Outside The Box: His YouTube Expansion Ideas For Apogee!

PlummMeanGreen

I know some will say......."lets fill Apogee every game for the next 20 years in a row then we can talk expansion which is just how our culture of late has us thinking in Denton.... :cigar2: .............but, I like how the YouTube guy has filled in the Apogee north endzone at 1:51 and IMHO how it should have been built from the git-go (of which some of you have basically said the same thing). Honest to goodness, our powers that be should have ignored HKS Architects "Wing" section idea by saying "great idea, fellas, but we have one that we think is a better." And yes, hindsight is 20/20 in these things, too.

Any of you know the person who posted this video? Just curious...Also wonder if there is any other software that would make it look more like the stadium we have with the expansions looking more realistic?

Whoever the UNT fan he is most definitely thinking outside the box of which I don't think you can ever have enough of that.

I think his north endzone expansion idea at 1:51 would be just fine for North Texas for quite awhile, though. I think it might add another 5K or so fans and would just plain look better cosmetically from the Interstates. too. For now, though, an expasnion is the least of our problems that need to be addressed at this time.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

The Wing Zone was more than likely a very expensive addition to the stadium and I'm 100% sure that UNT wants it as a trademark. The "expandable to 50,000" comes from a second level on the student side. Furthermore, I think unless we miraculously sell out games for 20 years (in DFW, not going to happen, one bad year equals bad attendance unless you're the Cowboys) so I think 30K is ideal. Tickets are harder to get, better atmosphere, etc. You want the illusion of demand.

Lastly, the WZ is fantastic and sets us apart. I know so many Tech and OU fans who gushed over the wing and how imposing it looks and how cool it looks lit up from the freeway. Without the wing, it's no longer the best NCAA stadium and loses all of the stadium's personality.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

Wow! Up to 90k seating. However, that third deck over the boxes might interfere with DFW flight paths.

The Wing Zone was more than likely a very expensive addition to the stadium and I'm 100% sure that UNT wants it as a trademark. The "expandable to 50,000" comes from a second level on the student side. Furthermore, I think unless we miraculously sell out games for 20 years (in DFW, not going to happen, one bad year equals bad attendance unless you're the Cowboys) so I think 30K is ideal. Tickets are harder to get, better atmosphere, etc. You want the illusion of demand.

Lastly, the WZ is fantastic and sets us apart. I know so many Tech and OU fans who gushed over the wing and how imposing it looks and how cool it looks lit up from the freeway. Without the wing, it's no longer the best NCAA stadium and loses all of the stadium's personality.

I agree that the WZ is a very unique thing for our stadium. I was very leary of it at first but have grown to like it. There's lots of creative ways to add seating. Hopefully that'll be needed before too long.

• Upvote 1

Wow! Up to 90k seating. However, that third deck over the boxes might interfere with DFW flight paths.

I agree that the WZ is a very unique thing for our stadium. I was very leary of it at first but have grown to like it. There's lots of creative ways to add seating. Hopefully that'll be needed before too long.

Same here, I thought it was terrible until I saw it finished. Seeing it in the distance over the bridge is just epic. If they got rid of the Wing Zone, I'd be highly disappointed and frankly outraged since I paid for a part of the stadium. It's imposing and sets us apart. Paint the damn bleachers or concrete green to make it look nice when it's empty though. I love playing NCAA facing the Wing, just so...defining. Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Same here, I thought it was terrible until I saw it finished. Seeing it in the distance over the bridge is just epic. If they got rid of the Wing Zone, I'd be highly disappointed and frankly outraged since I paid for a part of the stadium. It's imposing and sets us apart. Paint the damn bleachers or concrete green to make it look nice when it's empty though. I love playing NCAA facing the Wing, just so...defining.

Probably the main thing I don't like about the Wing Zone is the erector set look in the back of it which holds it up and that part which so many commuters on I35-E will judge our entire "non erector set" stadium that we really have. Again, this whole expanion thing for the moment is probably #101 on a Priority List of 100 other more important needs for UNT athletics, but the guy who spent some time putting the YouTube together did give us sometihng new to discuss.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Probably the main thing I don't like about the Wing Zone is the erector set look in the back of it which holds it up and that part which so many commuters on I35-E will judge our entire "non erector set" stadium that we really have. Again, this whole expanion thing for the moment is probably #101 on a Priority List of 100 other more important needs for UNT athletics, but the guy who spent some time putting the YouTube together did give us sometihng new to discuss.

GMG!

Yeah, but I mean, I think most people realize that it is erector set based off of the way it has to be designed. Most see that the entire stadium is concrete and even then the Wing Zone is hybrid erector/concrete based off of design & looks. Just my opinion. I don't know how you'd make the Wing Zone concrete entirely without some massive, ugly pillars. The green steel and the way it arches over the concourse looks nice, especially lit up at night. You can see it is concrete, just held up by erector steel. It's not like FAU's incredibly cheap looking stadium.

Edited by meangreener

And since we are thinking outside the box. Here is one suggestion on how to discourage people from hanging around "the hill" during games and not coming into the stadium. Park some talons (or other volunteers) up at the top of the east stands with something like this........

16977_lg.jpg

and at the end of the first quarter, rain water balloons down on all the party animals who won't come into the stadium.

According to their web-site, the water balloon launcher shown above has a 400 yard range.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

And since we are thinking outside the box. Here is one suggestion on how to discourage people from hanging around "the hill" during games and not coming into the stadium. Park some talons (or other volunteers) up at the top of the east stands with something like this........

16977_lg.jpg

and at the end of the first quarter, rain water balloons down on all the party animals who won't come into the stadium.

According to their web-site, the water balloon launcher shown above has a 400 yard range.

But might the ACLU have something to say about such shenanangannery, Bill? :got:

(Of course......I jest).:)

GMG!

• Upvote 1