I was wrong: Banowsky is a genius

I mean, he took the C-USA, cleared out the most competitive programs, and replaced them with a whole other conference.

All that's left to do now is change the conference name to either C-Belt or Sun-USA. Although, they probably have too much old C-USA stationary in the office supply closet to change this year. Hate to waste all that money on supplies and not use them.

The only real question remaining is who will end up with Abilene Christian in a few years. Banowsky has the edge with his church of Christ background and ties. But, Karl Benson is an expert at hodge-podging uncompetitive conferences together. It will be a real dogfight to land ACU. Wonder if Vegas will lay odds.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

I mean, he took the C-USA, cleared out the most competitive programs, and replaced them with a whole other conference.

All that's left to do now is change the conference name to either C-Belt or Sun-USA. Although, they probably have too much old C-USA stationary in the office supply closet to change this year. Hate to waste all that money on supplies and not use them.

The only real question remaining is who will end up with Abilene Christian in a few years. Banowsky has the edge with his church of Christ background and ties. But, Karl Benson is an expert at hodge-podging uncompetitive conferences together. It will be a real dogfight to land ACU. Wonder if Vegas will lay odds.

You are dangerously close to a -1 with this post. I'll let you go with a yellow card this time. Please go and meditate on ways you can purge your UNT90 thought patterns. If you need inspiration, focus on in-state programs and dropping ULM. Carry on and stop ruining my CUSA buzz.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You are dangerously close to a -1 with this post. I'll let you go with a yellow card this time. Please go and meditate on ways you can purge your UNT90 thought patterns. If you need inspiration, focus on in-state programs and dropping ULM. Carry on and stop ruining my CUSA buzz.

If you still have a C-USA buzz, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who needs to meditate. Medicate, maybe. But, meditate, no.

Think of it this way, channeling either your inner Darrell Dickey or Todd Dodge: Banowsky used "stealth" realignment to take Wrights Waters' old Sun Belt job without even having to apply for the position!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Don't forget about the epic battle for Lamar that should get rolling very soon, too. They will be a terrific add to the SBC, in my opinion. I'm serious.

The biggest thing that sucks about CUSA and the SBC adding these FCS startups is that having 124+ schools that are defined as FBS will just shorten the time until that future culling occurs within the FBS standard. It was hard enough for the AQs to accept the SBC teams as being considered FBS, even though the deck is way stacked against them. They still don't like that the number of Division 1 teams has gotten that high and will only get higher in the coming years. Just like they did in the early 80s, they will get the NCAA to reduce that number to a more "appropriate" number. HIstory may not repeat itself, but it often rhymes...that future culling will look a lot like the old 1-aa.

I still have a CUSA buzz. Call me crazy but I am trumpeting the fact that my university is about to play in CUSA.

Not sure what all the negative nellies really want us to do at this point other than put on a Johnny Football shirt and TAMU belt - both which I own by the way. However, never switching my allegiance from the Green.

Glad about CUSA

Looking forward to the upcoming season

Ready to win now and return to bowl games in 13!

GMG

• Upvote 1

Can someone explain to me why this thread complaining about our new conference is different than the other threads complaining about our new conference?

Yes. Most just complain that the C-USA will not be the C-USA we joined. In the end, it will be, it appears, the entire Sun Belt, some startups, and a couple of C-USA schools no one else wants.

I think it's important to remind people that the C-USA commish isn't really much better than the much maligned Karl Benson, or the voluntarily departed Wright Waters. Banowsky obviously had no feel for the undercurrent of the old C-USA members as far as expansion.

Last May, no one would have been jumping up and down with excitement to know that less than a year later that the C-USA would shortly become the Sun Belt, some startups, UAB, and Southern Miss...oh yeah, and Rice.

The schools should be honest with where they are in the pecking order, look at a map to see where they are geographically, and form two or three conferences of the remaining pariahs of the FBS world.

• Upvote 1

I am struggling to understand why you are not excited to play Rice, UTEP, La Tech and possibly Southern Miss every year. Those are juicy programs with some very nice followings, good facilities, national championships and name recognition. It is almost as if we are not playing Tech, Oklahoma, TAMU, Texas and Houston some are not interested.

I am very interested and we will have our hands full.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Loss of Tulsa, ECU, & Tulane are more than replaced by MTSU, WKU, and the 5,000,000 Miami metroplex. We have UTEP, Rice, LA Tech,& UTSA with which to build rivalries. Only adding ULaLa & Ark. State will balance the divisions and make C-USA better. I'm proud for UNT to be a member. Until we win and draw we are in the best place possible and above what we deserve looking at our performance in the SBC.

Loss of Tulsa, ECU, & Tulane are more than replaced by MTSU, WKU, and the 5,000,000 Miami metroplex. We have UTEP, Rice, LA Tech,& UTSA with which to build rivalries. Only adding ULaLa & Ark. State will balance the divisions and make C-USA better. I'm proud for UNT to be a member. Until we win and draw we are in the best place possible and above what we deserve looking at our performance in the SBC.

I'd be more excited about the addition of the Miami market if it wasn't one of the worst sports towns in America.

• Upvote 1

Yes. Most just complain that the C-USA will not be the C-USA we joined. In the end, it will be, it appears, the entire Sun Belt, some startups, and a couple of C-USA schools no one else wants.

I think it's important to remind people that the C-USA commish isn't really much better than the much maligned Karl Benson, or the voluntarily departed Wright Waters. Banowsky obviously had no feel for the undercurrent of the old C-USA members as far as expansion.

Last May, no one would have been jumping up and down with excitement to know that less than a year later that the C-USA would shortly become the Sun Belt, some startups, UAB, and Southern Miss...oh yeah, and Rice.

The schools should be honest with where they are in the pecking order, look at a map to see where they are geographically, and form two or three conferences of the remaining pariahs of the FBS world.

Still don't see a difference.

• Upvote 1

I am struggling to understand why you are not excited to play Rice, UTEP, La Tech and possibly Southern Miss every year. Those are juicy programs with some very nice followings, good facilities, national championships and name recognition. It is almost as if we are not playing Tech, Oklahoma, TAMU, Texas and Houston some are not interested.

I am very interested and we will have our hands full.

GMG

Welcome to the unfortunate state of UNT Football in this state. If you weren't SWC--or the Oklahoma schools int he old Big Eight, around here, to students, alumni, and the local residents of Denton, we literally don't matter. I guarantee you that Texas, A&M, OU, and Tech have more interest in their games from Dentonites than we do.

I like CUSA, even if has turned into SBC 2.0, but it is an improvement and we are in better shape playing La Tech than ULM, playing UAB than South Alabama, and playing Southern Miss than Troy as conference mates. Is it a ton better? Not really. But it is better. And it would be even better with Arky State and ULL, coming into replace Tulane and Tulsa here in the western part of the league.

Yes. and a couple of C-USA schools no one else wants we all seemed to have wanted.

I still want them, and this negativity about everyone jumping ship is just worrying about something that may or may never happen. Not going to bother myself with it. Looking forward to regional rivalries with UTEP, Rice, and yes, even UTSA. Bring it on. I'm excited, maybe some people seem to forget that we actually were in the Sun Belt last year? So this is - at worst- SunBelt+

• Upvote 1