Western Kentucky (2/7/13)

CMJ

At this point the chemistry is coming together and players are working within the new "system".

What game plan wise was wrong tonight?

I'm so glad everything is coming together outside game time. When we have completely failed in clutch all year, as the losses get worse, I will rest easier at night knowing that somewhere else, somehow we are looking better.

I had this all wrong. Screw the games, I want to watch the chemistry in practice.

• Upvote 1

Trust me, I wish I were wrong and hope I am wrong about next year, but you take this team minus an NBA draft pick, add in the fact that the level of competition increases greatly in CUSA, and the probability that Bengord returns and the only reasonable conclusion is a disaster of epic proportions.

To those that say UNT can't afford the buyout, I would offer that they cannot afford NOT to buy out this disaster. Leaving him in place tells your fan base that this is the same old UNT that cares more about a year by year bottom line than building successful athletic programs. If that's the case, I really don't see the need to renew season tickets or increase MGC donations. For anybody.

We have heard a lot of lip service about an increased commitment to athletics. Well, immediately after this basketball season we will see if these are just words.

Nah. The apologists will just say that you should write BIGGER checks. Ignore the fact that there is no track record to justify increased investment, just write bigger checks. Or, put another way, "bitch less...give more." I call it the Bernie Madoff school of thought.

Tonights observations

First, the most meaningful game

The girls were beat bad by a very good WKU team

WKU pretty much stopped Hyder's offensive game, and the guards were not hitting

WKU seem to hit all their shots in the second half

Other than hitting free throws, it was not NT's night

Again WKU played very well, they looked better than MTSU to me

The better game

NT and Mitchell started out very good

Mitchell hit his first 3 and than decided he should camp out outside and missed his next five

I have no idea why Mitchell can't get more inside shots, he was not even doubled that much in this game

I bet the opposing coaches love Mitchell wandering around the circle

Another good game by Alzee

Although he had a terrible stat line, I think Coleman had his best game

Colemen is big and can run, he just is too uncoordinated, hopefully he can mature out of it

NT is playing better but can't close out a game

Attendance for both games pitiful

Why has NT stopped putting the opponent's players height in the program, they include NT's which most know

Stat broad didn't work in ether game

I know it helps attendance and serves a purpose and I will be damned for saying it, but I am tired of dribbling exhibitions for half time enjoyment

Loved the rope jumping a couple of weeks ago, but that halftime probably had all the rope jumpers in the county.

Loved the rope jumping a couple of weeks ago, but that halftime probably had all the rope jumpers in the county.

Actually that jump rope group from Frisco were great, much better than most of the games. Alas, the rest I've seen have not been close to them.

I applaud the effort of all these groups including the coaches, members and parents. They also provide an attendance boost for a program that needs it. Granted it makes little difference, what they present at half time: I just rather watch a pee wee bb game than most of the groups and their accompanying loud music.

• Upvote 1

"I can admit I do not have extensive knowledge"

Could have saved the entire rest of your existence on this board. Just typed the above, dropped the mic, and walked offstage.

I hope you are never a detective. I would hate to think that people's statements might be edited and taken out of context.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The attendance was about 3500 in the box score, looked more like 2000-2500 to me. There seems to be fewer an fewer students at games, maybe 500 at WKU. When i was in school (60s) we filled the pit, even with bad teams. One year we won 3 games. The games started at 8:00 then, my friends and i would get there before 7 for a good seat in the lower level. It would fill by 7:15-7:30. They don't come now and they didn't come when Johnny was here. We put 2500 in 10,000 seat arena and there is no excitement. We never filled Fouts, can't fill Apogee. That hurts recruiting in football and BB. We get what we deserve.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and the UNT basketball commercials advertised this as "the most talented team in UNT history", just in case the apologist want to continue to blame 18-20 year old kids for this disaster.

I cringe when I see that commercial. At this point I belive that line is a negative for our program. Especially when you have a program like TCU just down the street beating Kansas.

8-17 overall and 3-11 in the Sun belt, with the "Most talented team in UNT history"?

Benford needs to go.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The you refer to is "the snake pit" correct?

Correct. The opposing coaches and players named it the pit. Our administration took the name and modified it to the super pit. The magic just couldn't be transferred. We drew good crowds for the first few years, but they fell off pretty quickly after some bad years. The all-time top for attendance was set in Blakeley's first year, about 5500. The old pit seated 4500. We haven't averaged 4000 until last year. I say our building is not the pit and it is not super.

The attendance was about 3500 in the box score, looked more like 2000-2500 to me. There seems to be fewer an fewer students at games, maybe 500 at WKU. When i was in school (60s) we filled the pit, even with bad teams. One year we won 3 games. The games started at 8:00 then, my friends and i would get there before 7 for a good seat in the lower level. It would fill by 7:15-7:30. They don't come now and they didn't come when Johnny was here. We put 2500 in 10,000 seat arena and there is no excitement. We never filled Fouts, can't fill Apogee. That hurts recruiting in football and BB. We get what we deserve.

If you want to be honest maybe 1200 actual butts in seats. I expect there were a lot more season tickets sold, so paid attendance should be significantly higher.

I am not sure who the "we" is in that the "we get what we deserve" line.

• Upvote 1