaue at present nothing does).

Shall we all mostly agree how much this guy did in 6 years at UNT others would not or could not do in twice or more the time? :( And....wasn't he also the last coach we had at UNT who left with over. 500 in wins?

So isn't there..................Something/Anything worthy of his name adorning it in the MG Village? North Texas would gain more from such a name connection or association than Fry would truth be told. Didn't his/ours 6 years with him play some part of his being named later in the College Football Hall of Fame? After all...........if there had not been a North Texas for Coach Fry there very well may have never been a Big 10 Iowa for him, either. Is it revisionary historians on campus and politics keeping Hayden Fry's name off of any of our venues or what?

Back To Top 20 Polls: If you peruse the polls of the 70's you will see that North Texas was one of the few non AQ (Go5) schools that got a Top 20 (not Top 25, mind you) final ranking and there were some pretty good non AQ schools back then, too.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/polls_1936_present_e.html

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

THEN..................SOMETHING, IE, A VENUE, PART OF A VENUE OR WHATEVER AT NORTH TEXAS WOULD BEAR HIS NAME (becaue at present nothing does).

GMG!

There's a really short street where lots of people get drunk...does that count? Or do you want something specifically on campus?

• Upvote 1