Away Game Thread

UNTLifer

This post by TFLF in the Tulsa thread got me to thinking:

I have bias for Tulsa because my parents are from there and I went to grad school at TU.

Living in Tulsa was okay for three years, but I was ready to come back to Dallas. Tulsa, for sure, has many unique eating establishments. If you like non-chain food, Tulsa is about the Non-Chain Capital of Good Food in America,

Tulsa is about as safe as you can get on the crime side, as long as you stay South. The west (of 75) and north sides (of 244) are no-gos.

I know I've posted all of this before, but here is an off-the-top of my head list of unqie eating places in Tulsa:

Bar-B-Que: Elmer's, home of the Badwich

Seafood: Bodean (51st Street)

Cajun: S&J Oyster Co (Detroit and 1st? Near downtown)

American: Coney-I-Lander (several locations in Tulsa)

American: Bill & Ruth's Subs (several locations in and around Tulsa)

American: Ron's Hamburgers and Chili (two or three locations around Tulsa)

American: Ike's Chili (downtown)

American: The Brook (South Peoria)

American: Weber's Root Beer (still make their own Root Beer, grill great Burgers...S Peoria)

Lebanese: Jamil's Steakhouse (still on 51st, but now on the east side of Harvard)

Breakfast: Brookside By Day (South Peoria...the also a BBD II "The Duece" up near Jenks at 81st and Harvard. I lived at 81st and Yale back in the day, so The Duece was a good breakfast/brunch option)

Tex-Mex: Senor Tequila (original on 51st, close to Jamil's...look, if you're absolutely jonesing for Tex-Mex try this place. But, really, we're from Texas and it's not going to be any better than the Tex-Mex you find around DFW.

I never had outstanding Italian in Tulsa. Like Tex-Mex, you've probably had better here in DFW.

South Peoria/Brookside area (roughly E 15th north up Peoria to 51st) has many restaurants and bars: The Brook, Kilkenny's Irish Pub, Webers, Elmer's, one of the Ron's, one of the Coney-I-Landers...hit Brookside, for sure, on a Friday night.

Utica Square is an upscale shopping area in Tulsa. Not an enclosed mall. Not a totally planned thing like the new set of retails in Allen or Firewheel. It's an outdoor store-to-store that has been there since the indoor mall was the thing; so, it's kid of ahead of its time. Maybe a little Highland Park Village feel, but Tulsa-sized and speed. Polo Grill is worth checking out there if you're a sit down and drink wine-type. it's kind of a date place. Or, at least, I used it as a date place.

You can see that most of the stuff is American. But, that's kind of to be expected. You're in the middle of the country in the heart of old Route 66. It's unique and I wish to hell TU were staying in C-USA with us. I've got plenty of relatives up there to visit. But, you know how it is - once you get your own wife, kids, and whatnot, you see cousins less and less. UNT-TU was always a good excuse to get back up there.

Outside of our road games at Ohio and Georgia, most of these are drivable. If you consider yourself an expert on any of the following cities, New Orleans, Ruston/Shreveport, or Hattiesburg/Biloxi. Biloxi is a little over an hour away and would offer some fun places to stay. Use TFLF's post as a guide and have at it. Looking forward to the posts.

I've only been in New Orleans a few times and not in the last decade, but there's an awesome French restaurant on Bourbon Street, can't remember the name but it has a 2nd story patio with very limited seating overlooking Bourbon. Best duck ever. Definitely pricey but totally amazing. I want to say that if you're walking away from the Cathedral, it's about 3 or 4 blocks down on the left. But that was 14 years ago so I may not be dead-on with the directions.

I've only been in New Orleans a few times and not in the last decade, but there's an awesome French restaurant on Bourbon Street, can't remember the name but it has a 2nd story patio with very limited seating overlooking Bourbon. Best duck ever. Definitely pricey but totally amazing. I want to say that if you're walking away from the Cathedral, it's about 3 or 4 blocks down on the left. But that was 14 years ago so I may not be dead-on with the directions.

Antoine's perhaps? I think the spelling is close...been there forever...classic NOLA French place as I recall.

• Upvote 1

Antoine's perhaps? I think the spelling is close...been there forever...classic NOLA French place as I recall.

I looked them up, pretty sure that's it. Funny, I thought it was right on Bourbon but I guess I was just generalizing the FQ. Either way, yes, if you have the extra cash for it, definitely worth every penny.

There are four or five excellent old-line Creole places: Antoines, Broussards ( got engaged there; must have been liquored up)!), Arnauds, and my favorite, Galatoire's. I don;t know about today, but all of them used to ask gentlemen to wear coats and ties. If you are looking for a place with a little less damage to the wallet, then Tujaques is your place.
All of these have been around forever.
Mothers and Acme have already been mentioned and I second that! Some other 'off the radar" places in NO:
Favorite Bar: Napoleon House
Best sandwich not a Poorboy: Muffuletta from Central Grocery
Best native ice cream: Angelo Brocato's

I used to live in Biloxi and NO was a frequent destination.

Acme is a tradition, but Draggos has better charbroiled oysters and so does Felix's across the street from Acme.

And are we really debating Tulsa vs. New Orleans for a road trip.

New Orleans wins hands down, plus we are going to bead Tulane.