Shaquel Jackson talks about commitment to UNT

Harry

DeSoto defensive tackle Shaquel Jackson has heard all about UNT from friends who play for the Mean Green, including Zach Orr and Antoinne Jimmerson, not to mention head coach Dan McCarney and cornerbacks coach Ryan Walters.

If the school is anything like Jackson expects, the Mean Green will have a solid commitment from a second player in its 2014 recruiting class at a position UNT has struggled to recruit for years.

Jackson committed to UNT this week and said Monday night that as long as everything goes as planned, he will sign with the Mean Green in February.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/shaq-jackson-talks-about-commitment-to-unt.html/

"Jackson is talking to McCarney and Walters about taking a visit in the next few weeks. He will decide after seeing UNT if he will take any other visits."

I'm not familiar with these visits, but I wonder the impact of taking one's visit when classes are in session versus in the summer.

It seems a better sell when there's tons of activity around both the athletic facility as well as the campus.

"Jackson is talking to McCarney and Walters about taking a visit in the next few weeks. He will decide after seeing UNT if he will take any other visits."

I'm not familiar with these visits, but I wonder the impact of taking one's visit when classes are in session versus in the summer.

It seems a better sell when there's tons of activity around both the athletic facility as well as the campus.

I have to agree. Young kids do not get how dead a college campus gets during the summer.

I believe that there are official and unofficial visits. So whichever one this coming one is, you could probably bet he will be sitting in Apogee for the Idaho game.

I would hope it is an official visit. Coaches are not allowed to have contact in unofficial visits.

As far as traffic on campus, summer semester will be in full swing and Zac Orr will be in his ear about what campus life is like during regular semester. Not worried about that.

On a side note, if Zac doesn't make it in the NFL, I really hope he gets a graduate assistant spot at UNT. He has already proven he is a good recruiter and player, all that's left is a little coaching seasoning.

• Upvote 4

My daughter took a tour of UNT on a weekend and it was totally dead and unimpressive. She ended up at another university.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would hope it is an official visit. Coaches are not allowed to have contact in unofficial visits.

As far as traffic on campus, summer semester will be in full swing and Zac Orr will be in his ear about what campus life is like during regular semester. Not worried about that.

On a side note, if Zac doesn't make it in the NFL, I really hope he gets a graduate assistant spot at UNT. He has already proven he is a good recruiter and player, all that's left is a little coaching seasoning.

Are you sure they aren't allowed contact? I thought the only difference was that recruits can't have anything paid for on an unofficial.

Either way, it should be interesting to watch this class grow especially if we have success this year. A couple of solid building blocks for a class that could be a breakthrough one for us.

Are you sure they aren't allowed contact? I thought the only difference was that recruits can't have anything paid for on an unofficial.

Either way, it should be interesting to watch this class grow especially if we have success this year. A couple of solid building blocks for a class that could be a breakthrough one for us.

I've actually accompanied someone on an unofficial visit. They can pay for things, as tickets were left for a basketball game, but no coaching contact was allowed (or they just didn't want to talk to the recruit, one or the other).

• Upvote 1

I've actually accompanied someone on an unofficial visit. They can pay for things, as tickets were left for a basketball game, but no coaching contact was allowed (or they just didn't want to talk to the recruit, one or the other).

Got it. As many local recruits as we have we should get a lot of unofficial visits.
  • Upvote 1

From personal experience, "Offical Visits" are during the winter on designated weekends, generally during basketball season. That is when the recruits and their parents are "wined and dined" so to speak for the weekend. Recruits will generally be paired with a player. They have various activities and meeting for the parents too.

A recruit can have as many unofficial visits as they want. They just don't get the "treatment" except for game tickets. That is generally what you see during football season. They do get to get to meet with coaches and see a lot of gameday activities.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...