Bad news on Quenton Brown

Harry

Really bad news. he was having a great spring. You could tell how upset he was at the scrimmage saturday when this happened.

Good luck, Quenton. Get well soon. Hope you have a speedy and full recovery!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They do typically grant those no?

Yes they do. His situation is different from say, TJ Taylor because Brown would've been perfectly eligible to play this season due to JUCO transfer rules.

The only hold up is that Mac is talking about getting him back on the field this season before conference play starts up. If he sits the season he should get the waiver.

• Upvote 1

Yes they do. His situation is different from say, TJ Taylor because Brown would've been perfectly eligible to play this season due to JUCO transfer rules.

The only hold up is that Mac is talking about getting him back on the field this season before conference play starts up. If he sits the season he should get the waiver.

I think if he could be 100% by the time conference starts you play him and ask questions later. I think he is that good and could perhaps be the difference in some conference games.

And you won't know if the medical redshirt is granted until well after the season is over. If he can go by conference season, and is truly healthy, play him.

The NCAA will find a way NOT to grant the redshirt when they read the name University of North Texas on the application.

Billy, I can't remember names, but we have had a number of players that perfectly qualify for the medical redshirt only to be denied. The only one I remember granted was to Riley the year he got the bad concussion (I know, whcih one).

• Upvote 2

Zach Muzzy is a name that pops up for me

And you won't know if the medical redshirt is granted until well after the season is over. If he can go by conference season, and is truly healthy, play him.

The NCAA will find a way NOT to grant the redshirt when they read the name University of North Texas on the application.

Billy, I can't remember names, but we have had a number of players that perfectly qualify for the medical redshirt only to be denied. The only one I remember granted was to Riley the year he got the bad concussion (I know, whcih one).

• Upvote 2

Didn't Thompson get a medical redshirt after he broke his leg vs Army?

No, he used a regular red shirt.

But thanks for bringing up memories of Dodge burning his shirt his true freshman year for the last 2 series in the last game of the year (a game that was unwinable in a season that was crap). ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The thing is DT will not end up using that medical redshirt even if it was issued, which I don't think occurred.

DT had a regular red shirt available at the time. He has been a starter ever since. He will probably see some time this year, even if he loses the job to Berglund. So even if he received the medical redshirt, UNT would have received no benefit from the medical redshirt.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 2

I don't believe Hardship Waivers/Medical Redshirts are granted until the player requesting the waiver has used up all of their eligibility. It is my understanding that Brown would request the waiver, after his senior season, in order to play a 5th year(if he missed out playing an entire year). Doesn't matter when the injury happened during the course of the players career but the waiver would be addressed after their senior year. There could be a difference in how JUCO Transfers are handled.

I don't believe Hardship Waivers/Medical Redshirts are granted until the player requesting the waiver has used up all of their eligibility. It is my understanding that Brown would request the waiver, after his senior season, in order to play a 5th year(if he missed out playing an entire year). Doesn't matter when the injury happened during the course of the players career but the waiver would be addressed after their senior year. There could be a difference in how JUCO Transfers are handled.

I think you are correct. Obviously, the player also can not have played 4 years when requesting the medical redshirt. If a medical shirt is granted, you have 6 years to play 4. Since Thompson will have played 4 years, he would not be eligible.

35 year old Case Keenum had only played 3 years in 5 when he requested and was granted a medical shirt. Dr. Keenum then got to play a 6th year.

I really wish they would do away with this rule, as it is obviously used to benefit the programs that the NCAA want it to benefit.

• Upvote 1