Scotty Young, La. Tech’s starting QB

Harry

In Colorado they group public and private schools together. Berglund competed for Valpr Christian in 3A and then 4A. Valor Christian is now 5A.

Yup, just looked it up. They merge them maybe(just guessing) due to the lack of numbers of high schools? For instance, the year Valor won the 4A state championship with BB, there were only 16 teams in the playoffs. Valor only had to win 4 games.

As for track, I gotta give him credit for his 6th place finish in the 200 Meters as a Junior in 2010.http://co.milesplit.com/meets/62707/results/125202,...with a time of 22.45. Not an easy feat for a tall runner for sure.

But for comparison sake, in the 2010 4A Texas UIL State Championship meet a 22.45 would earn you a tie for 87th place.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Yup, just looked it up. They merge them maybe(just guessing) due to the lack of numbers of high schools? For instance, the year Valor won the 4A state championship with BB, there were only 16 teams in the playoffs. Valor only had to win 4 games.

As for track, I gotta give him credit for his 6th place finish in the 200 Meters as a Junior in 2010.http://co.milesplit.com/meets/62707/results/125202,...with a time of 22.45. Not an easy feat for a tall runner for sure.

But for comparison sake, in the 2010 4A Texas UIL State Championship meet a 22.45 would earn you a tie for 87th place.

Rick

Good info -- now where I will agree with you 100% is the fact that the level of athlete you would find in Texas is going to be much stronger then what you would find in a state like Colorado.

"Valor Christian kicked out of football league, forced to go independent:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/preps/2012/01/19/valor-christian-kicked-out-of-football-league-forced-to-go-independent/4540/

AURORA — Valor Christian will now be an independent in football, too. The private school powerhouse, moving up to 5A in the next two-year cycle, was kicked out of the proposed Pioneer League at CHSAA’s legislative council meeting today.

The vote needed a two-thirds margin to pass. It got just that, with no room to spare: 40 in favor, 20 opposed.

Apparently the good folks in Colorado are sick of the cheating going on as it's enough to give them the edge when compared to the few schools they compete against.

Interestingly, there are only 10 high schools in the county Valor plays in. There are 6 high schools in Mansfield School District alone.

Rick

From what I see give BB a chance either way. He may have the stuff.

Of course they are going to stick with the starter in Spring ball. It's only 3 weeks of practices then a ball game where everyone brother in laws each other. Even focused guys are more concerned about staying healthy and the sun dresses coming out. Once the dog days hit everyone will get their game face on and play hard.

Not 100% on this but I believe Scotty has two years of eligibility and Brock has three. So that played a factor as well.

Yeah I was wondering about that. 2 years before transferring, did he use a redshirt either year? Then sat out a year...but if he redshirted he'd still have 3 years left, right?

Yeah I was wondering about that. 2 years before transferring, did he use a redshirt either year? Then sat out a year...but if he redshirted he'd still have 3 years left, right?

Scotty is high school class of 2010. He will be a redshirt junior this season.

Brock is high school class of 2011. He will be a redshirt sophomore this season.

Rivals rated Young at 5.8 and Bergland at 5.7 (virtually even).

Young Offers out of HS

Texas Tech

Arizona

Baylor

Rice

SMU

Bergland offers out of HS

Kansas

Boise

Colorado

Colorado State

Duke

Kansas State

Minnesota

San Diego State

Tulsa

UCLA

Utah

Washington State

Wyoming

Bergland was the Colorado HS Player of the Year, a member of the state championship relay team and finished 4th in the 200 meter.Not exactly void of talent. Tech did not have a returning starting QB so it was much easier for Young to step in. Bergland is as good as catch for us and Young was for Tech.

Time will tell.

I didn't know we had 2 starting QBs returning...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1