What UNT helmet logo would you prefer?

UNTLifer

Regardless - a logo doesn't really mean anything on its own. It's just a picture. It is the company or in this case school/team that give it its meaning. That simplistic, monochromatic, apple logo is just a chrome apple without the gee whiz products they produce. That simple, monochromatic longhorn is just an orange cow head without the Heisman's, National Championships, etc they've won.

I knew someone would bring up the "Longhorn"....many logos are simple, to the point and well done. I don't think you get my point...the longhorn does not have an extreme over stretched mechanical look...it's just a longhorn silhouette...that's it.

Would you not at least agree that there are "good" logos and "bad" logos? Would you not agree that there is "good" design and "bad" design?

I just think we could do better....again my opinion....

Edited by 3XL

well...that Southern Miss eagle head logo blows away our professionally done SOW and its not even close.

They should put that on their helmet as opposed to the awful looking Southern Miss spelled out....1983 called and they want their logo back...

Actually, the SoMiss Eagle does share a lot more similarities with the old Daffy Eagle than the SoW. More curved lines, feathers curving into an overall circular shape. It's something that is more in the realm of 1990s sports logo designs, not the early 1980s.

Edited by meangreendork

I brought up the UT logo and Apple logo because the way your argument read, "simplistic" and "monochromatic" are bad. Those logos were counter point.

Of course there is good design and bad design. But to say SOW is bad?. Even to say it is "exaggerated" is unfair considering what an attacking eagle actually looks like.

Seems to me the designer was doing two things: Capturing the essence of an attacking eagle, keeping it simple. By keeping it simple I think a third thing was achieved: timelessness.

An attacking eagle: attacking-bald-eagle-brent-paull.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Here's a clue. Now that we're with Nike, what did they choose for the 100 Year t-shirt logo? It wasn't "North Texas." It is Worm.

I think, probably, Nike might know a little more about marketing a brand than the North Texas athletic department.

Ding ding ding. Winnah!

Yes. People seem to keep missing this important point. We have less than 5,000 season ticket sales on an annual basis, does anyone honestly think Nike gives a sh*t about our anniversary shirt?

It'd be nice if Nike did, but we're not Oregon, and we're nowhere close to a national championship. Which is something else that a lot of people miss as an important point.

The SOW isn't going anywhere. It's an appropriate design, it's catching on, and UNT would be foolish to instate yet another mid-stream change to any of its primary brands. But beyond that, no matter if the helmet logo is designed at Saatchi & Saatchi or GDS&M or ripped from a clip art book, it will only be as strong as the product it represents.

• Upvote 1

People still bought hats and t-shirts from 2001-2004. The "North Texas" script was not a popular seller despite the winning.

"North Texas" is not going to suddenly sell if we start winning next year or the year after. Southern Miss won for several years and went to several consecutive bowl game, and the result was the same...crappy logo, few sales of merchandise beyond the diehard fans.

Sticking with "North Texas" is a losing proposition. It will never market well. There is nothing appealing about it - even to the vast majority of alumni and fans.

That 90% of the fans polled here want either Worm, SOW, or some sort of letters tells you what will market. It isn't difficult. Why our athletic department fights reality is beyond comprehension.

Speaking of marketing: UNT rents out a place on the square for art and refuses to put merchandise in there for people to buy that are coming to shop downtown losing out the opportunity to make money only to have an individual dedicate HALF his store to UNT merchandise just a few buildings down. And to top it off, when UNT says they just can't get things done, the owner down there says "Let me see what I can do to make that shirt a reality."

• Upvote 1

Speaking of marketing: UNT rents out a place on the square for art and refuses to put merchandise in there for people to buy that are coming to shop downtown losing out the opportunity to make money only to have an individual dedicate HALF his store to UNT merchandise just a few buildings down. And to top it off, when UNT says they just can't get things done, the owner down there says "Let me see what I can do to make that shirt a reality."

No surprise to me. But again, merchandising isnt a concern. If it were the SOW would be the featured logo on the uniform of the highest profile sport on campus.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Y'all's negativity makes me not want to be a NT fan. Seriously. Good lord. The amount of anger towards our university on here is just mindboggling. Some of y'all think we're UT. My response? Think you can do it better? Get your ass in the AD office. Our merch is improving tremendously now that Nike is on board, I see plenty of good looking NT gear and now we have an off campus apparel store. What exactly do you expect? If we had a half decent football or basketball team to put on the field, thus helping stuff sell better we'd have plenty of better apparel. I have some sweet shirts that are unique to us and aren't generic from Nike. They're doing a fine job. And don't give me crap about 2001-2004. The SBC might as well have been FCS still and we played in Fouts. If we pull 18K after a decade, no, 100 years of terrible football and have plenty of cool Nike gear and good apparel sales now, we'll explode if, god forbid, we go 7-5 one freaking year. You guys are literally a beat down and it wouldn't surprise me if the anger and apathy on here cost us recruits. Whether you believe it or not, they read this stuff and this board already has a bad rap among fans. I don't care what you give yearly or how much you pay or what goodwill you spread or how much you talk up UNT, y'all's attitude is something of a vitriolic hatred and it is purely maddening. I've been on many boards and there's a difference between being so passionate you're harsh on your team/school and just being a-holes. Y'all are just being a-holes.

BTW, the SOW is fantastic, it's catching on and everybody loves it. It is timeless and needs to be our logo permanently. Needs to be on our helmets as well. Not a generic interlocking NT.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1