Biggest UNT Spring Positional Battles

Harry

QB: DT vs. Berglund - It's DT's job to lose but everyone expects him to lose it to the top rated dual purpose QB prospect UNT has ever seen.

#2 RB: Pegram vs. Byrd - Both of these guys will be battling to show they are to be the guy behind Jim Jim.

Defensive Tackle: Big Abbe is back for his senior year and Ryan Boutwell will be healthy again. But neither had great seasons for UNT in 2012 and there will be a plethora of guys vying to unseed them and make a mark in rotation. Names include Dutton Watson, Alexander Lincoln, Sir Calvin Wallace, Austin Orr, Mustafa Haboul and possibly Malik Dilonga.

Feel free to add to this list. I'm not usually very excited about Spring but this one should be one of the more entertaining ones I can recall! GMG

QB: DT vs. Berglund - It's DT's job to lose but everyone expects him to lose it to the top rated dual purpose QB prospect UNT has ever seen.

#2 RB: Pegram vs. Byrd - Both of these guys will be battling to show they are to be the guy behind Jim Jim.

Defensive Tackle: Big Abbe is back for his senior year and Ryan Boutwell will be healthy again. But neither had great seasons for UNT in 2012 and there will be a plethora of guys vying to unseed them and make a mark in rotation. Names include Dutton Watson, Alexander Lincoln, Sir Calvin Wallace, Austin Orr, Mustafa Haboul and possibly Malik Dilonga.

Feel free to add to this list. I'm not usually very excited about Spring but this one should be one of the more entertaining ones I can recall! GMG

WR should be completely open sans Chancellor's spot. Obviously Terrell brings alot of excitement/hope, but we don't know much about him.

• Upvote 3

Cornerback is a big one, with who we have returning from last season plus Jones and Davis, it should be interesting.

From all the reviews we've heard and what Mac and staff have said I think it's Berglund's job to lose.

• Upvote 3

Cornerback is a big one

Absolutely. This one is right there with QB--and maybe more so, because there are so many variables. I love the talent coming in at this position. We'll see if it's good enough to unseat any of the experience we now have there.

I'm not sure what to make of the RB battle. I'm not sure that Jimmerson will be the starting RB. And even if he is, does that mean that he actually gets the lion's share of the carries? I could see RB being a 3-headed monster again.

• Upvote 1

And what about TE? We'll have Daniel Prior back. He's not much known as a receiver, but he can lay out those OLBs. Highly regarded Chris Loving is coming in. Marcus Smith does bring receiving ability to the table. And steady Drew Miller will be back for his senior year, and ought to be viewed as the incumbent.

Cornerback is a big one, with who we have returning from last season plus Jones and Davis, it should be interesting.

From all the reviews we've heard and what Mac and staff have said I think it's Berglund's job to lose.

I agree. I don't think there's much of a QB battle going into Spring. Unless, Brock gets hurt he's our man.

Obviously, all positions should be up for grabs; but I see only a few positions that won't be heavily contested. Orr and Akunne at linebackers, Chancellor at wr, and Y'Barbo, Johnson and Lemon in the ol are the only players I see that won't have a lot of competition.

QB: Thompson, Berglund and don't forget Dan's favorite McNulty

RB: Jimmerson, Byrd, Pegram

WR: Harris, Terrell, Smith, Pleasant, Lancaster and others

TE: Loving, Miller, Prior

OL: Anyiam, Manu, McKinney, others

DE: Bellazin, McCoy, Brown, others

DT: Boutwell, Abbe, Lincoln, others

LB: Polk, Smith, Wright

CB: Whitfield, Jones, Jackson, Buyers, others

S: Lee, Trice, Busby, others

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

What possibilities do we have in the WR rotation?

Carlos Harris emerged to contribute after CHancellor went down last year.

Delgado is gone

Can Teegarden finally get some significant PT?

Can Terrell be a transfer that DOESN'T bust? Tired of AQ guys coming here and not panning out, for whatever reason.

