Reasons for optimism heading into 2013

Harry

We've been on an 8-year slide in terms of record but the last two years under Mac have at a bare minimum "stabilized" what was a death spiral situation under Dodge.

No - Mac didn't come in and turn a terrible program to greatness over night. He did increase the wins from 3 to 5. In his second year he took a step back to four but few would argue that might have been the strongest Sun Belt conference lineup we have faced since its inception. Getting beyond 5 wins in 2012 would have been great, and probably would make it easier to sell but that wasn't meant to be.

And no we are not the darlings of the recruiting services right now and we lost some battles against schools with winning records and more established conferences.

But with all that said, there are very justifiable reasons for why this team could see a big bump in 2013:

- Highest rated QB prospect we have ever? had..

- 85 full scholarship players for the first time in...modern era?

- Good running backs and a solid defense against the run

- excellent offensive lines that should be even better

- addressing the key need areas with transfers and juco players who should help us right away.

- a lot of redshirts who will get their chance on the field.

- Frank Wintrich's weight and conditioning program should start to pay some real dividends

- the entire defense is back with some key additions in the secondary and at defensive end.

- Our first home opener against a winnable opponent in decades?

- A developing walk-on program that should start to pay dividends

- Coaching -- we have experienced coaches (the most experienced ever?) who should be able to assist in more player development and production on the field.

- Higher team GPA means less defections and grade losses of key players.

- The odds of numbers...we are due some luck. There were three games last season I believe could have easily been wins. I think quarterback play and secondary mistakes were a key part of these losses. These are both areas that were addressed.

- Mac needs to win in 2013...I'm not saying he has to win 12 games but he needs at a bare minimum 5 probably 6 wins to show progress. I think this pressure could be a good thing for everyone involved. Even if you remain skeptical, at a bare minimum it does provide a backdrop that makes this season even more compelling than in the first couple of years.

At the end of the day you can choose to be skeptical about the future success of the program and given out track record as of late you would be certainly justifiable in doing so. You don't erase your entire past in one year, but having a great opening season in C-USA would be huge for the morale or our fanbase. I think it is very reasonable to think this program has a good chance to take a big step forward given the factors I see in play.

I am totally with Harry on this. Might add that, given recruiting starts at junior class in high school, this is first recruiting class that Mac had complete responsibility for. Now I am really curious about the August 31 throwback uniforms. A bit of Joe Greene and a bit of Hayden Fry???

• Upvote 1

I agree with most of points and think that there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about next year. I also think that there needs to be substantial progress demonstrated next year if McCarney is going to be able to turn the program around.

There is a good blend of returning players and hopefully newcomers that can raise the talent level. The mere fact that the numbers are finally there should be a big positive.

• Upvote 1

I agree with most of points and think that there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about next year. I also think that there needs to be substantial progress demonstrated next year if McCarney is going to be able to turn the program around.

There is a good blend of returning players and hopefully newcomers that can raise the talent level. The mere fact that the numbers are finally there should be a big positive.

I think there are two scenarios Mac is looking at in terms of his North Texas coaching tombstone 1). He was able to come in and stabilize a program that had fallen into the depths of despair but another coach was needed to move it to the next level or 2). He was able to build the North Texas program to a higher level than it had ever reached before...

We've been on an 8-year slide in terms of record but the last two years under Mac have at a bare minimum "stabilized" what was a death spiral situation under Dodge.

No - Mac didn't come in and turn a terrible program to greatness over night. He did increase the wins from 3 to 5. In his second year he took a step back to four but few would argue that might have been the strongest Sun Belt conference lineup we have faced since its inception. Getting beyond 5 wins in 2012 would have been great, and probably would make it easier to sell but that wasn't meant to be.

And no we are not the darlings of the recruiting services right now and we lost some battles against schools with winning records and more established conferences.

But with all that said, there are very justifiable reasons for why this team could see a big bump in 2013:

- Highest rated QB prospect we have ever? had..

- 85 full scholarship players for the first time in...modern era?

- Good running backs and a solid defense against the run

- excellent offensive lines that should be even better

- addressing the key need areas with transfers and juco players who should help us right away.

- a lot of redshirts who will get their chance on the field.

- Frank Wintrich's weight and conditioning program should start to pay some real dividends

- the entire defense is back with some key additions in the secondary and at defensive end.

- Our first home opener against a winnable opponent in decades?

- A developing walk-on program that should start to pay dividends

- Coaching -- we have experienced coaches (the most experienced ever?) who should be able to assist in more player development and production on the field.

- Higher team GPA means less defections and grade losses of key players.

