Food was the early incentive for former NFL player

Harry

Shortly after Womble graduated from Mansfield, he was convinced by a friend to take a car ride up to Denton for what was supposed to be a football tryout.

Three weeks later, he had a scholarship, a dorm and a pair of cleats as a member of the North Texas State Mean Green.

I will always, always be thankful for North Texas State, he said. But I was more impressed with the free food and the gorgeous girls than anything else. I just couldnt believe that football could get you something like that.

These days, Womble and a motley crew of characters cut up the worlds problems each morning at a local coffee shop.

Tennessee Titans scout C.O. Broccato is usually among them and said he doesnt know much about Wombles playing career, except that he is generally appreciated as one of the first pass-catching running backs.

He had good hands, Broccato said. Royce was way ahead of his time and he fell to the right person in Coach (Weeb) Ewbank. He wasnt a speedy guy, but he could catch the football and he was tough.

The playing days

After his college eligibility was up, Womble spent two and half years doing his bit in the Navy before friend and fellow North Texas alum Ray Renfro talked Womble into visiting with new Baltimore Colts coach Weeb Ewbank, who was traveling through the Metroplex.

Renfro, whom Womble said was the greatest player he played with, played 12 seasons with the Cleveland Browns and knew Ewbank from his time as an assistant to coach Paul Brown.

Ewbank and the Colts front office offered Womble a $5,500 free agent contract for the 1954 season, contingent upon him making the team at training camp in Maryland.

It was in camp at what was formerly known as Western Maryland College that Womble got another dose of good food and fortune.

You know we stayed in the dorms there, he said. Practices werent easy, but I wasnt all that worried because they fed you like youd never seen before.

The Colts were a fledgling organization at the time having completed what is considered its inaugural season in the NFL at 3-9.

Ewbank, who succeeded Keith Molesworth, liked what he saw in versatility and the last day of camp featured a roster with Wombles name on it. According to Elias Sports Bureau, Womble is the first player from a Mansfield school to play in the NFL.

He played 12 games and carried the ball 60 times for 170 yards. What was striking about Wombles official numbers is that he never scored a rushing touchdown in his career and had 30 receptions for 338 yards and three receiving touchdowns in his first year.

Womble made enough of an impact, though, to make an impression on at least one teammate.

Defensive back and future Hall of Fame coach Don Shula remembered Wombles ability.

He was a guy that had the right speed, good hands and ability to change direction, Shula said. He fit in real well with his teammates and I don't recall anything negative about that guy. He was just a player that wanted to be the best he could be."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/04/17/4779099/food-was-the-early-incentive-for.html#storylink=cpy

Great Fort Worth Star Telegram article on our fellow UNT alum Royce Womble....and a very long feature to boot!

Memory loss....but what was his son's name?

GMG!

PS: In his last few years, UNT great Ray Renfro worked for North Texas alum Jim Rainboldt, ie, the owner of Tarrant Concrete. If you ever drive around Fort Worth very much, you will see one of his concrete trucks.

When I was more involved, I once had Rainboldt come out to a UNT get-together out at the Coors Hospitality Room on North Freeway and Meacham Exit. I also asked him to bring one of his trucks that had the old "Corky Nelson era" logo (parakeet thru a hoola-hoop) all over that truck. Chancellor/President Dr. Al Hurley and a few of his assistant I had invited to this gathering got a real kick out of that truck. Jim Rainboldt was also a basketball letterman at North Texas and to this day I still see his trucks so business must still be quite good for Tarrant Concrete.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1