Tulane AD Letter supporting Big East

Harry

Dear Green Wave Fans,

I want to wish all of you a Happy New Year. I hope that all of you are as excited about 2013 as I am and everything it means to Tulaneplans to join a new conference, new construction, new seasons with high expectations and new student-athletes joining the Tulane family!

I know there have been a lot of reports, as well as rumors, swirling around the BIG EAST. However, I want to assure you that Tulane is fully committed to the BIG EAST and is working very closely with the other on-going members to create a strong, vibrant conference. The universities that comprise the BIG EAST now and into the future are well-respected academic institutions with strong national name recognition and a history of success in all the major sports.

Losing Boise State was disappointing, but I am proud that the BIG EAST did not compromise its standards and accede to Boises inappropriate and unreasonable demands. Its not unrealistic to think that we may lose another member, but the conference is being aggressive in its planning and will remain a strong conference.

Meanwhile, back on campus, mens and womens basketball are riding hot streaks, with conference play starting this week. Come on out and ring the victory bell with us!

Football recruiting is wrapping up and Coach CJ and his staff are working hard. Stay tuned for more good news from them.

Finally, we are just five weeks away from baseball opening its 2013 campaign at the Texas State Tournament on Feb. 15. Its rare for us to start the season with an away game, but an extended Mardi Gras season and the Super Bowl made this a good option for us.

Thanks for all of your continued support and get ready for a terrific year.

Roll Wave,

Rick Dickson

Tulane and their (sadly) gutted by Katrina Big Uneasy population (did the B.E. even check out NO's latest and real population numbers or just go by even more urban tales & past histories of which Private U's seem to still get much mileage) along with Tulane U's spanking new 25,000 seat stadium (is it 25K or 30K--let an awaiting nation sitting on the edge of their seats know, TU) and a 25K seat stadium (unwanted by TU's neighborhood); and and then you have all 500 (SMU's got em' beat on that one by about 4,500 which is most always reported as 18K) of the Green Wave fans to try to find places in that 25K NCAA FCS sized stadium--maybe all 500 of them get the indoor comfort of luxury suites?

Yeah, right, another great choice by the Big Least who just seems to merely stick any school with a pulse and glorious past in their dream Gang of 5 conference puzzle and a league which for all practical purposes is still in failure to launch mode. The more I read and hear of some of these private university president standards and methods of operation the more unimpressed I am. Will these schools stay as loyal to the BIg East as they have CUSA will be the question of many or the first ice cube they see floating in the waters will they jump ship once again? I mean come on now, some of these schools leave an entire region for 2 other regions in 2 other time zones (western and eastern USA) to get away from Cooties-USA? Jeez, people, has Dr. Rawlins made sure our school has had its annual leprosy booster shots?

Bloom where planted, North Texas, build it like our former conference mate Boise State built theirs and lets make good history now and in the future instead of living on athletic glories and history from close to 75 years ago like some private universities (especially one particular school in DFW) seem to always have to do to advance. For the love of God, sorry, I mean't the almighty dollar, do these schools have no shame in having to continually do that while living on past glories of which one non-faith based university here in the Metroplex that had the NCAA's first bonafide Death Penalty? Has any other NCAA school ever been so rewarded and genuflected to for being nothing more than common crooks and being that just to have winning football teams?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

"....and a 25K seat stadium (unwanted by TU's neighborhood);"

Must be a New Orleans version of a "Denia neighborhood" off of St. Charles Ave. I knew UNT had something in common with Tulane.

I don't think Denia ever had the numbers and influential types you'd find in Tulane's neighborhood but what the heck does it really

matter now because we have a "Taj Mahal of a NCAA FBS college football stadium" (to quote Gil Brandt) that even has

a larger seating capacity than Duke University's football venue.

The privates (or the, uh, "royals") should have done all of us a big favor a long time ago and just form a conference that had private universities only.

If that had happened might the Southwest Conference still be in business in some form or fashion (or would that be the present Big 12)? :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't think Denia ever had the numbers and influential types you'd find in Tulane's neighborhood but what the heck does it really

matter now because we have a "Taj Mahal of a NCAA FBS college football stadium" (to quote Gil Brandt) that even has

a larger seating capacity than Duke University's football venue.

The privates (or the, uh, "royals") should have done all of us a big favor a long time ago and just form a conference that had private universities only.

If that had happened might the Southwest Conference still be in business in some form or fashion (or would that be the present Big 12)? :)

GMG!

The Taj Mahal is a mausoleum

• Upvote 1

Calling Gil Brandt! Calling Bil Brandt! You needed a better example, Gil, but I knew what you mean't.

Anyhow, Arkstfan, join Larry, Emmy and Mr. Chompers on the same tour with Hank that inspired Gil Brandt to compare our stadium to a freakin' mausoleum. :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't even know why Tulane is even bothering building a new stadium when they can even get more than a couple thousand fans in the Superdome

Maybe they are hoping having their own stadium will drum up enthusiasm. Sadly, it could be a waste of money as the Superdome is s nice place to play.