Notes and thoughts from the final stop of the Mean Green caravan

Harry

I think that UNT90 is right about the 2015 schedule, at least right now. Much can change, but CUSA isn't going to give one school 5 home games with just 3 away games. Since we are at SMU, Tennessee, and Iowa, that doesn't add up. Actually, though, it doesn't bother me to have 5 home games if the one OOC game at Apogee is someone big. A home game against a MAC school, an SBC school, or even worse, an FCS team is just sad to me. This past year was the worst home schedule I can ever imagine a school at this level scheduling. UNT90 just wants us to try to get someone here for a change. He's right about the Iowa series and he's right about the fact that we place too much accolades on getting home series with SMU and Army. They are great OOC opponents, but they need to have another great OOC opponent at home to go with them.Otherwise, you still aren't selling much to the fans, at least in my opinion. A 2015 home schedule of SFA, Rice, UTEP, MUTS, and FAU isn't going to move the needle one bit here for season tickets, as this past year just showed.

Maybe the Iowa game is being reset for another year. We're just looking at what the current schedule shows and don't know what is actually happening regarding the schedule. It's hard to make judgments when you're not privy to all the info.

And, just think...you now have stuff to worry about all the way to 2015....and beyond. You know, because worrying and complaining about what MIGHT happen is so much more fun and productive than enjoying what actually IS happening. Oh, well...I'll let you have the forum...it's no use trying to get you to even consider anything positive right now. God knows I have tried in person, in PM's and on the board. I give up...I'll just look forward to welcoming the real UNT90 back...if I can live that long... :-)

I have to hand it to you. You are the most positive poster I have ever read on gmg.com.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe the Iowa game is being reset for another year. We're just looking at what the current schedule shows and don't know what is actually happening regarding the schedule. It's hard to make judgments when you're not privy to all the info.

If you re-set the Iowa game to another year, you will just delay the inevitable 5 game home season a year or 2.

Plus, the earliest you could delay it to without causing a 5 game home season would be 2018.

And of course, you couldn't add another away game then until 2019, which would further limit your ability to schedule a 1 and 1.

Unless we buy home games or buy out of road games, all we will do is delay the inevitable.

Numbers don't lie.

• Upvote 2

One interesting note from the Fort Worth stop. Those there might remember that there was a gentleman there that announced that he would double his Mean Green Club donation if North Texas beat UTEP.

I've met this guy before. He has season club level seats near mid field, so I'm guessing his donation is already relatively significant. What makes this even more interesting is that he has no direct ties to UNT. He's from Southlake and grew attached to the program during the Dodge days.

We need more fans like this. Similar to the recruits, if we can get people on campus (or in this case, to the games), we can get them hooked on the UNT experience.

• Upvote 5

One interesting note from the Fort Worth stop. Those there might remember that there was a gentleman there that announced that he would double his Mean Green Club donation if North Texas beat UTEP.

I've met this guy before. He has season club level seats near mid field, so I'm guessing his donation is already relatively significant. What makes this even more interesting is that he has no direct ties to UNT. He's from Southlake and grew attached to the program during the Dodge days.

We need more fans like this. Similar to the recruits, if we can get people on campus (or in this case, to the games), we can get them hooked on the UNT experience.

Please tell me what this means. Because (IMHO) the "big-time" college experience as most people outside of Denton know it, doesn't exist at North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Please tell me what this means. Because (IMHO) the "big-time" college experience as most people outside of Denton know it, doesn't exist at North Texas.

I guess if you prefer making a "big time" drive to some place like Austin, and take a "big time" walk to the stadium from wherever you have to park to see a game you had to pay "big time" prices for, then yes, there may be better options for you.

I think what we have at UNT is much more special than most in the metroplex realize, IMHO.

Minikram...out.

• Upvote 5

I guess if you prefer making a "big time" drive to some place like Austin, and take a "big time" walk to the stadium from wherever you have to park to see a game you had to pay "big time" prices for, then yes, there may be better options for you.

I think what we have at UNT is much more special than most in the metroplex realize, IMHO.

Minikram...out.

If by "something special" you mean a total lack of traditions and "big time" atmosphere, then I would have to agree with you. Maybe you are using the phrase "something special" instead of "blue light special".

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

If by "something special" you mean a total lack of traditions and "big time" atmosphere, then I would have to agree with you. Maybe you are using the phrase "something special" instead of "blue light special".

