ODU Football Ups Revenue $2,000,000

Old Dominion has been inundated with football ticket requests - and has raised $2 million in new revenue - as a result of the reallocation of season tickets.

ODU received requests for 15,200 season tickets by the April 15 deadline. Although that's nearly 1,100 more than the school had last season, athletic director Wood Selig said it will meet the additional demand.

Foreman Field seats 20,066 and has been sold out for all 29 home football games ODU has played. Season tickets are reallocated every four years.

ODU raked in $1.5 million more in donations between Jan. 1 and April 15 than in the same time frame last year, an increase officials credit largely to the ticket reallocation. Officials said they believe the increase in donations will be permanent, because fans recognize that if they reduce their giving, they could lose their seats.

ODU also will reap an additional $500,000 per year from increased prices for football tickets and luxury suites, said Mark Benson, who heads the school's fundraising foundation.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/odu-gets-creative-fill-football-ticket-requests

• Upvote 2

As long as they are also listed as passing Cougar High :goodjob:

How can you call them a high school if their academics are better than UNT's? Plus they are a Top 200 school unlike that place in Denton who's only a "regional university".

According to Google, UH makes almost 8 million a year in football revenue alone plus don't play bodybag games for paychecks. (Though I'm sure they paid UNT some money to come to Houston last year.) So I think ODU has quite a while before they surpass them. Of course both of them pale in comparison to our revenue but that's a whole nother animal. Still, you and your art school degree or whatever willy-nilly they teach at UNT and your minimal donors plus your FCS-esque "football profit" (which actually has your athletics department up to their eyeballs in debt hence the paycheck games) shouldn't be talking.

Impressive # of season tickets.

We have had less than 8K in the first 2 years of Apogee COMBINED

Your AD should be fired for that and your alumns should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

How can you call them a high school if their academics are better than UNT's? Plus they are a Top 200 school unlike that place in Denton who's only a "regional university".

According to Google, UH makes almost 8 million a year in football revenue alone plus don't play bodybag games for paychecks. (Though I'm sure they paid UNT some money to come to Houston last year.) So I think ODU has quite a while before they surpass them. Of course both of them pale in comparison to our revenue but that's a whole nother animal. Still, you and your art school degree or whatever willy-nilly they teach at UNT and your minimal donors plus your FCS-esque "football profit" (which actually has your athletics department up to their eyeballs in debt hence the paycheck games) shouldn't be talking.

Your AD should be fired for that and your alumns should be ashamed of themselves.

NT's a regional university?

News to me. Not according to Forbes, US News or Princeton. Looks like you're wrong again.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

You must have a really small penis. Edited by glick1980
  • Upvote 7

We've written about this before but as All About UNT said, ODU is in a really good situation. A huge metro population with no competition. When I was growing up, they even used to hold an annual "Oyster Bowl" with the purpose of bringing a major college football game to Norfolk.

Even without playing 1A ball, their athletic budget is among the top of all of CUSA. Once they get their stadium upgraded and have a few years of 1A experience, I predict they will be the next school to join the AAC.

Impressive # of season tickets.

We have had less than 8K in the first 2 years of Apogee COMBINED

How would you know? That seems to be a very closely-guarded secret. Besides, I see at least 8,000 (usually more) on the alumni side every game. Are we saying that we have walkup sales of 4-5 thousand?

Still, your point is well-taken. Our season ticket sales are puny when compared to ODU.

How would you know? That seems to be a very closely-guarded secret. Besides, I see at least 8,000 (usually more) on the alumni side every game. Are we saying that we have walkup sales of 4-5 thousand?

Still, your point is well-taken. Our season ticket sales are puny when compared to ODU.

Going by Flyer's post awhile back

We apparently only had 3,760 in season ticket sales last year. Hopefully that will increase this year with a better schedule & more marketable teams coming in

Going by Flyer's post awhile back

We apparently only had 3,760 in season ticket sales last year. Hopefully that will increase this year with a better schedule & more marketable teams coming in

It won't change until we not only start winning football games, but winning football ganes that matter to Alumni and the greater metroplex.

This year, that would be Georgia, Rice, Southern Miss, La. Tech, Tulsa, and UTEP.

At least we have many more opportunities than we used to. Will we take advantage?

It won't change until we not only start winning football games, but winning football ganes that matter to Alumni and the greater metroplex.

