Soccer ref punched in the face by teen player dies

As a referee myself, I would never...never...referee games within an unsanctioned league as this referee was doing. The risks far outweigh any reason for doing so. This is a tragic situation. Really feel bad for this ref and his family.

KRAM1, on 05 May 2013 - 20:15, said:

As a referee myself, I would never...never...referee games within an unsanctioned league as this referee was doing. The risks far outweigh any reason for doing so. This is a tragic situation. Really feel bad for this ref and his family.

Honest question. Sanctioned by whom? And how does sanctioning increase ref safety from unruly, short-tempered players?
  • Upvote 1

"UNSANCTIONED LEAGUE"

I don't think a sanction keeps someone from hitting someone else in the face, pulling their hair and elbow jamming them, stepping on their legs, or keeps parents from pulling guns at kid baseball games.

"UNSANCTIONED LEAGUE"

I don't think a sanction keeps someone from hitting someone else in the face, pulling their hair and elbow jamming them, stepping on their legs, or keeps parents from pulling guns at kid baseball games.

Not initially but some leagues ban players for bad/unsportsmanlike behavior. I suspect "sanctioned" leagues have a Code of Conduct that players agree to follow.

"UNSANCTIONED LEAGUE"

Honest question. Sanctioned by whom? And how does sanctioning increase ref safety from unruly, short-tempered players?

Sanctioned by the local soccer association that is itself sanctioned at the State and National levels by United States Soccer Federation. The same governing body that sanctions the US professional league, our World Cup teams, etc.

And, yes, indeed it does help. That referee was not covered by the insurance provided by USSF by refereeing in an unsanctioned league. The incidences of "bad behavior" by players and fans alike is MUCH MUCH greater in these unsanctioned leagues. If you read the article you saw where this refs family did not want him refereeing in that unsanctioned league, but he chose to do so anyway. Often these unsanctioned leagues will have players who have been kicked out of the sanctioned leagues for "bad behavior" and also coaches and officials who cannot pass the background checks that are mandatory in sanctioned leagues. Also, in every sanctioned league where I have refereed there is a disciplinary committee that deals with players and coaches who display aggressive behavior...not so in unsanctioned leagues and I can all but promise you that this kid has a history of aggressive behavior on the soccer field.

Now, does sanctioning keep it all under control...and can it stop random acts of aggression...of course not. But odds and statistics are much better...MUCH...when working within sanctioned leagues. In fact, if a USSF licensed and certified referee does work one of these unsanctioned games, they are not allowed to wear their USSF referee badge...many still do, but it is not allowed under the rules. We have all seen "stuff" happen in sanctioned leagues as well, but I'd much rather have the odds in my favor than not. And, I rather have the "protection" offered by the national federation, state association and local association than not.

In my opinion, this referee, who certainly did not deserve to be attacked, made a very bad personal decision that directly led to his death. I can assure you that officials other than his family had warned him not to referee those games.

Really sad when this crap happens. It was a random spur of the moment thing that resulted in a real tragedy for this referee and his family. So very sad.

• Upvote 2

"In my opinion, this referee, who certainly did not deserve to be attacked, made a very bad personal decision that directly led to his death."

I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure the assault directly led to his death.

And, I am pretty sure if the ref had not made the decision to work in this unsanctioned league that the assault on him would never have occurred. I am no doctor either, but I do understand that choices and personal decisions sometimes have consequences that lead to tragic events.

Just like the robber who steals at gunpoint, runs from the cops and gets shot dead by the pursuing officer. Yep, the gunshot actually was the cause of death, but the poor decision made to rob the store was pretty much the action that put everything in motion.

Placing no blame on the ref, just acknowledging that his decision...made after being asked by family members and cautioned by the USSF about working in unsanctioned leagues made a personal decision to ref in that league. That decision led to a very tragic accident thus changing the lives forever of a great number of people. I am not interested to trying to split hairs with you nor trying to make this into anything it is not...find something else to pick an argument about...you'll get none here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1