Conner Cleveland - Fulton Academy

Harry

When it comes to high school basketball, its not uncommon to see one player take over a game on a regular basis. What you might not often see is a single player outscoring the opposing team.

However, in the case of Fulton Academy senior Conner Cleveland, such a feat is nothing to bat an eye at. After all, Cleveland did it a few times during the 2012-13 season.

Cleveland, a 6-1 senior point guard for the Falcons, had three games in which he single-handedly outscored the opposition, including once in a playoff game. He also matched the scoring output by an opponent in another contest.

In a TAPPS 2-1A playoff game against Amarillo Ascension, Cleveland torched the nets for 43 points in a 71-42 victory. Earlier in the season, he pumped in 43 points in a 74-43 win over East Texas Christian. Less than a week later, Cleveland had 32 points in an 81-17 win and dropped in 35 points the next day during an 80-31 victory.

The crazy thing is that Im not selfish on the court, Cleveland said. Im the point guard and Im looking to score but I dont try to do too much. During that game when I scored 43 I just attacked the basket and got to the free throw line a lot.

Cleveland led the Falcons to the regional round of the playoffs after Fulton captured a district championship with a perfect 8-0 mark in league play. Cleveland was named Most Valuable Player in the district and earned First Team All-State honors from TAPPS.

Next month, he will play in a TAPPS all-star game featuring first team all-state selections from all five classifications.

Cleveland has come a long way in the game of basketball, considering the game wasnt his first love.

I played football and basketball and didnt start playing basketball until I was 9 years old, playing in the Upward League at Lake Pointe, he said. I quit football after my eighth grade year and focused more on basketball, but didnt get really serious until my junior year. Now its all I do.

Cleveland played basketball at Heath High School until midway through his junior year when he transfered to Fulton. His dedication to the game and skillset gave him the opportunity to play AAU basketball, which gives him more opportunities to be noticed by college scouts. So far, Eastern Kentucky, UNT, Dallas Baptist, Oklahoma Wesleyan and Southwestern Assemblies of God (SAGU) have shown considerable interest.

Read more: http://rockwallheraldbanner.com/local/x1499309924/Fulton-hoopster-eyes-bigger-goals-after-stellar-season

Relax, everyone. With the time zone issue, Southwestern Assemblies of God doesn't get anywhere near the media coverage or inflated reputation of Northeastern Assemblies of God.

Some say their location and potential makes Southwestern Assemblies of God a sleeping giant... But I think we may have a shot at winning this battle.

Relax, everyone. With the time zone issue, Southwestern Assemblies of God doesn't get anywhere near the media coverage or inflated reputation of Northeastern Assemblies of God.

Some say their location and potential makes Southwestern Assemblies of God a sleeping giant... But I think we may have a shot at winning this battle.

But they can probably offer more classes on how to be a better father.

• Upvote 1

Once again, kids often Google their names to see what is being written or said about them. Any young man that is filling it up for 40+ deserves a look. Who knows, he could end up a HOF'er, so let's give him a chance and hold the Benford attacks for threads dedicated to his demise.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Once again, kids often Google their names to see what is being written or said about them. Any young man that is filling it up for 40+ deserves a look. Who knows, he could end up a HOF'er, so let's give him a chance and hold the Benford attacks for threads dedicated to his demise.

True dat. I highly doubt the Southeastern Assembly School of God message board is talking about him this way.

• Upvote 1

And here is the first "diamond in the rough" post.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It's just hard for me to get too worked up over a kid until we see him in a NT uniform. Mitchell was an exception obviously, but one rarely knows just how good (or out of their depth) these kids are until you see'em play at this level for awhile.

• Upvote 1

Heath Fulton School is TAPPS 1A and has an enrollment of 30. Not 30 in the senior class, that's 30 in grades 9-12. The basketball is about the quality of a good middle school A team. Not saying the kid can't play, he very well could be a hardwood Tim Tebow. But let him walk on and earn a Division I scholarship.

I don't know a thing about this young man just making a statement. Have you seen him play?

I've seen his offers. That's more than enough.

You do realize that 40 point game was against 1A high school competition, no?

I mean, when you are taking on such powers as Christian Home Educators, you have got to be a D1 prospect, no?

Here is a Link for a Conner Cleveland's junior year at Rockwall Heath. Being that the article quoted in the original post, I would think this is the same player. Unless he had a HUGE bounce in basketball ability his senior season, it looks like he is going to have a tough adjustment at the D2 level, much less at UNT:

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/player/default.aspx?athleteid=94f06384-1b72-48e4-90ae-18db927e7e1a&ssid=67fccc32-381d-49f5-9f6d-a85ab14533b1

Here is a partial list of schools that he played at Fulton Academy:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/WjpMq0hNZUelVWvtxb6tvg/basketball-winter-12-13/athlete_notes-conner--cleveland.htm

Still think he is a diamond in the rough?

Edited by UNT90