North Texas All-Century Football Team

All About UNT

"North Texas All-Century Football Team

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the start of Mean Green football, and, beginning February 6, fans can help select the North Texas All-Century Football Team.

A 25-person selection panel made up of North Texas Athletics Hall of Fame members, football lettermen, sports-information personnel, and members of the media - including Joe Greene, Jordan Case, George Dunham, Bill Mercer, Dave Barnett, Ken Bahnsen, Bill Carrico, Toby Gowin, C. Dan Smith, Patrick Cobbs and Byron Gross - chose the more than 120 players that made the ballot. Fan voting starts February 6 and ends on March 13. The online ballot will go live on meangreensports.com on February 6, and paper ballots will be available at North Texas basketball games, the North Texas Athletic Ticket Office, or by contacting the athletic department.

The final All-Century roster will be determined by the fan vote (which will count 50 percent toward the final decision) and by a selection committee, and the team will be announced on April 13 at the Green-White Spring Football Game at Apogee Stadium.

A poster of the All-Century Team will be printed and will be given to 2013 season ticket buyers. The poster, featuring photos of all team members, will also be

available for purchase."

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=206016460

Good God what a great idea! And a rich source for LOTS of arguing/debate on this board.

Who came up with this idea? Because it couldn't have been anyone in the athletic department.

It was, Silver, it was...I got a look at the ballot early and was asked for my input.....I did not provide any input..... Other than to review the ballot and reply to thank the UNT Staffers who came up with this great idea and to let them know it was a great idea and should be lots of fun!

Edited by KRAM1

Let me get this straight. You were asked for your input and you didn't give it?

I need to go outside and re-check the color of the sky. I could have sworn it was blue earlier this morning........ B)

Ha! Funny :goodjob: Well...good to see the snarkiness remains in the curmudgeon that you are these days.....did not need to give any input...It looked great as it was developed...you will be happy (well maybe not you) with the names and it will be great for the fans to have a part in the process...that's the input i gave them...other than my congratulations. At least I was asked (which I thought was nice). Maybe they knew I would provide appropriate and honest input without all the hyperbole and angst and without trying to tell them that they never do anything and that "anyone" could have done it better. You think?

Hey..glad to know all is still right with the world....same Silver...there is comfort in that at least! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

Ha! Funny :goodjob: Well...good to see the snarkiness remains in the curmudgeon that you are these days.....did not need to give any input...It looked great as it was developed...you will be happy (well maybe not you) with the names and it will be great for the fans to have a part in the process...that's the input i gave them...other than my congratulations. At least I was asked (which I thought was nice). Maybe they knew I would provide appropriate and honest input without all the hyperbole and angst and without trying to tell them that they never do anything and that "anyone" could have done it better. You think?

Hey..glad to know all is still right with the world....same Silver...there is comfort in that at least! :thumbsu:

Well, I was only going to give you a slight (and I thought clever) needle. But since you are in the mood to attack, I'll have to add that OF COURSE THEY ASKED YOUR OPINION. MANAGEMENT THAT NEVER WANTS REAL INPUT ALWAYS ASKS THE "YES MEN" FOR THEIR OPINIONS.

Well, I was only going to give you a slight (and I thought clever) needle. But since you are in the mood to attack, I'll have to add that OF COURSE THEY ASKED YOUR OPINION. MANAGEMENT THAT NEVER WANTS REAL INPUT ALWAYS ASKS THE "YES MEN" FOR THEIR OPINIONS.

Sensitive this morning old guy???? If that's an attack you are really wearing your sensitive panties this morning...it was a "right back at you" with some fun ...which I thought, but was obviously wrong, what you were getting at...sure missed that one...sorry Mr. Sensitive...my bad! Just asking...is it a constipation problem this morning? A bit more fiber in the diet for old guys like you is said to help.... :bbq: GEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....touchy, touchy...go take a nap old feller!

OK Old-timers,

Who is the starting QB? Looking at the record book, it can really only be debated between 2 guys: Mitch Maher & Steve Ramsey. The record book appears to give a slight nod to Maher.

The record book also gives the starting RB job to Lance, with Cobbs backing him up. Abner playing 3rd string? I didn't see Abner play, and obviously that was a different era, but you can't argue with the numbers, or can you?

