Analysis of Tony Mitchell

All About UNT

Absolutely spot on. This is what we have been seeing all year. NBA folks at the Lehigh game said pretty much the same thing.

So, for all our basketball experts here, is this correct, and, if so, how does Mitchell break out of this pattern and showcase the skills he has before it is too late in the season? Is this the evaluation of a NBA lottery pick, a first rounder or a second rounder or a guy that needs another year in college ball?

Hopefully, some of our more basketball savvy posters can discuss this without the emotions involved in most of the discussions I have seen lately.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I get the feeling watching Tony that he is just a visitor on the team...just passing through Denton to some unknown destination.

I think that's unfair. He hasn't played up to his ability for sure but he is one of the most unselfish players I have ever seen, as Benford puts it TOO unselfish!

I get the feeling watching Tony that he is just a visitor on the team...just passing through Denton to some unknown destination.

You know I didn't get that sense last year. I genuinely felt as if he had passion for North Texas and its fans. I think that has been beaten out of him after coaching changes, losses and general bad vibes around this team. Is it up to him to leave that all behind and give it 100% of effort? Yes, but he is obviously in a caustic situation right now with the team and coaching staff.

I mean, we're all fans only and here we all are calling for canning the coach and "is it 2013 yet?" types of comments. I'm sure he's aware of it too.

• Upvote 1

All this talk of him falling to the second round is absurd. He's a lock to be picked in the first round if for no other reason than potential. Guys his size with his athleticism and skillset don't grow on trees.

Does he need another year? I'm going to say no. Age is a valuable commodity in the NBA, and he'd be better served spending next year with an NBA team, getting NBA-caliber coaching, without having to worry about going to class. Oh, and the money doesn't hurt. He's not a center, and both Johnny and Benford refused/refuse to accept that. Given that 99% of his college minutes are spent at the 5, while 0% of his NBA minutes will be spent there, there's only so much he can improve on while here. Not to mention that everytime he touches the ball, he's got 2 or 3 defenders swarming him. In the NBA, defenses won't be gameplanning to shut him down. He's better suited to be a role player on offense. He would have to improve significantly to offset the extra year of his age being tacked on.

As far as pay is concerned, in the NBA, you make the bulk of your money after your rookie contract. Even if he fell to the mid-20s, he'd still be making around 1 million, compared to 1.8 million if he was picked 10th. And if he came back to school, that's another year of possible injury, while not getting paid, with limited practice time, and mandatory classes.

It is in his best interest to leave. That is not to say that I wouldn't love to have him back. I guess we'll see what happens.

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 5

This same link projects him as the #17 Draft pick for the Celtics and probably the best athelete in the draft. Amazing. I think that Tony is about to wake up and go medievel on some azzz. Jerkin down impossible defensive rebounds, altering shots, blockin peoples's $h^t and single motion offensive rebound put backs that NBA scouts like to see. Crisp passing back out to the perimeter and then feeding dumps back in to Tony for a 2 hand jam. ALL DAY !

I really feel like Tony will become totally unstoppable in 2013 and get UNT to the Sunbelt Finals.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely spot on. This is what we have been seeing all year. NBA folks at the Lehigh game said pretty much the same thing.

So, for all our basketball experts here, is this correct, and, if so, how does Mitchell break out of this pattern and showcase the skills he has before it is too late in the season? Is this the evaluation of a NBA lottery pick, a first rounder or a second rounder or a guy that needs another year in college ball?

Hopefully, some of our more basketball savvy posters can discuss this without the emotions involved in most of the discussions I have seen lately.

I'm not a basketball expert, and the most emotional posts I have seen have been from defenders trying to keep the faith when everyone else is calling it like they see it. I've been posting less and less because I find that I don't have a whole lot of positive comments this season. Let me save you the tired "opinion" sentence at the end of all of your posts, and tell you now, "This is my opinion".

For Mitchell to showcase his skills, the offense must change. The touches Tony is getting at the top of the arc just aren't cutting it. That's not running the offense through Tony. It's making sure Tony just touches a ball. It's contrived, and it's obvious, and it isn't working.

Most elite players add something to their game every off season. If Tony is serious about the NBA, he will add something to his game every year. I haven't seen one thing from Tony that I didn't see last year, but I'd love to hear from others as well.

The rest of the team: Passing isn't just something Tony hasn't mastered. I counted at least 4 times against WKU where one extra pass would have led to a high percentage shot, but instead the ball was taken into a 2v1 disadvantage. I haven't seen anyone that can make an inlet pass to Tony. The author is correct in saying that they front Tony and usually have a weak side defender sagging over the back, but sometimes there isn't, and if there is, it could be that the offensive player is either open, or needs to float out more (spacing). The most critical person we lost from last year's team was Tyler Hall. He was a master at the inlet pass. It's not an indictment of the other guys on the team because I haven't seen a whole lot of college guards that are good at it. Even on elite teams, it's rare to see more than a couple guys capable of getting the ball to a big man where he is most lethal in a half court set. What I'd like to see is an attempt to overload one side of the floor on offense, clear out one whole side for Tony alone with his one or 2 defenders and let the man work. He should be able to take one defender in our league and pass out of 2. This usually only works against man to man defense, but can cause a teams zone to rubber band. The problem: we need someone who can make passes, not the guard to guard kind on the perimeter, because that does us no good without shooters. We need to get better passing inside the arc.

