Can UNT's Derek Thompson get it done?

Harry

gallery_1_2_47390.jpg

No. 2 – Can Derek Thompson get it done?

I’m sitting in a log cabin out in a state park in East Texas on vacation, pondering the future of UNT football. Ok, not really, but I am taking a couple of minutes to jump back on the blog to continue our off-season questions series.

Today, we ponder UNT’s quarterback situation and Derek Thompson.

Thompson put up some pretty impressive numbers last season, throwing for 2,649 yards and 14 touchdowns. He threw for 200 yards in seven straight games.

Was Thompson perfect? No.

No quarterback ever is.

Was he pretty good at times? Yeah.

Thompson threw for 333 yards against Louisiana-Monroe, 316 against Arkansas State and 282 yards against Louisiana-Lafayette, including hitting Antoinne Jimmerson with a short pass he turned into a 78-yard touchdown catch.

The problem was that Thompson also made a few key mistakes, including an interception Jonathan Dowling returned for a touchdown that turned the tide in a season-ending 25-loss to Western Kentucky.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/post-spring-questions-series-no-2-can-derek-thompson-get-it-done.html/

This post has been promoted to an article

I love how Vito fails to mention DT's bad games and hints that his struggles are because of our lack of skill players. Give me a break...

No he won't get it done and if he is our QB the entire year we're looking at another 4-8 record

I have the same take on Thompson as you do, but did you really expect anything different from this article?
  • Upvote 1

Short answer...YES HE CAN!

Last night at the Caravan Mac mentioned that Burglund is a distant third on the depth chart at the moment and that our two other QB's were way ahead of him...mainly due to lack of time due to injury during spring ball. I got the sense last night at the Caravan that the QB position was far down the list of worries that Mac has going into fall ball.

This will be an interesting "battle" in fall practice. I believe those who discount DT's ability to win this battle will be in for more than a few surprises.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm going to throw out a definitive maybe. I would probably be doubtful about it had he not looked better in many ways prior to last season. His red zone performance has got to take a major leap forward, because moving the ball and controlling the clock just isn't going to cut it w/o the points to go along with it.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to throw out a definitive maybe. I would probably be doubtful about it had he not looked better in many ways prior to last season. His red zone performance has got to take a major leap forward, because moving the ball and controlling the clock just isn't going to cut it w/o the points to go along with it.

His red zone performance is a product of his skill set. I got bashed for being too critical of him, but he struggles with accuracy (as we all know) and he has below average arm strength. Throwing windows are tighter and close quicker in the red zone. QBs have to be accurate and have to zing the football in tight spaces quickly sometimes. He struggles with this, we struggle in the red zone. And in general (105th in the nation in scoring).
  • Upvote 3

I think he can, but it's pretty clear that he's going to be a bus driver type QB under Mac---which means that the rest of the team needs to step up around him. It's not sexy, but he's just not the Johnny Manziel/Ryan Aplin/Kurt Browning type of QB that can win a game single handedly. There is nothing wrong with that, contrary to what so many post on this site.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't it be nice if all Derek had to do was let his weapons do their own work and not turn the ball over? We have a ball control, smash mouth type of offense and Mac HATES turnovers. If Byrd and Jim Jim can pound the ball and we can throw high completion percentage passes to guys like Terrell then yes I do believe he can be successful against some of the teams on our schedule. I don't know if we have the horses to pull that off against Tulsa, Ohio or Rice --

We have a LOT more offensive weapons this season and a deeper O-Line that's not yet counting Loving at tight end who could be pretty special... we shall see! GMG

Consider how he ranked last year in the quarterback statistics:

The 14 touchdowns that Vito hailed ranked tied for 75th nationally; 7th in the Sun Belt.

His completion percentage was 83rd nationally; 9th in the Belt.

Thompson's Total Yards was his best statistic. He was 63rd nationally and 5th in the conference (his only statistic that was in the upper half).

Derek's Yards Per Attempt was tied for 65th nationally and tied for 7th in the SBC.

His Quarterback Rating was 84th nationally and 9th in the conference.

Lastly, his 14 interceptions did not rate nationally because it only listed the Top 100. Number 100 had 10 interceptions; 4 less that DT. He ranked 14th in the conference; 10th if you consider only starters.

No doubt the competition will make him better but enough for at least a break-even record?

• Upvote 2

Wouldn't it be nice if all Derek had to do was let his weapons do their own work and not turn the ball over? We have a ball control, smash mouth type of offense and Mac HATES turnovers. If Byrd and Jim Jim can pound the ball and we can throw high completion percentage passes to guys like Terrell then yes I do believe he can be successful against some of the teams on our schedule. I don't know if we have the horses to pull that off against Tulsa, Ohio or Rice --

We have a LOT more offensive weapons this season and a deeper O-Line that's not yet counting Loving at tight end who could be pretty special... we shall see! GMG

Yes, the offense is improved, or so it seems. As for Byrd, he didn't score a single touchdown in the redzone last year against FBS opponents. He and Thompson both struggle in the red zone. Jimmerson or Pegram should be our goal line backs, unless Byrd decides to keep his head up when he runs and not just dive straight into the center's behind.

It all comes down to points. If Thompson and Byrd improve then we'll be better, obviously. If they repeat their performances from last year then we have other candidates to get the job done.

• Upvote 1

Yes, the offense is improved, or so it seems. As for Byrd, he didn't score a single touchdown in the redzone last year against FBS opponents. He and Thompson both struggle in the red zone. Jimmerson or Pegram should be our goal line backs, unless Byrd decides to keep his head up when he runs and not just dive straight into the center's behind.

