Positive Outlook

MeanGreenEJ

Optimism is a mans best friend, so here we go. Lets talk about next years offensive line which I think will be one of the best in CUSA and the best UNT has ever had.

LT A. Johnson 6-6 315

LG C. Lemon 6-3 320

C M. Y'Barbo 6-2 310

RG L. Anyiam 6-4 300

RT J. Manu 6-5 290

TE C. Loving 6-4 265

That's some serious beef and athletes at all positions. With a solid offensive line and a stable of good RB's I think we will control the line of scrimmage and time of possession. Now all we need is to develop some speed on the outside in addition to Chancellor. This offense has potential to be very, very good next year.

What are your thoughts on the O-Line this year??

• Upvote 4

I agree with this. Its why I think we will be better this upcoming season IF Berglund can play at a level that we believe he can. Berglund, JImmerson, and this OL make me think we will see a better record in 2013. Does it mean we will make it to a bowl? I'd like to think we will get to 6-6, but I am not sure if that gets us an invite, since I don't know the CUSA bowl tie-ins.

Thrilled to have Loving in the fold. And yes we have an outstanding line ESPECIALLY if Manu is as advertised. My only other thought is I hope that Boone Feldt can contribute this year because he would allow Y'Barbo to move back to guard and just help our depth tremendously. Another hope is that big Marcus Smith can be the player he had the potential to be prior to his injury..

I agree with this. Its why I think we will be better this upcoming season IF Berglund can play at a level that we believe he can. Berglund, JImmerson, and this OL make me think we will see a better record in 2013. Does it mean we will make it to a bowl? I'd like to think we will get to 6-6, but I am not sure if that gets us an invite, since I don't know the CUSA bowl tie-ins.

Berglund is the #1 component of this class and the program in general, just through his mobility, arm/accuracy and the fact that he could prevent first down from being Gettysburg with 12 in the box and turn it into a big play down.

I've heard about the possibility of moving Y'Barbo to center. . . . But if either Kaydon Kirby or Boone Feldt are ready, I'd rather keep him at guard.

My sources indicate Kirby is the real deal and could help us right away.

Terrell, and health Chancellor, and Kidsy should help the receiving core quite a bit. Add that to Pegram and Jimmerson and our skill positions should improve significantly.

Anyone know how well Pegram catches out of the backfield?

As far as the line goes, as long as we can get it to a situation where it is hat on hat blocking and they can't overload the line due to no respect to the passing game, we should be able to maul opposing DL's and get to the second level frequently.

I think Manu is gonna be a beast as well. I have heard great things about his size and quickness.

I havent much about Kirby yet but he does have great size.

Brock B. will be the wildcard. I like what Thompson brings to the table in terms of leadership and attitude but his QB play...thats a different story. I have never seen a D1 QB given a position like he has the last few years. Some of the throws he makes are horrific. Slow and low release, bad timing, and ducks all days. The guests I brought to the game last year were absolutely shocked that he was the starting QB.

• Upvote 2

Optimism is a mans best friend, so here we go. Lets talk about next years offensive line which I think will be one of the best in CUSA and the best UNT has ever had.

LT A. Johnson 6-6 315

LG C. Lemon 6-3 320

C M. Y'Barbo 6-2 310

RG L. Anyiam 6-4 300

RT J. Manu 6-5 290

TE C. Loving 6-4 265

That's some serious beef and athletes at all positions. With a solid offensive line and a stable of good RB's I think we will control the line of scrimmage and time of possession. Now all we need is to develop some speed on the outside in addition to Chancellor. This offense has potential to be very, very good next year.

What are your thoughts on the O-Line this year??

They're big.

I think the Offensive line... beyond just teh experience that is already up there... should be by far the deepest position UNT has... getting them a few less bodies to block will be the key though... we need to have an efficient passing game to get some extra defenders out of the box

Terrell, and health Chancellor, and Kidsy should help the receiving core quite a bit. Add that to Pegram and Jimmerson and our skill positions should improve significantly.

Anyone know how well Pegram catches out of the backfield?

As far as the line goes, as long as we can get it to a situation where it is hat on hat blocking and they can't overload the line due to no respect to the passing game, we should be able to maul opposing DL's and get to the second level frequently.

Not a strong point. He had 8 catches for 56 yards at Purdue. I'd guess he's more like Brandin Byrd.

What about Shawn McKinney? I don't think that you sign a JC with no plans to use him. He is a mountain of a man who was second team all-conference center at TVCC.

Definitely signed for a reason. He will get a shot, but he needs to be much more mobile to play center.

You never want a redshirt freshman (Feldt or Kirby), much less a former walk-on in Kirby's case, starting at center unless he truely earned the spot.

Also, yes Jimmerson will once again be our receiving threat out of the backfield.

Looks like some road graders up front expecting to see time of possession dominated by the Mean Green

This is a side note but I watched a high school game once and Aubrey kept the ball the entire 3rd quarter on offense then scored 1 minute into the 4th quarter. One of the most impressive drives I ever saw

I'd bet that McKinney starts at Center and Manu at RT and the rest of the three (LT, LG, RG) look exactly the same as last year. Add Loving to the mix at TE to go along with Drew Miller, Tanner Smith, and Daniel Prior back from injury. Anyiam should be the "6th guy" in the OL rotation if one were guessing.

The offensive line should be a real plus but the best ever at NT, highly doubtful.

McCarney gives a ton of ol ships, which is an observation not a plus or negative. Dickey with a similar offfense seldom had more than 10 on ship. The reason is that teams normally do not substitute a lot in the offensive line and injuries are infrequent.

NT has 3 returning starters: Johnson, Y' Barbo, Lemon and a part time starter Anyiam plus lettermen Ellard and Thompson. Add redshirts Trussell, Renflo and Feldt plus squad-man Feldt. That is 10 scholarship OL plus 3 hs and 2 juco commits that is 15 ol without counting Kirby who looks close to earning a ship.

We have to remember that the developing of linemen is supposed to be McCarney strong point. The OL is almost there, from a size and talent standpoint. Hopefully, we will start to see the DL work into this same status.

Yes, but don't downplay line coach Mike Simonds role in developing the offensive line. I'm not near as confident on the other side of the ball.

• Upvote 1

The offense should be better. I just don't think they'll be "very good." The running game will be better, beyond that I don't think anything is for certain. It's very likely we will see the same offense facing 9 men in the box on 1st down and running it up the gut with Byrd for 0.5 yards the majority of the time. The strategy McCarney employs requires a dominant defense to keep games close and then they try to wear you down with the run in the 4th. I don't think we have the players to do that yet on the defensive side of the ball and if the gameplan isn't tweaked a little I have a hard time believing we could win more than 5 games, 6 at the most.

I'm not saying we need our QB to throw it 30 times a game, what I am saying is if we're going to be a smashmouth team we need smashmouth players & I'm not sure there are enough of them on the defensive side of the ball. Of course, after the spring game when I am football starved I'll be proclaiming us as an 8 win team so what do I know?

Berglund is the #1 component of this class and the program in general, just through his mobility, arm/accuracy and the fact that he could prevent first down from being Gettysburg with 12 in the box and turn it into a big play down.

This.

This offense goes nowhere if there are constantly 9 in the box on running downs. Better play at QB and WR is a MUST for us to make a marked improvement on offense.

The line was good last year, but when you are blocking almost 2 on 1, you ain't gonna go nowhere.

• Upvote 1