Sid Moore

mean green d

Watching some of the highlights on this player makes me think he could be special. He is very quick off the ball and hits the ball carrier - qb with a ferocity I haven't seen in some time. I think the coaching staff may have gotten a steal with him. Anyone want to echo my sentiments?

GMG!

• Upvote 2

Yes, extremely quick off the ball. Amazingly quick off the ball actually. Also uses his hands very well and can play in space.

He's right up there with Darvin Kidsy, Chad Davis, and Wylie Reinhardt for top prep recruits in this class IMO.

I wonder how much more natural weight he can put on that body, since he has a shorter frame, without losing that quickness.

Yes.

But he's the kind of kid you have to take a flyer on if you're Mac. This (should be) is a make or break year for Mac and a kid like this has quality mid-major talent. Gotta load your guns with all the bullets you can.

I think Mac has a fourth year regardless of what the record is this season. I think now with the debacle that the basketball program has become, that we might even see him given a 5th year. In fact, the only way I see him not getting a 4th season would be if RV were to leave.

• Upvote 3

I think Mac has a fourth year regardless of what the record is this season. I think now with the debacle that the basketball program has become, that we might even see him given a 5th year. In fact, the only way I see him not getting a 4th season would be if RV were to leave.

Spot on.

I think you are pretty correct. I would not say no matter what the record, but that at 2 wins he is safe. and with 4 in 2014 might indeed still get 2015. Particularly because everyone (including RV I think) can see that we will probably have to spend money on a benford buyout in march 2014. But if we were to go USM-like 0-12 (extremely unlikely) RV might just think that Football is more important than Basketball.

Edited by outoftown

Mac seems to have everything rocking except the wins (which is the most important part, though). Grades, attendence, kids buying into the system ... all of that is going well. The only way Mac doesn't get more than five years is if we're still slugging along at 3-5 wins a season or if he starts having issues with the other areas that are going so well right now.

If Mac can keep the off-the-field stuff going well, win about 7 games a year, and make a bowl every other year or so ... then that will be enough to keep him as head coach for quite a while. If he can throw in a 9 win season every once in a while he'll be the greatest coach we've ever had.

I'm not saying this will necessarily keep all the fans happy but I think it will keep Rick, Dr. Rawlins, and the Board satisified.

• Upvote 5

If Coach Mac goes 2-10 here or worse this season, he will be gone. Otherwise, he will be here for a 4th season. However, to get to a 5th season, he will either have been extended or fired during his 4th season, just like Dodge. You cannot let a coach go out and recruit with one year left on his contract--he wouldn't get any kids worth a damn to commit. Other schools' coaches would play that card all day if he went into the final year of his contract. No one ever does that to their coach. We will know sometime in 2014 if Coach Mac will be here for a while or if we are going to be looking for another coach in 2015.

Edited by untjim1995

If Coach Mac goes 2-10 here or worse this season, he will be gone. Otherwise, he will be here for a 4th season. However, to get to a 5th season, he will either have been extended or fired during his 4th season, just like Dodge. You cannot let a coach go out and recruit with one year left on his contract--he wouldn't get any kids worth a damn to commit. Other schools' coaches would play that card all day if he went into the final year of his contract. No one ever does that to their coach. We will know sometime in 2014 if Coach Mac will be here for a while or if we are going to be looking for another coach in 2015.

Apparently Rivals doesn't care if coach Mac has 1 year or 3 years left on his contract.

• Upvote 2

Chevy Bennett.

Not excited until he qualifies. There is a reason he double signed.

Oh, and Mac hasn't turned recruiting around, plain and simple.

I agree that he hasn't. Do you think if we have a breakout year our recruiting will pickup? Or do you think Mac just maybe might not be a good recruiter?

We haven't exactly been winning recruiting battles, but the teams we've been losing out to have been winning more than we have recently, save for Tulane.

Apparently Rivals doesn't care if coach Mac has 1 year or 3 years left on his contract.

If Rivals think this class was underwhelming, wait and see what we would pull if McCarney went out on the recruiting trail with just one year left on his contract. I wouldn't want to see the ratings on those kids that say, "Yeah, Coach, I know that you may be gone after this year, since your contract expires at the end of the season, but I want to come play for you--that sounds like a very stable idea. I'm sure that you will be my coach for as long as you are telling me." Lamar and Abilien Christian would laugh at how much better their recruiting classes would be than ours in that scenario.

Sadly, now that I've typed that hypothetical out, it will probably go down that way...

I agree that he hasn't. Do you think if we have a breakout year our recruiting will pickup? Or do you think Mac just maybe might not be a good recruiter?

We haven't exactly been winning recruiting battles, but the teams we've been losing out to have been winning more than we have recently, save for Tulane.

Wins that matter will help recruiting. Go 8-4 this year with victories over Tulsa and La. Tech and just watch the bounce in recruiting.

It's all about winning.

• Upvote 3