The hardest thing for me as a fan to gather, is whether it's coaching or players. I don't watch practice. But right now, it looks as if we aren't adapting our offense well to what is happening in games.

Edit: One other thing: Coleman must play more minutes.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Tony can and should go pro. He has nothing left that this coaching staff can do for him. I've said it before and I'll say it again...good coaches adjust their system to the strengths of their players. Think Mike Shanahan, a guy with TWO Super Bowl rings, is glad he catered his offense to fit a rookie QB? The Cowboys aren't.

Tony has an above average ability, in my estimation, to take a fellow big man offthe dribble. I'd run sets where we vlear out and let him try to get to the hole. Not all the time, or even primarily, but I'd run it every time they start to pack it in. I'd run pick and rolls with CJ and J-Will where someone is always dive cutting into the center of that zone. Hell, I'd run anything that differs from stagnant passing around the perimeter and praying for our shooting percentage to magically improve.

This kid KNOWS (not thinks) he could be getting paid to do this for a living. He came back because he does love his teammates, this school and being in school in general. Even more than his freak athleticism I was always amazed and how humble and childlike he was. It's not fun for him out there. And if some of you stubborn folks can't see that waging a war if wills with the best talent we've ever seen shows a complete lack of wisdom on the part of the ADULTS in this equation then NT athletics will never be without customers...because you'll buy anything.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm wondering what he's like in practice. If he's half assing it down the court during the game, then what does he look like at practice and does that trickle down to the others? I think it's more of a product of how easy everything has come for him, not his character, he can almost sleepwalk in the sunbelt and average a double-double. It seems that he puts forth more effort in the bigger games this year (Lehigh, creighton, etc.), but runs at 80% at times in the other games. Hopefully, he sees some of these articles and makes some changes for the better. Effort is the easiest adjustment to make.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

It's a tough call for a coach...build his system around a star player for 2-3 years, or look long term and get that star player to fit into the system he's probably been successful with all his career.

A couple of years ago we had NBA prospect Marquez Haynes (think he went to an NBA camp, is now playing overseas) who averaged 21+ a game, and even though defenses double and triple-teamed him...he still got his 20 a night plus a ton of assists. He was by far the best player on our otherwise average team (and in the conference probably). But the cool part was all his scoring came within the flow of the offense, not just taking selfish shots. What he put up, he had good looks at.

With Tony's game...if you did build an offensive strategy to show off his skills...could it be done within the flow of UNT offense? Maybe set up a lot of pick-and-rolls or try to establish a good inside-outside game? I'm thinking if ya'll had another good 3point shooter or two...that would take pressure off Tony a lot. Our centers face the same thing--not much good Mav perimeter shooting, so our paint players see more defensive pressure.

• Upvote 1

It's a tough call for a coach...build his system around a star player for 2-3 years, or look long term and get that star player to fit into the system he's probably been successful with all his career.

A couple of years ago we had NBA prospect Marquez Haynes (think he went to an NBA camp, is now playing overseas) who averaged 21+ a game, and even though defenses double and triple-teamed him...he still got his 20 a night plus a ton of assists. He was by far the best player on our otherwise average team (and in the conference probably). But the cool part was all his scoring came within the flow of the offense, not just taking selfish shots. What he put up, he had good looks at.

With Tony's game...if you did build an offensive strategy to show off his skills...could it be done within the flow of UNT offense? Maybe set up a lot of pick-and-rolls or try to establish a good inside-outside game? I'm thinking if ya'll had another good 3point shooter or two...that would take pressure off Tony a lot. Our centers face the same thing--not much good Mav perimeter shooting, so our paint players see more defensive pressure.

We don't have any good 3 point shooters, at least that are active.

• Upvote 1

If my memory serves me correct , Haynes narrowed it down between us & you guys after he left BC. Good get. He was a baller

You know I didn't get that sense last year. I genuinely felt as if he had passion for North Texas and its fans. I think that has been beaten out of him after coaching changes, losses and general bad vibes around this team. Is it up to him to leave that all behind and give it 100% of effort? Yes, but he is obviously in a caustic situation right now with the team and coaching staff.

I mean, we're all fans only and here we all are calling for canning the coach and "is it 2013 yet?" types of comments. I'm sure he's aware of it too.

