Boise staying in MWC

NT03

So with recent Group of 5 conference revenues that Side Show Joe did some great research findings inasmuch that SMU and UH would actually leave a conference with more TV revenues per school (CUSA) for another that has less TV revenues per school, ie, the MWC? :goodone: Pardon me while I have my first big belly laugh of 2013 on that one.

GMG!

PS: The MWC would only make sense if more than just 2 Texas schools went along for the ride.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

So with recent Group of 5 conference revenues that Side Show Joe did some great research findings inasmuch that SMU and UH would actually leave a conference with more TV revenues per school (CUSA) for another that has less TV revenues per school, ie, the MWC? :goodone: Pardon me while I have my first big belly laugh of 2013 on that one.

GMG!

PS: The MWC would only make sense if more than just 2 Texas schools went along for the ride.

Well MWC's TV deal expires in a couple years so who knows what it is worth.

The ball game out west is probably what do Wyoming, AFA, Colorado State, and New Mexico think now. If they grow to 14 with UH and SMU, the east division is those four with the two Texas schools and likely Utah State. If they grow to 16 with UTEP, Tulsa, UH, SMU, the east is the four front-rage with the four new. Those four bear the brunt of adding teams further east. If they aren't on board, they've got the votes to block it. If they love the idea the rest of the league doesn't much care except for losing some home games with AFA.

Living in NM at the time of the 16 there was major opposition to losing rivalries. However, BYU and Utah were still in the league and big draws in the Pit. The split has and always will be an issue with UNM; however, I don't know how much power they truly weild. I will say they will fight like mad if they lose the rivalries with UNLV and SDSU. Those three basketball powers drive the bball image of the league with an emerging Boise. You let Boise drive the football bus and the MWC is in great shape! I don't see why you need Dallas and Houston when your team is going to have the best shot at getting to the BCS every year. Living in Vegas during the rise of the MWC I can tell you that TCU even with their dominance always was an outlier. There was so little interest about TCU in Las Vegas because the Rebels stunk in football and TCU even when decent played in front of a few hundred fans at home. There was no emotional connection to the Frogs, so I am not sure how excited SDSU, Fresno and UNLV will be to adding the Ponies and Coogs. It would be like getting that random game against that team from far away - ala Ball State and Ohio when the Mean Green play them every now and then. Tulsa to me would be even further off the emotionally charged chart.

CUSA - cares about markets

MWC - cares about rivalries

SBC - plays with a chip on its shoulder

BE - cares about surviving

MAC - cares about tradition and regional rivalries

GMG

If there was a chance of an auto bid BCS spot then I think Houston and SMU to the Mountain West would make more sense...

I just don't see them making this move.

It's really interesting but here's where I see things.

A. Houston, SMU can't sell their fans on going back to C-USA even though it absolutely makes the most sense....

B. Mountain West core schools aren't excited about adding another Texas school or schools to dominate their conference like TCU did. More mouths to feed and the Texas schools will have better talent pool to pull from in all major sports.

C. People are forgetting that TV contracts are still driven by TV markets. Even with all the defections, the Big East has a better TV market than the Mountain West, especially now that Boise gets to keep a lot of their own game revenues.

D. The schools that comprise the Gang of Five will continue to beat their chest and maintain a pecking order despite the fact that no matter which conference you are in, you will still have the same access and opportunity to the big money bowl. So, in theory - being in a "tougher" conference could actually work against your chances to get into the BCS bowl and money...EX - Houston and SMU going to the Mountain West will not help their attendance one bit.. that's essentially the dilemma Tulsa has right now, they had great success in C-USA and don't want to lose that momentum.

So I see Houston and SMU hanging in the Big East for the time being.

If there was a chance of an auto bid BCS spot then I think Houston and SMU to the Mountain West would make more sense...

I just don't see them making this move.

It's really interesting but here's where I see things.

A. Houston, SMU can't sell their fans on going back to C-USA even though it absolutely makes the most sense....

B. Mountain West core schools aren't excited about adding another Texas school or schools to dominate their conference like TCU did. More mouths to feed and the Texas schools will have better talent pool to pull from in all major sports.

C. People are forgetting that TV contracts are still driven by TV markets. Even with all the defections, the Big East has a better TV market than the Mountain West, especially now that Boise gets to keep a lot of their own game revenues.

D. The schools that comprise the Gang of Five will continue to beat their chest and maintain a pecking order despite the fact that no matter which conference you are in, you will still have the same access and opportunity to the big money bowl. So, in theory - being in a "tougher" conference could actually work against your chances to get into the BCS bowl and money...EX - Houston and SMU going to the Mountain West will not help their attendance one bit.. that's essentially the dilemma Tulsa has right now, they had great success in C-USA and don't want to lose that momentum.

So I see Houston and SMU hanging in the Big East for the time being.

Minor disagreement.

TV first looks at proven ratings for when teams are on. That's why small market teams in the SEC and Big XII can make good money.

If you don't have ratings that move the needle, then given a choice between small market and large, they go with large.

• Upvote 1