This year, that would be Georgia, Rice, Southern Miss, La. Tech, Tulsa, and UTEP.

At least we have many more opportunities than we used to. Will we take advantage?

It's time for the Mean Green to make a stand and produce positive results. The future is NOW !

Edited by MeanGreen61

As long as they are also listed as passing Cougar High :goodjob:

Cougar High? Really?

For the 2012 entering class, the National Center for Education Statistics gives Top 25% and Top 75% SAT scores for college entering classes:

UH

English 490-600

Math 530-640

UNT

English 480-600

Math 500-610 (not surprised, UNT is an arts school)

Dividing those ranges by 2 and adding both together to get the average SAT:

UH = 1133

UNT=1095

SAT averages for other large schools in Texas:

Texas Tech= 1105

UT-Arlington = 1070

Texas St = 1045

UTSA = 1035

SAT averages for other Big 12 state schools:

Iowa St = 1145

Oklahoma St = 1105

West Virginia = 1055

Kansas St = no data, but accepts 99% of applicants

On another note, our applications for admission have skyrocketed since Khator came in January 2008. Applications grew by at least 13% for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 entering class. At the same time, our acceptance rate has plummeted from 79% in 2008 to 56% in 2012

So if we're a high school and your standards and admissions rates are higher than ours, then you must be a middle school.

All this anger and yet these two no talent ass clowns are obsessed with UNT and this website. Can't say I have thought even for a moment to read about their schools.

Kinda flattering that fans from other Texas universities come over here so often to troll.

Nothing against UNT considering I used to go there and still am friends with current UNT students who I go visit in Denton from time to time, but I slap a lot of folks around here with facts because GMG is the cesspool of the UNT fanbase. Other than Harry, All About UNT and a handful of others (including Meangreener sometimes) that I actualy respect. The rest of you are the biggest group of losers I have ever seen in ANY college football fandom.

If you are from another school and have a differeing opion, you're a troll.

If you don't pump sunshine and you're a UNT fan, you're a troll.

If you don't believe McCarney is the second coming of Christ, youre a troll.

If you're skeptical of BB being a Johnny Football clone, you're a troll.

If you call out the ridiculousness and hypocrisy of GMG, you're a troll.

If you own a GMG poster, they post a meme or makes penis jokes.

^^GMG in a nutshell

Everybody remembers my debut post here (which became an article) and how a few GMG posters initiated everything. It was at that moment, I made my face heel turn complete. (Look at the beginning of my post history if you want).

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Cougar High? Really?

For the 2012 entering class, the National Center for Education Statistics gives Top 25% and Top 75% SAT scores for college entering classes:UHEnglish 490-600Math 530-640UNTEnglish 480-600Math 500-610 (not surprised, UNT is an arts school)Dividing those ranges by 2 and adding both together to get the average SAT:UH = 1133UNT=1095

Texas Tech= 1105UT-Arlington = 1070Texas St = 1045UTSA = 1035SAT averages for other Big 12 state schools:Iowa St = 1145Oklahoma St = 1105West Virginia = 1055Kansas St = no data, but accepts 99% of applicantsOn another note, our applications for admission have skyrocketed since Khator came in January 2008. Applications grew by at least 13% for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 entering class. At the same time, our acceptance rate has plummeted from 79% in 2008 to 56% in 2012

So if we're a high school and your standards and admissions rates are higher than ours, then you must be a middle school.

Nothing against UNT considering I used to go there and still am friends with current UNT students who I go visit in Denton from time to time, but I slap a lot of folks around here with facts because GMG is the cesspool of the UNT fanbase. Other than Harry, All About UNT and a handful of others (including Meangreener sometimes) that I actualy respect. The rest of you are the biggest group of losers I have ever seen in ANY college football fandom.

^^GMG in a nutshell

Everybody remembers my debut post here (which became an article) and how a few GMG posters initiated everything. It was at that moment, I made my face heel turn complete. (Look at the beginning of my post history if you want).

They are quite good at making trolls out of dissenters...

They are quite good at making trolls out of dissenters...

