US Soccer play comes out as Homosexual

• 2 weeks later...

I think we all agree, for one reason or another, that this shouldn't "need" to be newsworthy. And for those whose personal beliefs are at odds with such topics, I think it's acceptable to feel that way about it and even voice your opinion. But in an age where we still see killings, suicides, beatings, families disowning or assaulting their gay children, etc., I do think that this sort of publicity will not only help teens and young adults feel less alone, but will also show that the demographics crossing over into the world of professional sports will help people understand exactly what some on here said: it should be about their ability to perform their job, be it as a professional athlete or any other career choice. The day that this is no longer considered news will be the day when people don't feel the need to hide who they are anymore. Some of you were around in the days when biracial couples were rarely seen in parts of the country because if they were public about their relationship, they could be beaten or burned alive and the law enforcement officials would turn a blind eye to the crimes because it was a common enough belief held by their community. Once the rest of the country becomes as reasonable as you guys, and can say, "Well, I really don't agree with [insert sexuality or lifestyle here], but whatever," then no one will care enough to write stories about it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hockey's not gay, but they're cool with it if you are.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=665247&navid=nhl:topheads

Go Flyers!

I read Brian Burke's story in GQ a while back. What an awesome guy. Tough, old hockey icon sees what his son would have done with his life and decides to do it himself as a memorial to his kid. On one hand, I can only hope to be that good of a father, and on the other hand, hope that I am never faced with a situation such as his.

• Upvote 2