It all comes down to points. If Thompson and Byrd improve then we'll be better, obviously. If they repeat their performances from last year then we have other candidates to get the job done.

I agree about Byrd but man he seemed to add something this spring... we shall see and who knows if spring means anything but he sure looked impressive.

And let me say for the record I haven't given up on Berglund. I think he will come ready to impress this Fall and make it a tough decision on the coaches. As I have stated before, throwing Berglund into the wolves could be the best for the long term of the program because I think he could notch some big upsets in time... that said, he will make mistakes and Mac needs to win this year (sorry Meanrob we just have to disagree on that). Thompson is the safest option Mac has heading into this critical year.

We've already seen what DT can do behind an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the nation. I don't believe he has it in him to quit locking onto receivers and throwing off his back foot. That being said, I don't think Mac takes him off the field unless he's injured.

• Upvote 3

We've already seen what DT can do behind an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the nation. I don't believe he has it in him to quit locking onto receivers and throwing off his back foot. That being said, I don't think Mac takes him off the field unless he's injured.

Yep this about sums it up for me. If Mac is publicly stating that BB is a DISTANT third on the depth chart then that is bad news folks. BAD NEWS.

• Upvote 2

+a lot, sir.

I'm prepared to see us win about 3 or 4 games at best if Thompson is the qb all year. He doesn't have it. Scott Hall had it. Mitch Maher had it. Scott Davis had it. Since 1988, that's your UNT QB list of highly accomplished leaders. Andrew Smith might have had it but we will never know. Woody Wilson might have had it, but he wasn't given a fair shake here. But Derek Thompson looks like Daniel Meager, Matt Phillips, Richard Bridges, Jason Attaway, Jason Mills, etc...folks who were good guys, but not good QBs for an entire season.

If DT is your QB, I see the following games as possible wins: Idaho, Tulane, UTSA, and maybe UTEP. That's it.

If Berglund cannot beat Thompson and McNulty out, I have severe doubts he will ever play here. The interesting part of this for UNT fans following the program right now is to see who progresses more--Scotty Young at La Tech or Berglund here. If Scotty Young leads La Tech to bowl eligibility (who knows if snooty La Tech will ever go to a bowl game that is beneath them) and we are just a 4 win team or worse, I wouldn't want to be Dan McCarney having to answer about that. La Tech is replacing almost their entire starting units and have a brand new coach--granted, he is experienced and has won at other places as a head coach before--so expecting any huge season out of them will sit squarely on Young's shoulders in Ruston. This is a team that we all should expect our program to be able to compete with in Year 3 of the current regime. But I just don't know if DT is the QB here if we can really stay with them--and that won't help recruiting pick up one bit if we keep losing to the current CUSA teams that we are supposed to recruit against.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like Derek Thompson. But, it's not a question of him getting it done. It's a question of the team around him nutting up and getting it done with him. On paper, he's got more talent at receiver this year. We'll see soon enough.

But, paper doesn't play the games. The defensive line must overachieve, and more playmakers must emerge at receiver.

Don't be gay.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I like Derek Thompson. But, it's not a question of him getting it done. It's a question of the team around him nutting up and getting it done with him. On paper, he's got more talent at receiver this year. We'll see soon enough.

But, paper doesn't play the games. The defensive line must overachieve, and more playmakers must emerge at receiver.

Don't be gay.

Jason Collins hates this post...

• Upvote 3

I liked how Vito mentioned his 14 td's but not his 14 picks. Also how he had 7 straight 200 yards games. 200 yards games don't mean jack. That's like saying a running back ran for at least 66 yards.

Especially when we're always playing from behind and we have to air the ball out to play catch up.

What happens when we are playing with a lead? See western Kentucky game after DT's pick six. No confidence to throw the ball.

I feel like something's up. I really feel like Mac is trying to egg Berglund on and make him come out and take the spot this fall. The confidence that Mac is stating he has in DT is fabricated in my opinion.

As 90 said, Mac doesn't let DT throw the ball on first down or when we have a lead for that matter. He and Chico do not trust him to take over the ball game even though opposing defensive coordinators dare him to. I just don't see how we can win games with a qb that the coaches don't trust.

Conspiracy theorist post over.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What I am afraid I am hearing (yes it’s between the lines) from Coach Mac is someone who is going to try and play NOT TO LOSE as compared to someone who is willing to put it on the line and take chances. It’s reminds me a little of the “Dickey Ball” days – however the competition is a lot tougher these days. I hope I turn out to be wrong, but I’m not getting that feeling.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Especially when we're always playing from behind and we have to air the ball out to play catch up.

What happens when we are playing with a lead? See western Kentucky game after DT's pick six. No confidence to throw the ball.

I feel like something's up. I really feel like Mac is trying to egg Berglund on and make him come out and take the spot this fall. The confidence that Mac is stating he has in DT is fabricated in my opinion.

As 90 said, Mac doesn't let DT throw the ball on first down or when we have a lead for that matter. He and Chico do not trust him to take over the ball game even though opposing defensive coordinators dare him to. I just don't see how we can win games with a qb that the coaches don't trust.

Conspiracy theorist post over.

Not to fuel that fire, but you don't randomly ask Derek Thompson to lose weight in order for him to be more mobile...

" I believe those who discount DT's ability to win this battle will be in for more than a few surprises."

You ENTIRELY miss the point. Winning our QB "battle" isn't the issue...it's winning games. If he's our "best" option, and that best option again has a 1:1 TD to INT ratio, we lose. Plain and simple.

• Upvote 3