I figured we were drifting down the rickity road to the band pageantry discussion again.

The point I was trying to make is that what's going on in Denton is much better than most in the metroplex think. Sure there is plenty of room for improvement, but the point I was trying to make is relevant to what many expect to find when the visit UNT. "Big Time" is far from what I believe they expect. But what they find is much much better than what they expect.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 4

I figured we were drifting down the rickity road to the band pageantry discussion again.

The point I was trying to make is that what's going on in Denton is much better than most in the metroplex think. Sure there is plenty of room for improvement, but the point I was trying to make is relevant to what many expect to find when the visit UNT. "Big Time" is far from what I believe they expect. But what they find is much much better than what they expect.

Apparently the Vanderbilt U contingency representing their athletic department who recently made a special trip to Denton to take a tour of Apogee Stadium think something special is going on at UNT--that is, facility-wise. Another poster said one from Commodore Country after his tour of Apogee and the MG Village said a few SEC schools didn't have the overall facilities that North Texas did. (Not sure who those would be but I'll take his word at that). :)

BUT.... like the Super Pit which for well over 10 years was the best on campus basketball venue in the Lone Star State and remained so until UT-Austin built their Super Drum; yet we cannot afford to go thru as many losing years at Apogee as we did the Super Pit most of the last few decades. Still the best formula in the NCAA to this day is:

Great Facility + Great Football Team ='s Annual Record Attendance Numbers, Top 25 Ranked Teams + Recognition When Better Conferences Come A'Callin'.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I've been to games at A&M, Tech, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and you're wrong.

Well then, I stand corrected. Our football traditions of spotty (at best) attendance, no organized NT yell/cheer/crowd participation, and vastly underachieving band just beats those other guys hands down. Now that I've entered into your strange little world, could you please tell me what color is the sky?

• Downvote 4

Well then, I stand corrected. Our football traditions of spotty (at best) attendance, no organized NT yell/cheer/crowd participation, and vastly underachieving band just beats those other guys hands down. Now that I've entered into your strange little world, could you please tell me what color is the sky?

Vastly underachieving? Here we go, it's the offseason. No "Pageantry". What a joke. It's time to stop visiting GMG.com for a while.

Not to mention I never said that we were better. But that we are most definitely an impressive college experience for a small conference team. We have one of the best college environments in CUSA, probably the best after ECU leaves. Maybe behind UTEP, but UTEP is lacking in "college environment" feeling and has little tailgating. They have a sweet stadium, attendance, and dedication though.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3

SilverEagle is correct. We do lack the pageantry seen at many of the top programs. We have the parts(Green Brigade, Apogee, tailgating, NT Cheer, Dancers, etc.), but need a "Pageantry Czar" at UNT to take charge, organize, and make gameday a real production to remember.

• Upvote 2

SilverEagle is correct. We do lack the pageantry seen at many of the top programs. We have the parts(Green Brigade, Apogee, tailgating, NT Cheer, Dancers, etc.), but need a "Pageantry Czar" at UNT to take charge, organize, and make gameday a real production to remember.

I sense that most people actually agree with what SilverEagle is trying to say, however it is the delivery that is a beat down. I personally agree completely that we need to spice up the entrance, etc. but it isn't as big of an issue as he makes it out to be. It means more to me because I was in marching band in high school and I love all of that pageantry stuff and it really amps up the experience for me. Bottom line for me though is that wins are more important. Have all the pageantry you want, could be world class quality - if you lose to UTSA, I'm gonna be pissed.

SilverEagle is passionate and - more power to him because I believe he has a valid point. I did still give him a negative - not for message but for delivery. Sorry bro. :whistling1:

• Upvote 1

I sense that most people actually agree with what SilverEagle is trying to say, however it is the delivery that is a beat down. I personally agree completely that we need to spice up the entrance, etc. but it isn't as big of an issue as he makes it out to be. It means more to me because I was in marching band in high school and I love all of that pageantry stuff and it really amps up the experience for me. Bottom line for me though is that wins are more important. Have all the pageantry you want, could be world class quality - if you lose to UTSA, I'm gonna be pissed.

If we lose to UTSA this year, I'm not just pissed--ther ebetter be major changes at either the head coaching level and/or the AD. Otherwise, I'm out. No way that should happen with where we are as a program and where they are at. We shouldn't lose to them for many years ahead, but if we lose this year, that is my line in the sand being crossed.

