Interesting comments from Tulsa Prez

Harry

Frankly, I'm disappointed at the view of Tulsa officials toward conference realignment. The only way Tulsa'a wishes can be answered would be to be invited to a Power 5 conference. There is no Gang of Five conference with high academics and if there were the answer would not be the MWC. Except for the Air Force Academy the SAT grades of entering freshmen range from among the poorest (Fresno State) to above average (Colorado State), with most being in the average range. In addition to the non-academia there are travel expenses. Tulsa is nearly 500 miles from the closest MWC member. Would the competition be better in the MWC? Perhaps, but beyond Boise State and others who rise on occasion there really isn't enough difference to warrant the added expenditures. How about TV markets? Advantage CUSA. Availability? They would be the only one in the Central Time Zone (even if they accompanied UTEP). The only real advantage would be basketball. Is that enough to justify fiscal disaster?

Would they be better off in the nBE? Yes, but 1) they don't have an invitation and 2) according to reports, the league is considering throwing in the towel. Stability??? Thy name is not the Big East Conference.

So, what's the solution? Band the Gang of 5 together in some form. In union there is strength. Cooperatively work together to increase revenue and reduce costs. Stabilize each conference. Set criteria for each conference and enforce it so that you eliminate weak members. You must set objective standards so that any manipulation does not become political. Select replacements carefully but try to maintain a minimum of 12 members in any conference. Shed superiority complexes. Become less selfish.

Remember, until the playoff formula changes we are essentially a conference working for one playoff spot.

The Now Defunct Southwest Conference:

The future MWC I think would end up being like the old Southwest Conference and as Frank Broyles described it in an old Dallas Times-Herald article I remember reading whiile eating a club sandwhich in a west Fort Worth El Fenix (not sure why I had to add that but at age 62 I have every right to ramble, ramble, ramble, ramble,............ :(but in that Times-Herald article I remember AD Frank Broyles saying this;

"You have 2 rivalries in the SWC: UT and Arkansas versus................... everybody else."

Broyles then added how the SWC private schools only drew good crowds when the big state schools came to their campus stadiums and that they had quit drawing good crowds among each other long ago; that is, once the Cowboys came to Dallas and the Oilers to Houston. Many of us who followed college football back then saw all this happen as it all unfurled before our eyes in our state and region. Meanwhile, North Texas plodded along like a plow mule as we continued being in far flung conferences with no in-state conference rivals; that is, at an NCAA FBS level.

The MWC versus CUSA

The MWC could very well have the same scenario as the now defunct SWC did especially if BYU comes back to the MWC but then it would probably be:

You'd have 2 rivalries in the MWC: Boise and BYU versus.........everybody else.

Most every school in the Gang of 5 (except maybe the MAC schools) are almost like Homer's Odysseus with the very tempting Songs of the Sirens, ie, the female creatures from greek mythology, who attracted sailors with their chants. They had to turn a deaf ear to their female temptors (or rather put wax in their ears) to avoid potential disaster. How many schools are inviting potential disaster today because they cannot refuse the $ong of the $iren$? Still, few among our Gang of 5 can resist the temptations once another conference (perceived to be a cut above) starts throwing all those endless bouquets of nice words toward said school. Hey, it's difficult to throw cold water on those saying nice things about you, now isn't it? :)

I (like I know many of you) have vascillated on the MWC versus the CUSA as far as our school is concerned and only thought the MWC would be right for North Texasa if 3 Texas schools plus (maybe) Tulsa came along for the ride; but upon further review, I now hope that all now in CUSA would all hang in there together and just resist the songs of the Gang of 5 Sirens

A major reason for that is I think it highly probable that future CUSA TV packages will trump any future MWC TV package even with Boise and BYU in their league and I base that (admittedly as a novice) solely based on where the population of the USA will be compared to the moutain west region.

AND...if BYU and San Diego State rejoin Boise they will all 3 undoubtedly get higher cuts of the TV action over the balance of the MWC. How many schools from CUSA would really want to play an (insulting) lesser paid role as that?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1