- The odds of numbers...we are due some luck. There were three games last season I believe could have easily been wins. I think quarterback play and secondary mistakes were a key part of these losses. These are both areas that were addressed.

- Mac needs to win in 2013...I'm not saying he has to win 12 games but he needs at a bare minimum 5 probably 6 wins to show progress. I think this pressure could be a good thing for everyone involved. Even if you remain skeptical, at a bare minimum it does provide a backdrop that makes this season even more compelling than in the first couple of years.

At the end of the day you can choose to be skeptical about the future success of the program and given out track record as of late you would be certainly justifiable in doing so. You don't erase your entire past in one year, but having a great opening season in C-USA would be huge for the morale or our fanbase. I think it is very reasonable to think this program has a good chance to take a big step forward given the factors I see in play.

I think there are 5-6 wins on this schedule if our QB play is improved to just average play. If its stay below average, then I think that 3-4 wins is the most likely result for 2013. If the QB play is above average, I think you have potential for 7+ wins on the schedule, not including a bowl. Tulane, La Tech, Idaho, UTEP, UTSA, USM, and MUTS are very winnnable games. I think Ball State and Rice are beatable, as well. I think games at Ohio and Tulsa will be tall orders, for sure, but the only 100% loss on the schedule is at Georgia (Where we fund all of the non-revenue sports from the proceeds). You gotta win your home games, which I can see us doing with at least 4-5 wins, so getting 1-2 wins on the road gets you your improvement.

• Upvote 1

Very good post. The observation that we are due some luck brings some hope for we are certainly due some luck. If fate is ,indeed, the hunter, it is about time he finds our elusive ass.

• Upvote 1

I'm with 100% of our fans and alums who wish McCarney and staff well in turning this program around. I personally commend the many who continue to hang around during these tough times; when it is easier to sit on the sidelines and/or adopt another team in the region or country.

I would like for Mr. McCarney, however, to move on from the constant whining about what he inherited and how bad of shape the program was in. Actually, all of our coaching can play that game. Todd Dodge took over a declining program when Dickey left at a time the other start up Sun Belt schools were getting better. Of course Fouts Field was still a terrible place to recruit to with an improving Sun Belt. (Still perceived as the worst D1 conference in America) In the region, SMU, TCU and Baylor were getting better and advancing their program.

What McCarney did inherit was an AD and Administration more committed to football than at any other time in history. With the pledge and support of a growing student body, the check book was opened to pay much higher salaries. A brand new state of the art mid-major stadium (that others previously had only dreamed of) was added. The growing population of Denton County further added to the excitement or potential with the move up to CUSA. ( a perceived better and fan friendly regional conference)

With all the momentum and infrastructure in place (inherited by McCarney), this poster's expectations are higher than 5-6 wins. Granted, we had hit rock bottom on the field. Mac, without question, is a great motivational speaker. He excites many, not heard around here since the late Jim Wacker (TCU). Great stuff to hear. This poster would just like more wins against like opponents and more competitive games, (with the occasional upset) against much higher BCS schools.

As that great philosopher Al Davis would say "Just Win Baby"

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 3

One thing that will help with "luck" is the schedule. Having that winnable game AT HOME to start the season is huge. The crowd will be big, and the crowd should see the team start with a W. Momentum is a great thing and starting with a W gives the team confidence too.

Going to Ohio the next week at 1-0 will give the team a shift in mindset that that they haven't had early in the season in a long time.

Ohio is good....but I expect a 1-0 team with upgraded talent over last year to go up there and be competitive.

Now, get out of there with a W and we're talking the makings of a special season.....

(but one step at a time I guess)

I am really looking forward to the season

I think there is difference between whining (Dickey),and calling a spade a spade (mcCarney).

What Dickey did was more than whining, he denigrated his employer and by extension his own program. I still can't believe he lasted as long as he did. McCarney is far smarter than that (most everyone is) and promotes the program at seemingly every opportunity.

McCarney does not necessary call a spade a spade either. He like most, tell the story to put himself in the best light.

No one cares about McCarney's history at this point. How many bowl games and great recruiting classes he and his staff have had at other places doesn't mean a tinker's damn if he can't get it done here. Likewise you can't complain about the talent you inherited until you demonstrate that you can do better.

No one cares about McCarney's history at this point. How many bowl games and great recruiting classes he and his staff have had at other places doesn't mean a tinker's damn if he can't get it done here. Likewise you can't complain about the talent you inherited until you demonstrate that you can do better.

BUT HE WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AT FLORIDA

• Upvote 1