Admit What U Admire of Each of UNT's CUSA West Foes...

This thread probably slides over to Page 3 in a matter of a few hours but what the heck, it's still the off season and I am personally curiuos as to what you think of our future CUSA West Division foes.

To have added the C-USA East Division would have made this much too long of a project; especially for us who have a touch of narcolepsy.

Your admiration points can be anything and maybe not even what would be the usual; for example, check out mine for Rice U

La Tech..........Top 25 ranking during part of last Fall and that being what they seem to aim for with their football program which really makes me admire those "Dawgs" of La Tech even more.

Rice U...........Rice Stadium was location of my first ever college football game in 1961--Jess Neely was the Rice Owls HFC that Fall. And I believe Kern Tips even did the radio broadcast of this particular game on the Humble Oil Refinery Radio Network (later re-named Exxon)................."Hold That Tiger" and "Put A Tiger In Your Tank?" :)

Southern Miss......IMO, these Golden Eagles are still the chairman of the board in CUSA West the last several years.

Tulsa U................I was a Fall, 1968 HS senior last time we beat the Golden 'Canes & that on an ABC TV regional game on Houston's ABC TV's Channel 13; and UNT/Tulsa getting this "SWC dominated market" televised game when very, very few schools in the present Gang of 5 conferences would ever get televised.

UTEP...............I get all teary eyed when I see that movie about their NCAA baskeball championship especially in that NCAA Final 4 game against Adolph Rupp's Kentucky Wildcats.

UTSA...............Coker is building a formidable football program in the Cradle of Texas Liberty's home city albeit I think they get an NCAA FBS wake up call this Fall.....the Road Runners compete soon, though, in Conference-USA.

That's it!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

La Tech - Probably has done more with less than any program in the country. Not afraid of any FBS team in the country (other than ULM).

Rice - Best academics in the country without being ultra-liberal. Still carries prestige from SWC days.

UTSA - They're in San Antonio and they have a very good coach.

UTEP - They've had some tremendous basketball and track teams.

Southern Miss - (Yes, I know that they're not in the West this year but they will be in 2014). The bell-cow of the conference. All-time winning percentage up around the .800 mark.

Tulsa and Tulane - Nothing good to say about them because they're leaving.

• Upvote 2

Rice- Got to play in the SWC. I'm very jealous.

LA Tech- Classic logo on their helmet. Bring back the Worm...

UTSA- They get to be the only game in town.

UTEP- National Title in basketball. Sorry, couldn't think of anything football related.

Tulane- One time members of the SEC. I admire that.

Tulsa- I admire their ability to recruit quality DFW talent.

• Upvote 2

Rice- A very easy to make side for any meal. Pretty great when fried and mixed with veggies.

LA Tech- Duck Dynasty.

UTSA- Everyone that couldn't get accepted to Univ. of Texas.

UTEP- Different time zone than us. I respect their past though.

Tulane- Eh. I don't care.

Tulsa- They're in Oklahoma. Haha. Good team for the school's size though.

Tulsa - You can spell it backwards.

UTEP - Seemed to have made their turnaround, though they've slipped recently so we'll see if it's permanent.

Tulane - Great school, great city, probably should have gone there for law school instead of staying at UNT for grad school.

Rice - Great school, apparently doesn't smell like a butthole a la U of H though I've never been there so I can't verify that.

UTSA - Awesome city, great opportunity with an easy built-in fanbase.

La Tech, SMiss - People have actually heard of them AND their football programs.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 2

UTEP - Storied past in basketball and track, actually worst history than NT in football

La Tech - A lot of success for a team that really shouldn't have much

Tulane - Very good school in a great city, best food anywhere

UTSA - Unbelievable progress for two years in football

Rice - Great school that somehow still bothers with sports

Tulsa - Nice city, big overachiever in athletics

USM - Best program in CUSA that didn't and isn't leaving

• Upvote 1

Louisiana Tech - Their logo.

Rice - Logo.

Southern Miss - Nothing. Bad logo. Stupid for firing Jeff Bower. Deserve every bad thing that happenes to them. I hope they end up in the Southland Conference. Southern Miss, in my eyes, smells of soot and poo.