• Upvote 3

Not-Again-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Old Denton nesters and alums in Club Section who spend more time getting drunk than watching the game certainly take away from the game experience. It is especially annoying to true fans who come to see the games when they are constantly passing in front of you on their way to the bar or the head. Meanwhile they camp out in front of you to yuk it up with the other drunks in their party who are there strictly to socialize and could care less about the game. Leave the drunken game day in the parking lot or better yet just stay at the bar and let those who came to see the game enjoy seeing it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SilverEagle is passionate and - more power to him because I believe he has a valid point. I did still give him a negative - not for message but for delivery. Sorry bro. :whistling1:

No offense taken and thanks for actually paying attention. I don't mind negatives on my post as long as you are really reading/listening. "Down the corridor of years", I've found that people don't really listen or pay attention unless you sometimes make (somewhat) controversial or downright blunt statements.

I too spend my high school years in the band. And during that time I saw the North Texas band perform many times at homecoming games, under the direction of the late (and great) Maurice McAdow. The man was not only a great and musically demanding director.....he was also a showman. His mantra was always "flourish" "flourish". None of his bands strolled from one point to the other during their halftime performance. They pretty much moved like the Ohio St. Band. (this trailer features the drum major, but you see the energy of the band in it)....

We used to have a very similarly dressed drum major.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61034/m1/60/?q=marching%20band

Wisconsin's pre-game entry.....if our band only had half as much energy/showmanship.......

And here's a tradition of sportsmanship that the NT band used to do, but has since gone by the wayside. Our announcer used to say "and now a tribute to our visiting team".and then we'd play their fight song. In this example the Wisconsin band is playing the SDSU Aztec fight song during pre-game. .......

My point has always been that if you are going to put on a game day show.....then don't do it half-assed. Especially since we have the most well known music program in the southwest and (allegedly) have the best band in the southwest.....AND we now have the most ideal venue in which to put on a game day show.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Old Denton nesters and alums in Club Section who spend more time getting drunk than watching the game certainly take away from the game experience. It is especially annoying to true fans who come to see the games when they are constantly passing in front of you on their way to the bar or the head. Meanwhile they camp out in front of you to yuk it up with the other drunks in their party who are there strictly to socialize and could care less about the game. Leave the drunken game day in the parking lot or better yet just stay at the bar and let those who came to see the game enjoy seeing it.

Selling alcohol at Apogee would only make this worse!

No offense taken and thanks for actually paying attention. I don't mind negatives on my post as long as you are really reading/listening. "Down the corridor of years", I've found that people don't really listen or pay attention unless you sometimes make (somewhat) controversial or downright blunt statements.

I too spend my high school years in the band. And during that time I saw the North Texas band perform many times at homecoming games, under the direction of the late (and great) Maurice McAdow. The man was not only a great and musically demanding director.....he was also a showman. His mantra was always "flourish" "flourish". None of his bands strolled from one point to the other during their halftime performance. They pretty much moved like the Ohio St. Band. (this trailer features the drum major, but you see the energy of the band in it)....

We used to have a very similarly dressed drum major.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61034/m1/60/?q=marching%20band

Wisconsin's pre-game entry.....if our band only had half as much energy/showmanship.......

And here's a tradition of sportsmanship that the NT band used to do, but has since gone by the wayside. Our announcer used to say "and now a tribute to our visiting team".and then we'd play their fight song. In this example the Wisconsin band is playing the SDSU Aztec fight song during pre-game. .......

My point has always been that if you are going to put on a game day show.....then don't do it half-assed. Especially since we have the most well known music program in the southwest and (allegedly) have the best band in the southwest.....AND we now have the most ideal venue in which to put on a game day show.

I (thankfully) never did that kind of marching when I was in high school (93-97). The latest trend is to modify show tunes into marching tunes and make complex shapes on the field. I think you can count the number of FBS schools on one or at best 2 hands that use the high step style of marching. I have never seen a TX HS use that style of marching.

The thing about high step marching is that you end up bouncing all over the place and so you might end up sacrificing looks for quality of sounds while moving. It also requires quite a bit of endurance from what I understand.

I agree it would be cool if our band played the opposing school's alma mater. It would be a great display of showmanship.

• Upvote 1