Does Fitzgerald's spectacular season give him a spot on the team? There were alot of qualified receivers through the years.

D-Line looks crowded with lots of guys who would be qualified...

I don't know much about our LB history, but I've seen some very good LB's play in my time here: The Triumvirate (Kassell, Casey, Spencer), Nwigwe, Robertson, Orr (too bad Orr is playing now, which may DQ him, because I think his Sr. season could see him write his name in the record books)...

Is the HC spot an open-and-shut case for Fry? Or are any other candidates worthy? (ahem: Dickey?)

I'd love to see some of you guys' rough drafts.

There are only a few guys I've seen (2000-pres.) which would offend me if they were left off:

Booger

Dunbar

Cobbs

Kassell

Buckles

This COULD be a very fun and educational thread.

• Upvote 1

Maher and Ramsey are both on the ballot (in fact there are 10 QB's on the ballot I have seen)

as are:

Cobbs

Kennedy

Dunbar

Kassell and

Buckles

So, you should be happy, yes? Let the voting begin...soon!

Maher and Ramsey are both on the ballot (in fact there are 10 QB's on the ballot I have seen)

as are:

Cobbs

Kennedy

Dunbar

Kassell and

Buckles

So, you should be happy, yes? Let the voting begin...soon!

Can't wait KRAM! Thanks for the inside scoop!

Who would you say? You weren't around for Ramsey were you?

How 'bout some guys that you think are MUST HAVES?

Sensitive this morning old guy???? If that's an attack you are really wearing your sensitive panties this morning...it was a "right back at you" with some fun ...which I thought, but was obviously wrong, what you were getting at...sure missed that one...sorry Mr. Sensitive...my bad! Just asking...is it a constipation problem this morning? A bit more fiber in the diet for old guys like you is said to help.... :bbq: GEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....touchy, touchy...go take a nap old feller!

If I were sensitive, I would never admit in public that I was a North Texas fan.

And "touchy touchy"is all you got?

Edited by SilverEagle

Can't wait KRAM! Thanks for the inside scoop!

Who would you say? You weren't around for Ramsey were you?

How 'bout some guys that you think are MUST HAVES?

Ha! Indeed I was around for the Ramsey years....Ramsey was QB three of my 4 undergard years at UNT!..In fact I also saw Vidal Carlin play QB for UNT! Ever heard of him? Played seven years in the NFL (Cardinals) and a year in the Canadian League after UNT!

OK Old-timers,

Who is the starting QB? Looking at the record book, it can really only be debated between 2 guys: Mitch Maher & Steve Ramsey. The record book appears to give a slight nod to Maher.

The record book also gives the starting RB job to Lance, with Cobbs backing him up. Abner playing 3rd string? I didn't see Abner play, and obviously that was a different era, but you can't argue with the numbers, or can you?

Does Fitzgerald's spectacular season give him a spot on the team? There were alot of qualified receivers through the years.

D-Line looks crowded with lots of guys who would be qualified...

I don't know much about our LB history, but I've seen some very good LB's play in my time here: The Triumvirate (Kassell, Casey, Spencer), Nwigwe, Robertson, Orr (too bad Orr is playing now, which may DQ him, because I think his Sr. season could see him write his name in the record books)...

Is the HC spot an open-and-shut case for Fry? Or are any other candidates worthy? (ahem: Dickey?)

I'd love to see some of you guys' rough drafts.

There are only a few guys I've seen (2000-pres.) which would offend me if they were left off:

Booger

Dunbar

Cobbs

Kassell

Buckles

This COULD be a very fun and educational thread.

If you go by pure stats, then the starting QB would be Mitch Maher. The second team would be either Steve Ramsey or Scott Davis, or Scott Hall. Vidal Carlin was the first North Texas QB that I remember (I saw Billy Ryan and Corkey Boland but they didn't leave much of an impression on me), but what I remember most about him was that during his whole career he was throwing to probably the all time best WR in North Texas history.....John Love. In 65 Carlin had 1723 yards passing....994 of those were to John Love. In 66 it was 1510 yrds passing.....1130 went to John Love.