Just a small correction....we are not ALL calling for the canning of the coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

All this talk of him falling to the second round is absurd. He's a lock to be picked in the first round if for no other reason than potential. Guys his size with his athleticism and skillset don't grow on trees.

Does he need another year? I'm going to say no. Age is a valuable commodity in the NBA, and he'd be better served spending next year with an NBA team, getting NBA-caliber coaching, without having to worry about going to class. Oh, and the money doesn't hurt. He's not a center, and both Johnny and Benford refused/refuse to accept that. Given that 99% of his college minutes are spent at the 5, while 0% of his NBA minutes will be spent there, there's only so much he can improve on while here. Not to mention that everytime he touches the ball, he's got 2 or 3 defenders swarming him. In the NBA, defenses won't be gameplanning to shut him down. He's better suited to be a role player on offense. He would have to improve significantly to offset the extra year of his age being tacked on.

As far as pay is concerned, in the NBA, you make the bulk of your money after your rookie contract. Even if he fell to the mid-20s, he'd still be making around 1 million, compared to 1.8 million if he was picked 10th. And if he came back to school, that's another year of possible injury, while not getting paid, with limited practice time, and mandatory classes.

It is in his best interest to leave. That is not to say that I wouldn't love to have him back. I guess we'll see what happens.

Go Mean Green

Thank you for this. Well put. Just the sort of thing that puts the T Mitch situation in perspective. Very well stated.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a basketball expert, and the most emotional posts I have seen have been from defenders trying to keep the faith when everyone else is calling it like they see it. I've been posting less and less because I find that I don't have a whole lot of positive comments this season. Let me save you the tired "opinion" sentence at the end of all of your posts, and tell you now, "This is my opinion."

Well, thanks for keeping the emotions out of it. And, let me get this straight...in your opinion if you think the sky is falling that is "telling it like it is", but if you think otherwise it is just an emotional post. Roger...got it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Just a small observation...one of us never calls for the canning of any coach. :wub:

Correct you are...probably never will, but I would call for the non-renewal of a contract at its expiration. I believe contracts, when signed, should be honored (on both sides by the way).

It was the "right guy" at the right amount when signed, and it was a good enough job to take at the money offered when signed....so it's good enough for its term. Just because you decide you don't like the gig or the guy you signed ... Well, too bad...good enough when signed. I realize it doesn't work this way in today's "me me me" world, but it does with me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank you for this. Well put. Just the sort of thing that puts the T Mitch situation in perspective. Very well stated.

My observation is that the Sun BElt is a power forward,not a center league, and that Tony is playing out of position. This coming from a fan who only experience with X's and O's is tic tac toe.

Correct you are...probably never will, but I would call for the non-renewal of a contract at its expiration. I believe contracts, when signed, should be honored (on both sides by the way).

It was the "right guy" at the right amount when signed, and it was a good enough job to take at the money offered when signed....so it's good enough for its term. Just because you decide you don't like the gig or the guy you signed ... Well, too bad...good enough when signed. I realize it doesn't work this way in today's "me me me" world, but it does with me.

I don't understand, there are early termination clauses built into just about every contract, especially coaches. Anything done prior to the end of the stated length of the contract is typically identified in no unspecified terms in the contract. Thus, the contract would be honored even if he was fired 1 day after both parties agreed to sign it, because it is a legal document and outlines that process. Length and amount of money are important parts of the contract, but not the only parts.

Things change over the course of 5 years and both parties can't foresee what's going to happen. Do you honor the length of your phone agreement, even when it may be cheaper to pay the penalty and switch companies to get a free phone and cheaper monthly terms from another? Do you not refinance your house when rates go down? It's an economic decision, not an emotional one. I don't know where that tradeoff occurs, but it's there, and Rick had better be evaluating that for all of our coaches, because it's his job to.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 3

I stated last year that Tony was no where near NBA ready and should stay in college for four years. If he has good advisors, they should tell him the same. The Benford factor and money may push him out sooner. Tony is a very athletic COMPLIMENTARY player. As correctly pointed out in the article, he is not a go to guy. When Benford finally figures this out, the team will be better. Unfortunately, we don't have a go to guy on this year's team. This is the basis of our struggles. TJ Taylor is that type of guy but we will have to wait next year.

• Upvote 1

I stated last year that Tony was no where near NBA ready and should stay in college for four years. If he has good advisors, they should tell him the same. The Benford factor and money may push him out sooner. Tony is a very athletic COMPLIMENTARY player. As correctly pointed out in the article, he is not a go to guy. When Benford finally figures this out, the team will be better. Unfortunately, we don't have a go to guy on this year's team. This is the basis of our struggles. TJ Taylor is that type of guy but we will have to wait next year.

I agree that tony isn't a go to guy and the sooner benford figures it out the better. That said, we didn't have one guy we leaned on last year more than others. We didn't have a great year last year maybe because of that, but we certainly weren't this bad.