Friday Morning FB Practice Notes

Harry

Practice started before dawn today over at Apogee Stadium. Workouts the day before a scrimmage are usually nothing terribly interesting, but there were a few pretty big items of note .

First off, I got a chance to ask Dan McCarney about defensive tackle Dylan McDorman. McCarney confirmed that the McDorman has been forced to give up football due to continuing shoulder issues. UNT is really, really short on its defensive line across the board. A few guys will be back in the fall, including Ryan Boutwell and Brandon McCoy, but UNT is not going to be deep there no matter what happens now.

Don’t forget run-stuffing tackle Tevinn Cantly finished up last year. I’m not saying Cantly was an all-conference caliber player, but he did play quite a big. The development of guys like Alexander Lincoln becomes awfully important now.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/03/friday-morning-practice-notes.html/

"The other item of the day that jumped out at me was UNT is taking a look at Chad Polk as a speed rusher at defensive end. Polk is listed a 6-0, 226. I don’t think Polk will play at end a lot, but he could see time there."

Interesting. If he can give us any sort of edge on some passing downs, then great. However, my observations of practice so far has been that our current crop of DE's are plenty fast.

"The other item of the day that jumped out at me was UNT is taking a look at Chad Polk as a speed rusher at defensive end. Polk is listed a 6-0, 226. I dont think Polk will play at end a lot, but he could see time there."

Interesting. If he can give us any sort of edge on some passing downs, then great. However, my observations of practice so far has been that our current crop of DE's are plenty fast.

They've also given Jamal Marshall a chance at this speed rusher type role in practice.
  • Upvote 1

I really liked what I saw from him at OLB last year in limited duty. I hope the DE stuff is in very limited situations and that Polk wins the starting job at OLB. Great to have Wright out there too, either starting or backup. When Mac trusts a backup, they will play a good amount. When he doesn't, they sit (see only 6 players in the rotation at OL).

Definitely agree on Polk and Wright but as to the backup comment on OL rotation...I wonder how much is Mac and how much is Simmonds.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

Hmmm . . . Marcus Trice down to second-team safety. Not a shock, but a little surprising.

I am surprised he hasn't been able to beat out Harris or Chancellor for the punt or kick returner job. Isn't that what he did quit well at OU?

It's not like either Chancellor or Harris set the world on fire in those positions last year.

And I would love NEVER having to see Chancellor atrtempt to return a punt again in his time at UNT (not that he returns them, they usually bounce for an additional 10 to 15 yards of field position for the opponent).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1