Veteran USM Alum Likes New CUSA Post Excerpts

PlummMeanGreen

SgtGoldenEagle buddy_online.gif
Bench Warmer
benchwarmer.gif
avatar_63784.gif?dateline=1356463623
I Root For: Southern Miss

From CUSAbbs Board Veteran USM alum SgtGoldenEagle responds to EagleRockCafe plus excerpts from his post.

RE: If CUSA loses Tulsa, USM, and UTEP.......

(Today 12:45 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:
USM isn't going anywhere in my opinion.

SgtGoldenEagle's Response:

I agree. I see no use in making a move unless the SEC, or ACC should come calling and we all know that isn't going to happen, and jumping to the conference that comes from the ashes of the former Big East might prove to be just more cost than gain. Frankly, I like the looks of the C-USA alignment pretty much, with a renewal of a rivalry with La. Tech that has produced some outstanding games for USM, as well as the rivalry that is growing with UAB (if they would just learn to play other teams like they play USM) MTSU could turn up being a very big game each year, then add in teams like Marshall, Tulsa and the newer programs like, UTSA who I predict is going to be a fast riser, and even North Texas could be a powerful opponent since it appears they are now very serious about their program. I just don't see C-USA being that bad off. I actually think it is much stronger with the new line-up than it was when the conference first started, and I well remember those days, since I have followed USM football since Thad "Pie" Vann was the coach.

I am going to be clear though, I will miss ECU very much, Memphis, I will miss only because it has been on our schedule since 1952 each year but 80, but most games were not that interesting. I do think MTSU will give us more competition and will prove to be a good rival. Tulane is tulane, what can I say. I remember going to a Tulane game in 1959 or 1960 and to this day I still remember the pity I had for them in that game because they were so outmanned. Tulane hasn't changed much in that time and other than a couple or so good years they have been little to get excited about. La. Tech will probably be a much tougher game and also has been an opponent of USM off and on since 1923, so no stranger to USM.

I can't share the concern others have, although I see where they are coming from, but when C-USA started we had UAB, and South Florida that were new programs just starting their FBS level, and C-USA was often referred to as USM and the rest, but Louisville, ECU, and some others got better and the conference did ok.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Southern Mississippi is team that I am really excited to play. Their "anyone, anywhere" attitude is something I would like to see North Texas adopt. While NT does play "everyone, every place" Southern Miss plays and wins. They will be very good conference mates. As well as great tail gate hosts.

GO MEAN GREEN