No. 4 — Can UNT find some help at WR?

Harry

UNT struggled last season offensively for a host of reasons. Near the top of the list was a lack of production at wide receiver.

The Mean Green had one really good player with some speed in Brelan Chancellor, who caught 25 passes for 450 yards and five touchdowns in eight games before being lost for the season with a broken collarbone.

UNT wasnt as productive as it hoped overall outside of its star junior.

Former walk-on Ivan Delgado had a solid season, leading the team in receptions (42) and receiving yards (570). Darnell Smith, another former walk-on, finished second on the team with 28 catches for 379 yards. Carlos Harris added 19 catches for 263 yards.

UNT head coach Dan McCarney has pointed this out on numerous occasions and its worth repeating. The Mean Green didnt have an outside receiver catch a touchdown pass until the last two games of the season, when Smith caught one in each in losses to Louisiana-Monroe and Western Kentucky.

One UNT coach told me that an assistant on a team the Mean Green played late last season told him he didnt fear anyone UNT had left to roll out there after Chancellor went down from a speed standpoint.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/post-spring-questions-series-no-4-can-unt-find-some-help-at-wrte.html/

I really think Kidsy will be starting before the end of the year. No knock on the other receivers, I just seem him being special. Speed and has good looking route running ability.

He'll have to earn, because our receiving corp looks pretty good. Better than last year for sure IMO.

• Upvote 1

No mention of Brady Brown? Also, we'll have a couple of RS freshmen jumping into the mix. I assume Lancaster isn't a worldbeater, or he would have seen PT last year...as for Schrapps, he was kept out of action at least in part because of injury. He was 1st team all state.

I agree with Vito's comments about not depending too much on newcomers; but if you are going to factor true freshmen into the equation, I don't know why you'd leave these others out.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

No mention of Brady Brown? Also, we'll have a couple of RS freshmen jumping into the mix. I assume Lancaster isn't a worldbeater, or he would have seen PT last year...as for Schrapps, he was kept out of action at least in part because of injury. He was 1st team all state.

I agree with Vito's comments about not depending too much on newcomers; but if you are going to factor true freshmen into the equation, I don't know why you'd leave these others out.

Jury is still out on Brown. Lancaster tore his all so didn't get a chance. We'll see about Schrapps, but he hasn't exactly stood out, nor has Lancaster. They're still young as redshirt freshman this year, but I would be surprised if Kidsy doesn't pass them on the depth chart.

Did Johnny Quinn redshirt his freshman year?