Also, how long did a QB have to start before he becomes eligible? Carlin (a JC transfer) started for two years. All the other favorites mentioned started for three years. Some of my favorites started for two years or less.

Jordan Case...two years

Joe Stevenson...one year

And what about some of the other one year starters... Joe Milton (1970) 296 X 138...1852 yrds, Rusty Hill (1982) 292 x 177....1704 yrds.

So, who would you put on your ballot?

QB: Steve Ramsey, Mitch Maher, Scott Davis, Scott Hall, Jordan Case, Joe Stevenson, Ken Washington, Vidal Carlin

RB: Patrick Cobbs, Lance Dunbar, Abner Haynes, JaQuay Wilborn, Malcolm Jones, Bernard Jackson, Kevin Galbreath, Jamario Thomas

WR: Ray Renfro, John Love, Johnny Quinn, Pete Harvey, Casey Fitzgerald, Marcus Camper, Troy Redwine

TE: Randy Gardner, Andy Blount, Silva, Jeff Muenchow

OL: Armour, Brewster, Lineberry, Zuniga, J.D ?

DL: Mean Joe, Hardeman, Chapman, Kennedy, Awasome, Daniels,

LB: Byron Gross, Brad Kassell, Lance White, Cody Spencer, Taylor Casey, Brett Renfro, Chris Hurd, Craig Robertson, Zac Orr

DB: Kim Phillips, Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones, Don McGee, Beasley Reese, J.T. Smith

Punter: Toby Gowin, John Baker, Atterberry, Kadlubar

PK: Iseed Khoury, Chapman, Bazaldua, what was the young man's name from Denton?

Coach: Mitchell or Fry

Just a start, please add as you see fit. I know I am missing a lot on the OL, but their names are escaping me at this time.

Just a start, please add as you see fit. I know I am missing a lot on the OL, but their names are escaping me at this time.

Jason Ball...and yes, he is on the ballot.

I like the idea but this will be really tough on some of the oldtimers. They were dominant in their time but their numbers won't match the modern era. Few will remember Bill Bishop, Jim Brewer, Quincy Armstrong, Bill Carrico or Felton Whitlow because they were linemen who will have no stats. There are others that played less than three years so they won't appear in the (career) record book.

I hope that the selection committee gives us a fairly broad list from which to choose. By that I mean over the entire hundred years. Early stars were a little scarce and even I didn't see Ted Wright or Johnnie Riola play.

Anyway, it'll be fun and a challenge. I'm looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

QB: Steve Ramsey, Mitch Maher, Scott Davis, Scott Hall, Jordan Case, Joe Stevenson, Ken Washington, Vidal Carlin

RB: Patrick Cobbs, Lance Dunbar, Abner Haynes, JaQuay Wilborn, Malcolm Jones, Bernard Jackson, Kevin Galbreath, Jamario Thomas

WR: Ray Renfro, John Love, Johnny Quinn, Pete Harvey, Casey Fitzgerald, Marcus Camper, Troy Redwine

TE: Randy Gardner, Andy Blount, Silva, Jeff Muenchow

OL: Armour, Brewster, Lineberry, Zuniga, J.D ?

DL: Mean Joe, Hardeman, Chapman, Kennedy, Awasome, Daniels,

LB: Byron Gross, Brad Kassell, Lance White, Cody Spencer, Taylor Casey, Brett Renfro, Chris Hurd, Craig Robertson, Zac Orr

DB: Kim Phillips, Jonas Buckles, Craig Jones, Don McGee, Beasley Reese, J.T. Smith

Punter: Toby Gowin, John Baker, Atterberry, Kadlubar

Coach: Mitchell or Fry

Kicker from Denton was Thomas Bresnahan

Kicker from Denton was Thomas Bresnahan

And, Jason Ball who is on the ballot as I posted earlier....Dozer, i don't recall Bresnahan as a kicker...when did he play? Memory must be fading...help me out here. Thanks.

Where is the list of selected players?

Will be out soon...I am hoping it will be released to the crowd at the signing day event tomorrow as a little extra added attraction, but I actually have no clue how or when the ballot will be released. I just know it will be out soon.....

• Upvote 1