Not quite true. Go on any team's site and be respectful and you will get the same in return. Go on any team's site and act like Cougar King or froggystyle and you will be treated as you have been here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

According to Google, UH makes almost 8 million a year in football revenue alone plus don't play bodybag games for paychecks. (Though I'm sure they paid UNT some money to come to Houston last year.) So I think ODU has quite a while before they surpass them. Of course both of them pale in comparison to our revenue but that's a whole nother animal. Still, you and your art school degree or whatever willy-nilly they teach at UNT and your minimal donors plus your FCS-esque "football profit" (which actually has your athletics department up to their eyeballs in debt hence the paycheck games) shouldn't be talking. Damn cockroaches.

Cougar High? Really?

For the 2012 entering class, the National Center for Education Statistics gives Top 25% and Top 75% SAT scores for college entering classes:UHEnglish 490-600Math 530-640UNTEnglish 480-600Math 500-610 (not surprised, UNT is an arts school)Dividing those ranges by 2 and adding both together to get the average SAT:UH = 1133UNT=1095

Texas Tech= 1105UT-Arlington = 1070Texas St = 1045UTSA = 1035SAT averages for other Big 12 state schools:Iowa St = 1145Oklahoma St = 1105West Virginia = 1055Kansas St = no data, but accepts 99% of applicantsOn another note, our applications for admission have skyrocketed since Khator came in January 2008. Applications grew by at least 13% for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 entering class. At the same time, our acceptance rate has plummeted from 79% in 2008 to 56% in 2012

^^GMG in a nutshell

I know some people in the admissions office. If we can agree that you'll act like less of an ass I'll see if they can overlook your earlier academic "challenges" at NT.

Deal?

• Downvote 1

"Everybody remembers my debut post here (which became an article) and how a few GMG posters initiated everything. It was at that moment, I made my face heel turn complete. (Look at the beginning of my post history if you want)."- Cougar King

So you admit your an annoying ass and a total douche? That's step one. I'm proud of you.

Why does anyone give this internet tough guy the time of day? He failed in Denton and is pissed about it. Period. Ran home with a case of homesickness while being so insecure about it he is compelled to make excuses to strangers on the Internet. So, he comes here to throw mud. You'd have better luck convincing a jihadist to stop being a dick then to have a meaningful exchange with this guy.

I hope ODU has a lot of success in CUSA when not playing us and I hope they get more money too. That is a great area of the country but damn if it isn't pricey.

Edited by UNTexas

"Everybody remembers my debut post here (which became an article) and how a few GMG posters initiated everything. It was at that moment, I made my face heel turn complete. (Look at the beginning of my post history if you want)."- Cougar King

So you admit your an annoying ass and a total douche? That's step one. I'm proud of you.

That pretty much says it all.

For the 2012 entering class, the National Center for Education Statistics gives Top 25% and Top 75% SAT scores for college entering classes:

UH

English 490-600

Math 530-640

UNT

English 480-600

Math 500-610 (not surprised, UNT is an arts school)

Dividing those ranges by 2 and adding both together to get the average SAT:

UH = 1133

UNT=1095

Texas Tech= 1105

UT-Arlington = 1070

Texas St = 1045

UTSA = 1035

SAT averages for other Big 12 state schools:

Iowa St = 1145

Oklahoma St = 1105

West Virginia = 1055

Kansas St = no data, but accepts 99% of applicants

I know what you are trying to do and I realize it's splitting hairs, but I don't think technically you can divide the ranges and call it an average. It may be close enough for govt. work, but they are 25th and 75th percentile scores respectively. That is to say that 25% of students scored lower than the first number and 25% of students scored higher than the second number. They don't specifically say what the highs and lows are, or the mean, or characterize the distribution between those 2 numbers. The 25th and 75th percentile numbers should stand on their own. There's no need to do any further calculation on a unknown data set. Doing so is inaccurate, and doesn't make your point any more clear. To the contrary, it makes it less clear.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

Cougar King you are very poor at statistics. If anything your quoted numbers prove that the entry scores are almost the same, not a lot of separation there. What separation there is in math you actually came up with the probable reason, the difference in the student body majors. Not going to research it but I bet that NT has a largely percentage of education and fine arts students at NT which are not usually overly concerned with math.

I always laugh at the insane points made in these academic arguments over almost meaningless variations in entry scores. Most large state schools in Texas with the exception of UT and A&M which are more selective and get much more state support than others draw basically from the same type student pool and variations in selectively are small. Not to mention that reported numbers are always suspect at all schools.