Do you agree with UNT Banning Alcohol at Greek Events?

Harry

Take away the booze and you'll probably increase the drug use. Kids like to get together and let loose...

So they will stop doing something that is against the rules in favor of doing something that is against the rules and against the law? If that is the case, I have some serious doubts about the University's ability to educate these kids.

• Upvote 3

This seems like a really stupid idea. It punishes the majority for the actions of the minority and that always backfires. It encourages cheating by the greeks and encourages students to form orgaizatins not under the overall university umbrella. Both of those are will hurt the university in the mid and long term.

Why not manditory alcohol education and severe punishments for violations of alcohol laws like under age drinking?

Prohobition doesn't work. It never has. Back in the 70s they proved dry counties had more drunk driving accidents than wet counties.

• Upvote 1

So they will stop doing something that is against the rules in favor of doing something that is against the rules and against the law? If that is the case, I have some serious doubts about the University's ability to educate these kids.

Well they were under-age drinking as it was, if we want to get technical about the law.

Well they were under-age drinking as it was, if we want to get technical about the law.

I know UNT kinda has a 'progressive' vibe, but I cannot believe that kids (underage or not) would say/think, "Hey, the University says I can't drink alcohol at my fraternity/sorority party, so I'm just going to do some lines instead".

Does that make sense? Are fraternity/sorority kids actually like that??

• Upvote 1

I know UNT kinda has a 'progressive' vibe, but I cannot believe that kids (underage or not) would say/think, "Hey, the University says I can't drink alcohol at my fraternity/sorority party, so I'm just going to do some lines instead".

Does that make sense? Are fraternity/sorority kids actually like that??

I think you'd be shocked the # of educated students that experiment with drugs harder than marijuana. Not saying the frats are less educated, but they are definitely more likely to party and have a good time than the educated accounting students that I had classes with, some of who used drugs.

I was assuming best intentions, but that kind of gets back to the heart of the matter. Besides, they said that this was temporary until they figure out how to prevent this in the future.

I think you'd be shocked the # of educated students that experiment with drugs harder than marijuana. Not saying the frats are less educated, but they are definitely more likely to party and have a good time than the educated accounting students that I had classes with, some of who used drugs.

Then what does the University saying no alcohol do to enhance this use? If they are already doing things that are outside the rules/law, then wouldn't they just continue to drink without regard for the rules?

• Upvote 1

Everyone was in favor of banning smoking, which is legal for most college students. Now upset about banning alcohol, which is illegal for most college students.

You can sit beside me and have a drink with no problems, but I don't want to breath your secondhand smoke.

I think it is a stretch to say banning alcohol will lead to hard drug use.

• Upvote 1

When I drink, I may or may not be more interesting, but also, when I drink, everyone else is more interesting. If the ban is enforced, maybe everyone will realize how boring their friends are and decide to read what the truly interesting people have to say instead ;)

Do you realize what happened to cause the ban? If they didn't do something and it happened again; think lawsuit. Fraternities are terrific aids to universities but they have rules that must be followed. Violations have their consequences.

This is likely a temporary ban unless someone is caught ignoring the ban.

Edited by GrayEagle