Does this season provide you more anticipation or interest?

Harry

I don't know about you guys, but I can't remember being more excited and intrigued by an upcoming college football season. There's the obvious, we're playing our first year in C-USA and we're playing in some great destinations like New Orleans, Hattiesburg etc. We also get some Texas teams in our home stadium which will be fun (Rice, UTSA, UTEP).

But beyond that, I am really interested to see how teams like UTSA and Texas State fare in their new conferences. I see them as sort of going down the same road as we have in the past and I wonder how they will respond. I'm interested in seeing how Western Kentucky fares in the new Belt and how MTSU, FIU and FAU will hang in C-USA.

I think perhaps it is being in a conference with so many Texas schools. I used to read up on the Texas schools like UTEP in Dave Campbell's and then really didn't follow them much after that. In the Belt, I cared about the teams we were playing against in the week leading up to playing them and followed scores but that was about it. I find myself really trying to learn more about every program in C-USA and especially the ones in Texas.

Heck I'll even admit that I am interested in seeing how the Ponies and Cougars fare in the AAC. That conference is sort of like the lottery this year with the last year of the autobid. What a huge game changer that could be for someone.

Maybe it's just me but being on an island in the Belt sort of diminished my interest somewhat in following the other programs here in the state. There just seems to be so many regional teams to follow this season and I know realignment has a big piece of that but I also think that we are in a conference that makes everything more interesting for us as fans.

This season definitely brings the most anticipation in my book.

I'm extremely excited for finally having some regional and in-state rivals. No longer will we have to explain to our non-North Texas friends who Middle Tennessee or FIU is.

The new TV package is also amazing. I am also curious about how TXST plays out in the Belt. I feel UTSA will do "okay" maybe a 4 win season. I am, however, hoping both UTSA and TXST fail this upcoming season so we can win some recruiting battles.

In regards to Houston and SMU... I don't honestly care. All that matters to me is that we win the majority of the new SMU series we will have with me.

I always felt out of the loop when trying to keep up with Belt news the past years. I always found myself keeping up with the Big12 more... CUSA should change this though :)

• Upvote 1

This season definitely brings the most anticipation in my book.

I'm extremely excited for finally having some regional and in-state rivals. No longer will we have to explain to our non-North Texas friends who Middle Tennessee or FIU is.

The new TV package is also amazing. I am also curious about how TXST plays out in the Belt. I feel UTSA will do "okay" maybe a 4 win season. I am, however, hoping both UTSA and TXST fail this upcoming season so we can win some recruiting battles.

In regards to Houston and SMU... I don't honestly care. All that matters to me is that we win the majority of the new SMU series we will have with me.

I always felt out of the loop when trying to keep up with Belt news the past years. I always found myself keeping up with the Big12 more... CUSA should change this though :)

Lol.

1325923333_ice-cube-check-yo-self-mens-t

• Upvote 1

More interest than anticipation. I don't think that DT is capable of a lot better showing than we've seen. If he remains the starter, we'll be mediocre. Ditto for McNulty, except that his upside might be a little more promising since he is more mobile. But, if Berglund is hitting on all cylinders then this could be a fun season.

Regardless of who is quarterback, we'll have to develop defensive linemen (especially tackles) if we have very much success. If that happens, and that's a very big if, the defense may be at, or near, the best in CUSA.

• Upvote 2

I'm always excited about the start of another football season. There is nothing, however, about this UNT team or conference that excites me.

1). No upgrade at QB

2) No upgrade at RB

3) Defensive front should rank at the bottom of

league.

4) New league maybe worse than what we just

Left.

5). Return of sub-500 coaching staff.

6). Another sub-500 record on the horizon

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I'm always excited about the start of another football season. There is nothing, however, about this UNT team or conference that excites me.

1). No upgrade at QB

2) No upgrade at RB

3) Defensive front should rank at the bottom of

league.

4) New league maybe worse than what we just

Left.

5). Return of sub-500 coaching staff.

6). Another sub-500 record on the horizon

1. I think I'm clearly on-record as a Berglund supporter, but Thompson should improve (at least somewhat) over this offseason. How much will he improve? We won't know until Idaho. If he's not improved enough, Berglund can step in.

2. I don't know that we really needed an upgrade at RB. But Pegram may surprise. I think we may be a little spoiled with our run of 12 years of awesome backs from Ja'Quay - Lance.