Tulsa - Rolled the dice with the Kragthorpe hire a decade ago, and it made a huge difference in the long run. Nice logo as well. Although, I do hate their "uniform of the week" kick they've been on for the past couple of years. Still...that comes from having the money to do it, which brings us back to...rolling the dice on Kragthorpe.

UTEP - Logo. Enticing a bowl game for decades to their far flung, out of the way, yet friendly, corner of the world.

UTSA - Hiring Larry Coker. 85% on board with the logo. They should drop the word "Roadrunners" from it. Having the Roadrunner head above the letters "UTSA" is fine. Imagine if Texas had the words "Longhorns" underneath the Longhorn head. It is redudndant. Kill it, UTSA. Kill it, now.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

UTSA - Fried chicken!!! I love it. Great weekend road trip. Stay on the Riverwalk. Their stadium sells beer!

Rice - Easy weekend road trip.

UTEP - horrible city that is really far but I am from there so I can see my friends.

Tulsa - one game and they are out...

La Tech - don't know much about them but should be a fun trip.

• Upvote 1

UTSA - great road trip, enthusiastic fans, future bitter rivalry. Love SA the town,

La. Tech - making more with less, pride, results accountability, good fans bitter rivalry, Shreveport

UTEP - resentment that they were picked over us in C-USA back in 2005, neat stadium, interesting road trip, good basketball program

UAB - Good basketball

Southern Miss - very good football program. RV's incubator.

Rice - I will always think of Rice in the utmost respect, academically and from their Tommy Kramer days in the SWC. Also great baseball. Love the campus and Houston (my hometown).

Rice - Best academics in the country without being ultra-liberal.

That is a really interesting and really debatable statement. I would have to put some serious thought in it before discussing it.

LA Tech -- There have GOT to be slot machines nearby, right?

Rice -- Kind of a legacy school I suppose. I know a guy who played for them in the late 50s. Interesting stories.

UTSA -- Who doesn't love 20,000 screaming fans in a 65,000 seat stadium? Never been blown away by the city, to which I've been many times.

UTEP -- Love, love, love El Paso. Gain about 20 pounds every time I ever went because the Mexican food is the best in America, bar none, no nachos, no queso, no texmex. Alas, no more late night jaunts into Juarez. Things have gotten too real down there.

Southern Miss -- Something something Brett Favre. Otherwise I know nothing about their football program. They had a great baseball coach for many years.

Tulsa -- Man, what a great little town. I'd really like to go back. Super quirky downtown. Oh, they have a football team too? Interesting. Sorry they'll be leaving us next year.

Tulane -- Wave good-bye as they bolt for whatever the hell conference is is they're mishmashing up out there. But who doesn't dig beads and boobs?

• Upvote 1

UAB: closed steelworks fun to visit
Southern Miss: While living in Biloxi in 1979, I sent a letter to their MBA program looking for more information. In response, I received notification that I was accepted as a student, no GMAT, no transcripts, nothing! Terrific!
La. Tech: Like that they have a doublewide to use for recruiting
Rice: What's not to like about the Vanderbilt of the Southwest?
UTEP: Kentucky Club accross the border. Best margaritas ever.
UTSA: Can transfer to UTD, UTPB, UTB, UTPA, UTA, UTEP to keep eveyone confused

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 2

I wanted to answer these before I looked at other responses. So, some may be dupes.

La Tech.........Still remember the sweet 16 BB team and Carl Malone. Lady Techsters were always in the news, even though I never paid any attention to Women's BB. I thought that was pretty impressive.

Rice U...........Hey. They were a SWC member at one time. So, they have some credibility from that era.

Southern Miss......They have flirted with being a big-time college FB program at some points in recent times.

Tulsa U...............Honestly, I am really impressed with what they have accomplished recently. Until the last few years, all I can remember is them being competitive in

MVC basketball years ago.

UTEP..............The Sun Bowl.

UTSA...............I respect what they have accomplished so quickly. I am waiting to see if the support collapses without immediate success. I do feel that many of their fans are riding the wave and will disappear when the novelty wears off.

Edited by akriesman