New 2013 CFN North Texas Preview

NT03

Those 2012 fun stats are pretty telling. We only got sacked six times, which is a great stat for our offensive line heading into this year, but the third-down conversion percentage and first-quarter scoring killed us.

IMO we need to start Jimmerson. I know you guys like to consider Byrd our bruiser at running back, but Jimmerson weighs more and is much more elusive. I think how hard Jimmerson is to tackle wears down the defense more than Byrd.

If anything, I think Byrd's advantage over Jimmerson is top-end speed, as well as pass protection.

Bottom line is we score more with Jimmerson, particularly in the red zone. Jimmerson had 4 rushing and 1 receiving touchdown in the red-zone last year and Byrd had zero total.

I'm not saying throw Byrd on the sideline all game, but Jimmerson is dynamic and gives our offense a dimension we need. Plus he gives us the results that matter, and we need those sooner rather than later.

Good review, especially with the slop we normally get (North Texas State, old information, talking about injured or suspended players being key to UNT's success, etc...)

At Main St. days. Actually some UNT swag in some of the booths, including a sweet pair of ladies UNT boots.

1) Has there been any talk of throwing Jimmerson in for the first 1-2 quarters to go balls-deep on the defense and then put in Byrd?

2) Buy the boots, hang on to them. If nobody else will wear them, I'll put them on the next time I'm in town for a game. I have no shame. I'll even lead a disco-style line dance in the things if it will get people to show a pulse.

I refuse to buy boots that never touch a stirrup or a cowboy hat unless I get some cows. The boots do look mighty cute on girls though.

"This team will be far better if … the D-line shows a pulse. North Texas has a decent array of talent on the back seven, but who’ll know it if the linemen are unable to assert themselves? This group was thoroughly ineffective in 2012, a key reason why the D ranked 87th nationally in sacks, while allowing just under five yards a carry. If the Mean Green is going to have a chance of surviving in the face of better offenses, progress will have to start up front."

That's about the size of it.