Biggest UNT Spring Positional Battles

Harry

I like how close you are to the team. Marshall is trying to break into a position where it appears only 1 spot is open and he's going up against Polk and Wright as the frontrunners. I love the competition at that spot, and if you like Marshall that much, I'm excited about that competition as it looks like it just got tougher.

Plus, I thought your sleeper pick was Trussell? :whip:

Trussell is my sleeper pick on Offense. I just said Marshall was my sleeper pick at linebacker.

There are two parts to this. You have covered the first (getting to the point of attack in a timely manner), but the second, is what happens after that? Poor tackling has been part of our problems on defense, especially "open field" tackling....or the modern term "tackling in space".

Yeah, I love having linebackers who can play in space like Marshall, but linebackers still have to be able to tackle. We'll see though.

QB: DT vs. Berglund - It's DT's job to lose but everyone expects him to lose it to the top rated dual purpose QB prospect UNT has ever seen.

#2 RB: Pegram vs. Byrd - Both of these guys will be battling to show they are to be the guy behind Jim Jim.

Defensive Tackle: Big Abbe is back for his senior year and Ryan Boutwell will be healthy again. But neither had great seasons for UNT in 2012 and there will be a plethora of guys vying to unseed them and make a mark in rotation. Names include Dutton Watson, Alexander Lincoln, Sir Calvin Wallace, Austin Orr, Mustafa Haboul and possibly Malik Dilonga.

Feel free to add to this list. I'm not usually very excited about Spring but this one should be one of the more entertaining ones I can recall! GMG

If Berglund doesn't win the starting QB job, I think we will be in for a very long season.

I think Pegram will win the starting spot and Jimerson and Byrd will be battling for back up time.

Who wins the kick and punt return jobs will be fun to watch.

And what about TE? We'll have Daniel Prior back. He's not much known as a receiver, but he can lay out those OLBs. Highly regarded Chris Loving is coming in. Marcus Smith does bring receiving ability to the table. And steady Drew Miller will be back for his senior year, and ought to be viewed as the incumbent.

Anxious to see if Cooper Jones will figure into the mix as well.

• Upvote 1

I'm excited to see position battles at near every single position...the product of finally being back at the 85 scholarship total. I'd say really only Lemon, Y'Barbo, Akkune and Zach Orr should feel pretty comfortable in their starting spot...and none of them strike me as the type to be complacent.

That said, if quarterback turns into a legit position "battle", I think we're in for another long and frustrating season.

• Upvote 1

Or H-Back. Same for Daniel Prior. I think most of us are using the term "tight end" a little broadly here.

Yeah we could see formations where they were both in the backfield. I agree that tight end is a broad term in our offense, but Miller was between the qb and the tailback on pretty much a majority of the plays. You could justifiably call him an h-back, tight end, or fullback.

Where does Rollins fit in? I expect to see him on the field. Safety?

According to the roster Rollins has been moved to RB. I don't understand that move. Seemingly, that would put him fifth behind Jimmerson, Pegram, Byrd, and West. At worst, he would have been on the third unit at safety.

WHo is returning punts and kickoffs this year. Chancellor is fone for kick offs, but for pete's sake, please take hm off the field on punt returns.

I think it will be James Jones from Kilgore, but he will have some competition.

maybe I missed it, but one name I have not seen in this thread on DT's is Dylan Mcdorman. (spell check on his name) Connor brought him home a few weeks ago with Shaun Mckinney....first both are great kids....but I could tell Dylan has some nasty...I am anxious to see him this spring.

• Upvote 2

maybe I missed it, but one name I have not seen in this thread on DT's is Dylan Mcdorman. (spell check on his name) Connor brought him home a few weeks ago with Shaun Mckinney....first both are great kids....but I could tell Dylan has some nasty...I am anxious to see him this spring.

I have been thinking about him. I'd like him to show up big in some of the early games next fall.

• Upvote 1