I'll catch flack, BUT...

BIG DAWG

The only way McCarney gets fired after this year is if we win 2 games or less. 3-5 wins probably will guarantee a 4th year. 6 wins or more should get him an extension--one that would be greatly deserved at that point for building this thing up from the literal ashes of the regimes before him. The thing about a buyout is that this place doesn't have the money or the BOR support to buy two full years of the largest contract ever given to a coach in our history. McCarney makes $600k per year. We couldn't afford to buy out Todd Dodge after three years in which he won 5 games, including a wonderful 2-10 year in his third year. His buyout would have cost less than one year of McCarney's salary and we still decided that was not financially prudent. Instead, we were completely content with seeing if Todd Dodge could finally figure it all out in his 4th year, where he managed to win 1 game out of the first 7 he coached that year. We cannot or will not buy out a contract of that magnitude.

I'll be shocked if McCarney isn't our coach in 2014. That will be his make-it-or break-it year. If we finish 2014 with less than 6 wins, his buyout will then be acceptable and we will get a new coach then, probably someone who won't cost too much, since we will have to pay out that final year of McCarney's contract. McCarney knows all of this. These next two years are his bread and butter years to turn this thing into a winner. We will see how it goes, but I believe in him and his experience. I also believe in his eye for talent. He will choose the guy at QB that he knows can become a winner. It won't matter who starts against Idaho or Georgia, those should be a W and a L, no matter what. Its the other 10 games that matter and I believe that Mac will get Berglulnd in the starting role as soon as he knows he's ready, whether that's in the fall camp, in OOC, or in the beginning of SBCUSA play.

If we only win 3 games McCarney should be fired immediately after the season.