SMU Shows Dominance and Progress in Hawaii

DallasGreen

SMU proved last night that it is light years ahead of North Texas. It's time to consider letting them buy out this series to stop what will be certain embarrassment if we follow through with facing such a program that clearly dwarfs North Texas. It is apparent that coaches, AD, and students don't mind being whipped completely by metroplex foes (see UTA in BB last two years). Only older alums who continue to endure the ridicule and embarrasement really care. Put them out of their misery. Run up the white flag and take in the mercy that cancelling this series will bring to the long sufferring of those who care and have endured for those that could care less and show no pride.

Edited by DallasGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 16

SMU proved last night that it is light years ahead of North Texas. It's time to consider letting them buy out this series to stop what will be certain embarrassment if we follow through with facing such a program that clearly dwarfs North Texas. It is apparent that coaches, AD, and students don't mind being whipped completely by metroplex foes (see UTA in BB last two years). Only older alums who continue to endure the ridicule and embarrasement really care. Put them out of their misery. Run up the white flag and take in the mercy that cancelling this series will bring to the long sufferring of those who care and have endured for those that could care less and show no pride.

Or, you could just become an SMU fan, ride their bandwagon and Pony Up.

• Upvote 6

Well, the Ponies looked really good yesterday, except that I am not convinced that Gilbert is the real deal for the SMU faithful. Anyway, way to go Ponies...good to see a local team win that one...even if it was SMU.

But, I say, bring it on! This will be a great series for the Mean Green and SMU. Lots of rear ends in the seats and lots of fans tailgating and having a great time. A real college football Saturday against a team folks actually can have some passion for as a rival. It's good that SMU will be better as the Mean green will as well...so, yep...bring it on. This Mean Greener is not backing down or running and hiding...especially for SMU. As was said a bit ago in Gonzales, TX..."Come and Take It"...if you can!

Nice win...Ponies. See you soon....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dallas Green is one of the most giving and "gives a damn" alums we've had at UNT. Not many on this forum can come close to topping his financial contributions to North Texas and all that since the 1960's. (He also gives to other areas of the UNT community, too).

Some of my favorite SMU/UNT game memories Dallas Green, Rick Spears and others were part of. One of my favorite SMU/UNT game moments was an early 80's game at a pre-game tailgate at Texas Stadium when D.G. addressed "then" SMU AD Bob Hitch! What a moment! :clapping: NOTE: We didn't know it then, but we were playing against a $emi-pro college football team.

Like many of us older alums we have seen way too many down times and too many "start over all over again's " at North Texas and to all you Young Gun Alums, it just has an effect on you (hell, just look at me) when many of us older types have seen too many schools once at or even below our level pass us by.......... but as Bill Clinton used to say.............

NOW LISTEN TO ME....................if SMU can turn around their dismal football program of the last 2 or 3 decades of which the link below shows has really been worse than ours.............then...................so can North Texas turn its fortunes around, too.

The sad part about SMU is that they don't draw fans with winning football teams. I guran'darn'tee you that North Texas will draw quite nicely with winning football teams in the stadium we now have and most all of you on this board to the person will even agree with crusty ol' phart PMG on that, too, (I think).

You really have to see SMU's year by year W/L link below to still be able to appreciate how we can "count our many blessings" here during the Christmas season in Mean Green Country. Even many of their winning seasons at one part of their football history were with players that were paid hence their Death Penalty. The most amazing part to me is how SMU can still get by on the capital it gets with all this re-alignment business and that from a 1939 NCAA N.C. and the Doak Walker Era now close to 70 years ago.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/smu.shtml

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Congrats to the pony and they should be a minimum bar that we cross. With a larger alumni base and better facilities we simply must strive to win 3 of 4 bowl games in a four year stretch. Mac knows the bar. RV feels the bar and now is the time to deliver.

We will be a better team by the time we play the ponies and Jones will most likely be gone after this year. Keep the series. We will compete, we will win and this will become a big time matchup that many are looking forward to for the next few years.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Dallas, you know I love you man. But if we duck SM-FREAKIN-U then we might as well drop football. We took the field against ULM and WKU this year...and I'd give them even odds to hang with the big bad ponies.

If, as many are predicting, Mac turns it around then we'll be just fine against SMU. Either at our place or theirs we'll outnumber their fans and give our team a boost.

If Mac doesn't turn it around...well, they won't beat us any worse than every other team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is always fun to play SMU and we always have a good crowd here and travel well there. As a UNT fan since Odus Mitchell was Marshall Maverick, (well, almost) I have put up with our, let us say, "inconsistent" program far too long to bail out now. If SMU beats us each year in the upcoming series, however, it may be time to adopt another school just to have a team to cheer for in basketball and football, my own alma mater notwithstanding. The Mustangs might be a good choice, although I will remain loyal to our non-revenue sports as those kids seem to be great kids who are generally well coached and reasonably successful. I will miss our cheerleaders.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The Ponies did look impressive last night. Marcus Hunt will be the steal of the 2013 NFL draft. Hopefully the Dallas Cowboys will seriously take a look at him in the first round (stock rising) and possibly Zach Line in a later round. Hunt reminds me of JJ Watts (Houston Texans) that we passed up for Tyron Smith. Smith's a good player but we needed help at the defensive end spot more.

UNT will have the psychological advantage against SMU. This is the main reason they have avoided playing us and you can't blame them. UTA continues to kick our ass but we still feel superior. We've been talking about this series for the past 2-3 years. Not sure SMU fans are even aware of the upcoming series. We need to continue to take care of what we can control at North Texas (better recruiting) and stop hating on SMU. I actually feel that good football in Dallas in better for North Texas as well.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to the Ponies- nice win and a good four bowl games. I can't help but think that Fresno State was overrated losing to a 6-6 SMU team in that fashion.

I can't wait until we play SMU, but I agree we will likely be big underdogs. They have done well recruiting and that will only improve as they are now selling the fact that they went to four bowl games.

With the rise of Baylor, TCU and now SMU, our recruiting will only get more difficult. I also think that if McCarney can't really turn this around in the next 2-3 years, our window of opportunity may close.

• Upvote 1

The OP of this thread may give tons of $$$ to the university, but that attitude of his is pathetic. I don't care if you are worried about being embarrassed if SMU wipes the floor with us--you still play the game. Besides, the OP knows as well as anyone that we don't exactly have the dough to go buying out any series of games against anyone, much less a team that is right down the road and doesn't cost a thing to travel to.

I've lived in the Metroplex all my life, too. I'm 40 and in the business world, too. I deal with Longhorns, Aggies, Red Raiders, Frogs, Ponies, Bears, Sooners, Cowboys, K-State Wildcats, Jayhawks, CU Buffaloes, Huskers, Tulsa fans, La Tech Bulldogs, and UH Cougars, too. They all know what North Texas has been in sports and most of them would like to see us get better, just because most people cheer for an underdog. Not once I have ever been "humiliated" by someone else about North Texas' poor performance or lack of support at any level that was worse than what I already knew or felt at the time. Its like you are embarrassed of being an alum, or worse, you seemed just "shocked" that our school that is heavy into arts and education really never cared about sports until recently. Its hard to compete with SWC schools when you aren't even trying to compete with them, nor get the $$$ or media coverage they get. Just tell those folks that are "embarrassing" you that our band would humiliate their band. I'm sure they'll be just as embarrassed as you...