3. No real retort here. If Abbe is gone for good, and I kinda hope he is, then the D-Line will basically hang on the shoulders of SirCalvin's progress over this offseason... unless there's some sleeper that will come up to man the nose. I like our other D-Linemen (Boutwell, Sarge, Bellazin, Lincoln, etc...) But just looking at the team from the sidelines, this certainly appears to be the weak spot. And D-Line is definitely not a good place to have a weak spot.

4. I dunno man. At least this season it certainly isnt. After Tulsa/ECU bail, maybe. Tulsa/ECU would probably wipe the floor with anyone in the Belt.

5. This season must be the crux. 5-7 should be the minimum for him to keep his job, I think (Idaho & UTSA are must-wins). Any worse and it may be time for Rick to hit up the Rolodex.

6. Yep. That's what it's looking like.

• Upvote 2

To say that there's greater anticipation or interest this year compared to Dodge's first season seems silly.

The combination of unknown, hope, new unis, and more recent program success definitely puts that season above this one.

Yes, the conference move is exciting but it's hard for that alone to excite when there's little reason to think there will be immediate success.

• Upvote 1

While I don't think this is the most hyped UNT football team, this year is vital. With this schedule, anything less than 6-6 should be a failure worthy of a firing. Our home schedule is easy. Time to take advantage. We win at home. Win 5 at home. Unrealistic, but seriously. Especially because we seem to finally have more publicity due to CUSA. We need to stop expecting mediocrity. One year turnarounds happens, look at ULL. This team was 1-2 plays away in most games. I think the 2013 team makes those plays. We looked very competitive and strong often and flat in others. I think we'll be fine. I think a 3-9 season could be disastrous towards our perception, fanbase and our future. Mostly due to Bumford...we suck in both major sports. That's scary. We have fans desperate for something, or we risk losing everything we've built.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

While I don't think this is the most hyped UNT football team, this year is vital. With this schedule, anything less than 6-6 should be a failure worthy of a firing. Our home schedule is easy. Time to take advantage. We win at home. Win 5 at home. Unrealistic, but seriously. Especially because we seem to finally have more publicity due to CUSA. We need to stop expecting mediocrity. One year turnarounds happens, look at ULL. This team was 1-2 plays away in most games. I think the 2013 team makes those plays. We looked very competitive and strong often and flat in others. I think we'll be fine. I think a 3-9 season could be disastrous towards our perception, fanbase and our future. Mostly due to Bumford...we suck in both major sports. That's scary. We have fans desperate for something, or we risk losing everything we've built.

39 would be disastrous? What would 4-8 or 5-7 be?

This is the highest paid coach and coaching staff ever at NT going into their 3rd full year. 6-6 keeps them another year but on the hot seat, 7-5 or better should be not only expected but demanded from every alum, fan, player, coach, administrator, RV, Diet Coke Boy, and albino squirrel on campus. Mediocrity pisses me off!

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 2

I'm going to have to go with anticipation. This is the year I've been thinking would be Mac's first big one, with redshirts and strength training and such coming to fruition. Then factor in Berglund and finding out what kind of on-the-field chops he might have (if that happens) and I'm really chomping at the bit to see how well it all comes together. Plus, almost half of the games will be easily accessible on TV, which hasn't been the case for me in a few years, so I won't be as homesick for Texas during a few weekends.

• Upvote 1

I think a lost to UTSA or going less than 6-6 merits firing...then perhaps someone other than RV should do the hiring.

• Upvote 1

I am always pumped up for a season but have cautious optimism. I think the Dodge debacle tempered my excitement for any future seasons. Time to apply that learning lesson to basketball.

Houston, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa or ECU couldn't put CUSA on the BCS map. They are about to be gone and I sincerely hope UNT gives them a swift boot in the *** on the way out. CUSA is still ripe for a team(s) to emerge and rival MWC for non-big six power. We have conference name, sweet bowl tie ins emerging markets/programs. Time for the refreshed CUSA to make some noise.

Enthusiastic and excited yes. Ready to predict a conference crown and big boy take down not so much.

Get it done!

GMG

My anticipation is much like that of the battered spouce waiting for their partner to return from work. I'm fearfully optimistic that things will be better... but I only expect what I've grown accustomed to.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1