I see a lot of names that are unfamiliar to me. From MGS:

83 Caldwell, Carl WR 5-10 169 Sr. Whitehouse, TX (Kansas Wesleyan)
3 Chancellor, Brelan WR 5-9 183 Sr. Copperas Cove, TX (Copperas Cove HS)
31 Chelf, John WR 5-11 180 So. Iowa City, IA (Iowa)
29 Cowley, Spencer WR 6-1 190 RFr. Frisco, TX (Frisco Heritage HS)
9 Harris, Carlos WR 5-8 173 So. Frisco, TX (Frisco HS)
34 Hubbard, Willie WR 5-10 170 Jr. Euless, TX (Northeastern (Okla.) State)
85 Lancaster, Roderick WR 6-2 200 RFr. Dallas, TX (Life School of Oak Cliff)
17 Pleasant, Lynrick WR 6-2 200 Sr. Mesquite, TX (Mesquite HS)
87 Renger, Brett WR 5-11 202 So. Southlake, TX (Carroll HS)
82 Schrapps, Nick WR 6-3 202 RFr. Beaumont, TX (Kelly HS)
80 Smith, Darnell WR 6-1 208 Sr. Garland, TX (Ellsworth CC)
16 Teegarden, Derrick WR 6-0 187 Jr. Odessa, TX (Odessa HS)
15 Terrell, Darius WR 6-3 220 Jr. DeSoto, TX (Texas)

Edited by greenminer

My sleeper at linebacker is Jamal Marshall. Very similar player to Will Wright but I think Marshall has him by a step in speed.

I could see Hilbert Jackson moving to safety if Jones is as good as advertised at cornerback.

Also, I think that Alex Lincoln needs to start this year. From what I saw last year, we may not have a better overall defensive lineman than him. He uses his hands and gets off blocks really well, even playing as an undersized defensive tackle.

Finally, I really hope Jimmerson is the starter but I feel like Mac is too old school to put Byrd behind either Jimmerson or Pegram on the depth chart. It's all about results though, and we score when Jimmerson is in the game.

And what about TE? We'll have Daniel Prior back. He's not much known as a receiver, but he can lay out those OLBs. Highly regarded Chris Loving is coming in. Marcus Smith does bring receiving ability to the table. And steady Drew Miller will be back for his senior year, and ought to be viewed as the incumbent.

Just a clarification but Loving won't be here until the Fall.

Delgado is gone

Can Terrell be a transfer that DOESN'T bust? Tired of AQ guys coming here and not panning out, for whatever reason.

One intriguing name that I'd like to add to that list is Brady Brown. Brady is a 6-4, 195 receiver from Argyle and was a 3* athlete who signed with Vanderbilit. He may have spent too long rehabing (and away from actual playing time) but if he can regain anything close to his original skills he could be our best.

• Upvote 2

My sleeper at linebacker is Jamal Marshall. Very similar player to Will Wright but I think Marshall has him by a step in speed.

I could see Hilbert Jackson moving to safety if Jones is as good as advertised at cornerback.

Also, I think that Alex Lincoln needs to start this year. From what I saw last year, we may not have a better overall defensive lineman than him. He uses his hands and gets off blocks really well, even playing as an undersized defensive tackle.

Finally, I really hope Jimmerson is the starter but I feel like Mac is too old school to put Byrd behind either Jimmerson or Pegram on the depth chart. It's all about results though, and we score when Jimmerson is in the game.

There are two parts to this. You have covered the first (getting to the point of attack in a timely manner), but the second, is what happens after that? Poor tackling has been part of our problems on defense, especially "open field" tackling....or the modern term "tackling in space".

One intriguing name that I'd like to add to that list is Brady Brown. Brady is a 6-4, 195 receiver from Argyle and was a 3* athlete who signed with Vanderbilit. He may have spent too long rehabing (and away from actual playing time) but if he can regain anything close to his original skills he could be our best.

Gray, can you explain how the AD chooses players to list on the online-roster?

Are the players that are not listed (like Brady) walk-ons/non-schollies?

I like how close you are to the team. Marshall is trying to break into a position where it appears only 1 spot is open and he's going up against Polk and Wright as the frontrunners. I love the competition at that spot, and if you like Marshall that much, I'm excited about that competition as it looks like it just got tougher.

Plus, I thought your sleeper pick was Trussell? :whip:

• Upvote 1

Delgado is gone

Schrapps and Lancaster were 2 players from the last receruiting class who had to RS due to injury. Throw in Kidsy and I think we have some youngsters who can contribute.

Marshall with supposed great speed could really be a surprise at LB.

I think we will see more 3 running back rotation, not necessarily a good thing. Byrd is a reliable tough back . I think Pegram fits the same mold. Jimmerson is the one that may be something special.

At wrs, there are a ton of candidates with only imo Chancellor a sure starter. Harris, Smith, and Terrell are probably the second tier. Watch out for Lancaster, the best combination of size and speed.

At De, I think it will be Bellazin's year. McCoy, Mason, Brown will most likely fill out the rotation.