did i hear correctly?

drex

Sadly I'd consider it a huge win if we even got an ill-designed t-shirt to commemorate the flying worm. I'd love a high quality, vintage looking shirt. Instead I envision some cheap, baggy, 2nd rate Gildian t-shirt that will also have our current branding mixed in. Prove me wrong AD/marketing.

Something akin to the Tony Mitchell T-Shirt, eh??

• Upvote 1

Talk to the folks down at the new store named BAREFOOT in downtown Denton...right off the square...great store, tons of Mean green stuff for men, women and kids. They might like producing just what you want.

Just needs to be a market for them...how many do you you really think folks would buy? Needs to be probably in the hundreds to make it worthwhile for anyone to create them in all the different sizes necessary. Think it would "fly" at that level?

Considering that the team store is packed at every home game, you may want to give the fans another option besides a year old Derek Thompson jersey and a 2 year old Lance Dunbar jersey.

But, since apparently the AD and bookstore can't seem to communicate, and the bookstore does all the purchasing for the store, I doubt that the throwback option will be there for fans on opening day.

I mean, it took them 2 years to offer a Mitchell jersey from the time he stepped on campus, and then only did so after A LOT of bitching from certain fans. Track record speaks volumes, so my expectations are that nothing will be offered to fans.

I won't even go into the quality issues of what is offered.

• Upvote 2

Considering that the team store is packed at every home game, you may want to give the fans another option besides a year old Derek Thompson jersey and a 2 year old Lance Dunbar jersey.

But, since apparently the AD and bookstore can't seem to communicate, and the bookstore does all the purchasing for the store, I doubt that the throwback option will be there for fans on opening day.

I mean, it took them 2 years to offer a Mitchell jersey from the time he stepped on campus, and then only did so after A LOT of bitching from certain fans. Track record speaks volumes, so my expectations are that nothing will be offered to fans.

I won't even go into the quality issues of what is offered.

Things might have changed recently, but a good bit of the problem has been that the bookstore is owned and run by people outside of the state of Texas. I don't know where(or if), they get their local input for products, but last fall the young man working the store at the stadium gave me the standard walmart-like employee answer "we just stock what they send us".

I think Voertmans is still locally owned and therefore might be a bit more responsive to this issue.....he said hopefully.

• Upvote 1

So basically, this is not a real throwback uniform, just a combination of several past uniforms. This is so typical of us.

Maybe we should add some leather helmets to commemorate Theron Fouts

Totally agree. Either do the Joe Greene era uni's or the Hayden Fry era uni's. But a combo? That has the potential to be real goofy looking.

• Upvote 2

I would settle for wins like we had the Joe Green and Fry era..... to heck with the old uniforms.

UT, A&M, and TxTech don't change helmet looks every few years. ... and neither do most other schools with sucessful programs. I wish we would go with some type of interlocking NT and stay with it.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

Things might have changed recently, but a good bit of the problem has been that the bookstore is owned and run by people outside of the state of Texas. I don't know where(or if), they get their local input for products, but last fall the young man working the store at the stadium gave me the standard walmart-like employee answer "we just stock what they send us".

I think Voertmans is still locally owned and therefore might be a bit more responsive to this issue.....he said hopefully.

Yes, our bookstore is basically a national chain that runs a bunch of University bookstores. I was supposed to be on the bookstore committee, which never came to fruition even though it is a part of their contract to have an advisory committee of faculty, staff, and students. Unless the contract has changed, there is still a committee even though I haven't heard of the SGA, Staff Council, or Faculty Senate appointing members. The fact is that it is, or at least was, a contractual obligation and the manager of the bookstore said something along the lines of "we'd be willing to do it" a little over a decade ago. Um, obviously, we should hope you would be willing to fulfill the terms of your contract.

So, for any interested parties still on campus, you can check with either the VP of Fiscal Affairs or VP of Legal Affairs offices (and file an open records request if necessary) to be sure, but yes, as of the last time I checked, there is absolutely an outlet that can be used to "advise" the bookstore on the needs and preferences of the University community. And of course as with any other committee, those recommendations would also be forwarded to appropriate VPs (Fiscal, Legal, Student, and Academic Affairs), Assistant VP (Business Affairs, possibly others) and likely the President/Chancellor/Regents.

As alumni, I doubt we could do much with it other than talk to the faculty, staff, and students who should be appointing members to this eternally-defunct committee, but as there seem to always be textbook concerns from faculty and students as well as apparel and other issues raised by pretty much everyone, it seems odd that no one else has ever pushed to make the legally authorized committee active since I made the attempt back in 2000.

• Upvote 2