What true freshman do you see making the biggest impact in 2013?

Harry

Of course Mac likes to redshirt most of his freshman players. I have two that are a tie in my mind, I think linebacker Fred Scott is going to be a stud somewhere, perhaps on special teams this first year. I also see Wylie Reinhardt the tight end from Saginaw potentially making an impact on the defensive line although my preference would be that he can redshirt.

I see four players that for sure will not redshirt: Syd Moore, Darvin Kidsy, Chad Davis, and Wylie Reinhardt. Other than those guys I see the other 9 true freshman redshirting, with the occasional special teams contributor.

I believe both Syd Moore and Darvin Kidsy will be starters before the year is over, but to pick just one I'll say Syd Moore.

Absolute animal and the definition of a steal in recruiting. His high school highlights, albeit against 3A competition, really were spectacular. Great get off the ball, relentless pursuit, and plays with his hands very well for a high schooler. Even though height is one of his weaknesses as a prospect, I'd like to see Syd line up at defensive end at some point during his time here.

His highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1333525/sydrick-moore

Really hope he makes it to campus.

• Upvote 1

I think the best players may be at db or wr, but those are not need positions next year. After the first three, linebacker is thin and they are used a lot on special teams. I will go with Minor because he is the LB that has played at the highest level of competition and should not take as long to adjust.

• Upvote 1

None is a little extreme. You hope at least a few guys you sign are capable of contributing from day 1.

You need a few of these guys to play at least a 2nd string role to sell playing time to the 2014 class. You don't turn down teams in top conferences to come to UNT to get redshirted and not play. As of right now UNTs biggest selling point is playing time and location.

The athletic facilities are a selling point vs the smaller schools.

A winning season and a bowl game, along with success from a few 2013 players would get a lot of attention and would make a huge impact with the 2014 class.

• Upvote 1

I really don't want us to need any freshman to play a big role. A little playing time perhaps. But really you build a program by letting the kids come in and develop in the S&C program we have built here.

Let's get enough talent in here that we don't have to rely on freshmen to contribute right away. If you build the program right, you are winning and don't have to promise playing time right away to get the kids in here.

Win and get someone drafted. That will help.

Redshirting can be viewed 2 ways:

- The way you see it, where the players are given a year to mature so that they can have a more legitimate shot at playing as a redshirt freshman and still have 3 years to play after that, is the first.

- The other way, is that players are redshirted because they simply can't crack the depth chart. This is sometimes a bad omen for the player's future. Not always a bad sign, but it's hard to call this a good sign for the player. All-conference and, dare I say, players with NFL potential should be able to beat some of our guys out from Day 1 and be a starter or significant contributor. O-line and QB are the primary exceptions, as unless the player is starting or the immediate backup he is usually redshirted.

I am from the school of redshirting as many as you can and building your team up so that you only rely on the freshman who earn their spot and beat some guys out. But any coach will tell you that he wants every player that can help the team win readily available. Redshirt as many as you can, but if you can't keep some guys off the field as true freshman, there's no need to compromise performance for redshirts. If you can't keep them off the field as a true freshman, they're probably going to turn out pretty well. I like to think we have at least 4 of those guys in this class.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1