American Hero Shot at Gun Range

I'm not that familiar with the program but Garland has had an uniformed police officer assigned to each school for years and I can't recall any serious problems. I believe that they sometime lecture students on personal safety as well. If Garland can do that, why not all Texas schools? All schools across the nation?

EACH SCHOOL? Or Each HIGH School?

Can you imagine the property tax increase for a school district like Dallas/FWISD/Arlington/etc... to add a police officer at EACH SCHOOL? I don't know that I would be totally against this, but boy, it would greatly increase taxes.

I'm not that familiar with the program but Garland has had an uniformed police officer assigned to each school for years and I can't recall any serious problems. I believe that they sometime lecture students on personal safety as well. If Garland can do that, why not all Texas schools? All schools across the nation?

--

---No problem with that (armed security) ... just not classroom teachers which our "wonderful" governor and many others want. In fact having an armed security person in a large high school campus might not be a bad idea. There are students there who are crazy enough [ maybe gang members also ] to bring one into school .. Small kids might but very unlikely to purposely shoot anyone much less a group. .... and what happened in Conn. is extremely rare and doesn't seem to justify the expense of putting someone in every school nationwide. Risks and cost seem to outweigh rewards. Besides anyone would probably target the security guy first... if he wanted to do what happened in Conn.

--- This is my opinion despite having one of my students with a pistol in his sock that I had caused to get suspended the day before (about 1990) ... Maybe I was the target, maybe not... Another teacher noticed it and two disarmed him before classes started. No gun was needed... Oddly about five years ago he walked up to me in Walgreen's and apologized for his behavior (did not mention gun) .... has a decent job and family...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

You are right about one thing.... it would not be one of the assault guns banned...... the point was that "guns do not belong in a classroom". Yes it was dropped.... Who cares what brand etc. .. it was dropped.... and it fired... and can bet the same would happen in some classrooms eventually. Carrying one into a school would likely kill more people than it would ever save.... When was the last time a mass shooting happened in a Texas classroom?...ever??

You keep switching back and forth on issues .. two issues here ... guns in classrroms ( not just security) and assault guns.. different issues... Nothing is absolutely fool-proof... just don't add to the danger by having teachers carrying one. ... I even saw a kid stabbed with a pencil... got him pretty good, bled a lot... it wasn't in anger but just horsing around.... can't ban pencils... needed every day... guns aren't.

Those who think the answer is police or ex-miltary in school is the answer need to read or listen to the news.... there are some nuts there as well. A couple of those stories lately .... and I know of several incidents where police have been fired or suspended for mishandling a gun (it fired).

In some cases ... it likely is good to have a gun on campus [ locked up ] especially if the school is a long way from police protection. I as a student and as a teacher often had one locked up in a pickup in the parking lot (family had cattle, legal then) ... that is a lot different that carrying one around. ....... so I am not the anti-gun nut that you seemed to think I am... nor am I the guy that is fascinated by them and think they are toys. ... You just assumed I am in Dallas area... I am not.... I am in west Texas. ... my picture above is my ranching/farming grandfather about 1899.... I own his guns... and his land. I am not exactly some city-person (but live in an area of 1/4 million) and have always had guns around me. My other grandfather and his brother drove some of their cattle to San Antonio as teenagers (parents deceased).... and sold them to the Teddy's roughriders for food. -- I understand guns but don't understand why some are so fascinated by them... they are needed ... but are not toys and are dangerous..

You know what else could happen in the classroom? The roof could fall in and kill the children. Roofless schools!

One student could stab another student with a pen or pencil. Ban pens and pencils!'

The chances of a properly maintained handgun discharging when dropped is EXTREMELY low. Combine that with the fact that a teacher will most likely never have the need to access that handgun in the classroom, and the chances of dropping the handgun alone are pretty minuscule.

But you want to decide for every single school district what their policy should be, or you want the state or federal government to do so. And you don't see a problem with that?

It comes down to personal accountability. It is becoming less and less of a priority in this country. People want to blame machinery for evil deeds that couldn't be committed with the actions of the person operating that machinery.

Many suburbs and large cities have school resource officers who are assigned to each school. And some school districts have their own police departments. The issue is that the smaller school districts do not have the same resources. My city has the elementary, intermediate, middle, and high schools all next to each other. They have a retired deputy that patrols and during the school days, we will make random walk throughs for added security. Some very rural districts don't even have those options. There are no law enforcement officers within miles. Chances are they don't have the money to pay an off duty officer to perform security.

Even where there are school resource officers, they could still use backup in the event of an emergency. Plano ISD is considering having security in their schools.

EACH SCHOOL? Or Each HIGH School?

Can you imagine the property tax increase for a school district like Dallas/FWISD/Arlington/etc... to add a police officer at EACH SCHOOL? I don't know that I would be totally against this, but boy, it would greatly increase taxes.

In Garland's case, it is somewhere in between. Uniformed SRO's are on campus in each high school and middle school, and elementary schools generally share an officer between 3-4 campuses.

http://www.channel4.com/news/oscar-pistorius-south-africa-gun-law-gun-deaths

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2013-02-17/oscar-pistorius-murder-girlfriend-case-news-update-video-bat-trial-kill-model?icid=maing-grid7%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D271665

Highest gun violence death and most restrictive gun laws.

And the guy in one of the articles actually trumpets the decrease in gun crime among legal gun owners. No crap, Sherlock. Meanwhile, criminal gun vilence runs wild.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

PBS Frontline set to air a segment giving the Newtown mass murderer exactly what he wanted: infamy.

I'm sure all the while kicking and screaming for gun control, never realizing (or not caring) that what they are doing in that segment does more to exacerbate the problem than anything any legal gun owner ever did.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

PBS Frontline set air a segment giving the Newtown mass murderer exactly what he wanted: infamy.

I'm sure all the while kicking and screaming for gun control, never realizing (or not caring) that they are doing in that segment does more to exacerbate the problem than anything any legal gun owner ever did.

Saw that tonight also. "Raising Adam Lanza". Its interesting that according to information from one of the friends/boyfriends, whatever that one guy was, who stated that she completely turned away any offer of help or assistance from the autism community in raising him.

Rick