More on Ernie Kuehne

Harry

I'm not sure everyone knows that much about our generous new Board of Regent Member whose name adorns the new basketball practice facility and also winner of the 2013 Uyls Knight Spirit award.

One big thing you notice is he raised some damn good golfers -- Ernie's children -- Kelli, Trip and Hank -- have won more United States Golf Association championships than any family in history.

Here's a link to a video and bio of him from the UNT Alumni Awards page: http://www.unt.edu/alumniawards/2013/recipients.htm

Ulys Knight Spirit Award

Ernie Kuehne ('66)

Ernie Kuehne Jr., a native of Mart, Texas, came to the university in 1962 on a track scholarship. After earning his bachelor's degree in political science in 1966, Kuehne earned a law degree from Baylor University in 1969.

In August 2012, Kuehne chaired UNT's Basketball Enhancement Committee, which raised more than $3 million in gifts for a new basketball training facility, a state-of-the-art scoreboard in the UNT Coliseum and additional funding for scholarships. As part of that campaign, Kuehne presented the athletic department with a cornerstone $1 million gift. Texas Gov. Rick Perry appointed Kuehne to the University of North Texas System Board of Regents in January 2013.

Kuehne is president and board chairman of Kuehne Oil Co. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas. He is a member of the UNT President's Council, UNT McConnell Society and Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity Alumni Advisory Board, and a life member of the UNT Alumni Association and UNT Ex-Letterman's Association.

Kuehne is a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason and a volunteer for the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children and Greater Dallas Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. He is also past chair of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank Board of Directors, past president of the American Junior Golf Association and a past member of the Park Cities YMCA Sports Committee. Kuehne is very proud of his family members, particularly their successes on the golf course. The Kuehne family, Ernie's children -- Kelli, Trip and Hank -- have won more United States Golf Association championships than any family in history.

• 11 months later...

Did he letter in track?

Yes. He is a member of the Ex-Letterman's Association. I don't know who got Ernie involved but someone needs to be thanked as well. We are fortunate to have two BOR members (C. Dan Smith being the other) who are million dollars+ donors to athletics. Both are former lettermen and extremely pro-athletics.

• Upvote 6

Yes. He is a member of the Ex-Letterman's Association. I don't know who got Ernie involved but someone needs to be thanked as well. We are fortunate to have two BOR members (C. Dan Smith being the other) who are million dollars+ donors to athletics. Both are former lettermen and extremely pro-athletics.

I believe Mr. Smith has stepped down from the BOR, and I don't think Ernie is on the BOR. Maybe you're confusing him with Brint Ryan?

I believe Mr. Smith has stepped down from the BOR, and I don't think Ernie is on the BOR. Maybe you're confusing him with Brint Ryan?

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has appointed Ernie Kuehne, a University of North Texas alumnus and longtime Mean Green supporter, to the University of North Texas System Board of Regents. Kuehne’s appointment is effective immediately.

http://inhouse.unt.edu/governor-names-kuehne-unt-system-board-regents

EDIT: Although I don't see him listed at the BOR webpage: http://untsystem.edu/regents/profiles.htm

I'm not sure what the deal is there.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

http://inhouse.unt.edu/governor-names-kuehne-unt-system-board-regents

EDIT: Although I don't see him listed at the BOR webpage: http://untsystem.edu/regents/profiles.htm

I'm not sure what the deal is there.

It's the System - they're slow to update anything.

Thanks for the correction sirs. Silly me, I was looking at UNT's website for information...

amazing that no one (a reporter) has asked him. But, good for him, he is recieving the distinguished alumnus award next friday, and well deserved.

You are blaming Vito, but Vito is the NT sports beat writer, not the overall university. Seems like this is not in his area of responsibility.

• Upvote 2