A lesson for our future QB's

SilverEagle

In going into the Washington game, Tony Romo was enjoying one of his best statistical years. As the Washington Redskins (and Saints) proved, stats don't mean jack. Making the plays and NOT turning the ball over does.

So this spring, I hope that part of the evaluation of every QB candidate involves trying to move the third team offense against the first team defense. The candidate that consistently finds a way to move the ball and NOT throw int's, or fumble, in the process, gets the starting job.

I don't care how pretty your passes are, or how far down field you can heave the ball. I do care about how well you move around, and how unfazed you are when a pack of defensive wolves are bearing down on you. And I do care about how well you take command of the team and the situation you are in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In going into the Washington game, Tony Romo was enjoying one of his best statistical years. As the Washington Redskins (and Saints) proved, stats don't mean jack. Making the plays and NOT turning the ball over does.

So this spring, I hope that part of the evaluation of every QB candidate involves trying to move the third team offense against the first team defense. The candidate that consistently finds a way to move the ball and NOT throw int's, or fumble, in the process, gets the starting job.

I don't care how pretty your passes are, or how far down field you can heave the ball. I do care about how well you move around, and how unfazed you are when a pack of defensive wolves are bearing down on you. And I do care about how well you take command of the team and the situation you are in.

The lesson is, hope your GM drafts or signs some offensive linemen.

• Upvote 3

I don't think that that is the main issue. Tony has turned the ball over in good times and bad.

Tony didn't have a great game yesterday but to suggest he is the reason the Cowboys can't win the big game is rather ridiculous. Tony Romo is the only reason the Cowboys ever have a chance every Sunday. Without Tony this season they would be one of the worst teams in the NFL hands down.

• Upvote 4

Tony didn't have a great game yesterday but to suggest he is the reason the Cowboys can't win the big game is rather ridiculous. Tony Romo is the only reason the Cowboys ever have a chance every Sunday. Without Tony this season they would be one of the worst teams in the NFL hands down.

I believe they were. Success in the NFL is making the playoffs. Did the cowboys make the playoffs? Hell, Lovey Smith got canned in Chicago with a 10-6 reord because his team didn't make the playoffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let's just can every coach on every team in every league from pee wee football to the NFL and from every tee ball team to MLB. Seems to be the only thing that will make many who post here happy...and while we are at it let' throw in all the GM's too.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe they were. Success in the NFL is making the playoffs. Did the cowboys make the playoffs? Hell, Lovey Smith got canned in Chicago with a 10-6 reord because his team didn't make the playoffs.

Of course you want to make the playoffs but when I say worst teams I mean bad as in 2-4 wins bad. Romo is the only reason why Dallas ever has a chance every weekend. And regardless of anything you have to look at how this organization is run and who is in charge. You being a Redskins fan should know a little bit about bad organizational hierarchy but finally Snyder wised up and couldn't stand sucking or being mediocre at best. Jerry Jones on the other hand will continue to be mediocre at best and run this team until he is dead. It's a shame that Romo's prime and career is getting pissed away in this circus of an organization. I know he wouldn't and won't do that but if I am Tony I would ask myself if I really wanted to stick around in Dallas knowing all the crap that goes on here.

• Upvote 1

Romo is a good QB. But, there have many many good QBs in the league stuck in bad situations team-wise.

You have to look at everyone's situation. Dallas, whether we as Cowboy fans like to admit it or not, is going the way of Oakland - a franchise with an owner who stubbornly must be the center of attention, win or lose. He must make all decisions. He cannot let go of what he perceives to be "control" to a real football GM.

I can't for the life of my understand why guys like Jerry Jones and Al Davis couldn't just enjoy their wealth, but let people who knew football better make decisions as the league progressed into a baseball-like free agency entity.

How anyone can look at the Cowboys offensive line and place blame for whatever failures Dallas has on Romo is beyond me. If you have no run game, it is because your offensive line is not good.

Look at Washington, or any team under Shanahan in Denver. You can take any decent back and make them productive with a good offensive line. With the threat of a run game, you open up the pass game.

Dallas' run game is a joke. Their offensive line is a joke. And, really, their receiving corp is inconsistent. They gave a huge contract to Miles Austin, which is a terrible albatross now. You simply cannot give out that kind of contract based on one year of production. You can't. Dallas did, and got stuck with it.

Dez Bryant...he catches some, he misses some. He'll never be disciplined enough about his game to be a consistent threat. Despite the head cases Randy Moss and Terrell Owens were off the field, they managed many great years on the field. Bryant...it's just not in him.

The only consistent part of the Cowboy offense since Tony Romo has been starter has been Jason Witten. It's not enough. Jerry and his boy have done a terrible job of building the team around Tony and Jason. it's a terrible waste of two first rate talents.

• Upvote 5