Merry Christmas Mean Greeners!

Harry

I don't have a penchant for playing with lights and causing a power outage in the southern United States...but I do have the gift of humor. So, I give to you all The Police Files Holiday Edition. Over the past four months I've been down here supervising (read, cleaning up) the 9-1-1 call center. And in that time I've learned that, as Flavor Flav so eloquently said, 9-1-1 is a joke in your town. Not because of the system or even the responding officers...but because of the geniuses that reside in this here big city. Here are a few of the gems I've experienced...

A lady called in today requesting we send officers to her home to...unlock her hancuffs because she lost the key. Apparently while mommy was kissing Santa Claus she decided to take things in an S&M direction and forgot that you need a safe word AND a handcuff key.

Another woman called in to report that she needed police because Wal-Mart "wouldn't let their employees go." The audacity of Wal-Mart to ask people to work while the store is open on Christmas Eve.

Yesterday and older woman from far North Dallas called 9-1-1 to complain that the local sub-station wouldn't answer the phone and she needed an officer to come speak at her neighborhood watch event. I guess she and her friends are looking for crime prevention tips that go beyond be rich, be white, live behind iron gates and live far from the inner city. That we didn't have an officer to dispatch to her FROM THE 9-1-1 CALL CENTER was simply unacceptable. I'm told the complaint is forthcoming...I'll continue holding my breath.

A man called to complain that he was unsatisfied with his lap dance at the Lipstick Lounge. He was highly intoxicated and, since all of our lines are recorded, I made sure I got him to explain in full detail that the dancers at the nude establishment didn't grind on him properly. Needless to say, his "theft" report never got filed.

About a month ago a man called to complain that he was shopping at the Wal-Mart near 75 and Lemmon and that he observed an officer who was...wait for it...on his cell phone and laughing. When I asked the man if there was some emergency that this officer should have been tending to he replied that there was not but that he just couldn't see how we could allow our officers the free time to talk on a phone. Then, when I asked if perhaps this officer was working an off-duty job and was simply there to respond to on-site disturbances and offenses, he became irate and told me that it was ridiculous that police officers could work off-duty and make money to be security when "the rest of us have to rely on ONE job that doesn't pay as much."

Not too long ago a man called to report his vehicle "stolen." The man stated that, because he doesn't have great credit, he went to an dealership with a friend and that the two co-signed on the financing for the vehicle. It seems that the two of them went to a party and, when this man became drunk, he gave the keys to this same friend and asked him to drive him home. Well, it seems the friend dropped him off and never returned the vehicle. So, this genius wanted to report his vehicle "stolen" because the registered owner hadn't returned it. This man called back and argued with me FIVE TIMES.

And now for a "success story". Two months ago a lady called in to report that the little girl next door to her was being beaten by her step-father. The woman could hear everything that was happening and, though she had been threatened with physical violence by this man before if she interfered, she called 9-1-1. She stayed on the line with our operator for 35 minutes and gave amazing detail about both the father and the little girl. Because of her officers knew that the man owns a firearm and we were able to tactically go in and arrest him. The man has since been released from jail on bond and this woman has since moved because of him. The silver lining you ask? I was able to track down her new address and I went to thank her in person. I've also since nominated her for a Citizen's Certificate of Merit. She'll be honored at a citizen's award banquet in the Spring that the DPD puts on.

So, as you hang your stockings and tuck in the little ones tonight thank God for two things. First, you're not stupid like some of these people. And second, we have the gift of laughter to enjoy said stupid people.

• Upvote 4

Great job with the lights and sound, Eric! And a Merry Merry Christmas to all....Try to take a moment to pause and reflect this Christmas season on just why it is we celebrate this magical season.

Have a great Christmas with family and friends, and have a safe a joyous New Year! See everyone on the flip side of 2012!

And...whiole you are at it...ask Santa to bring us all lots of Mean green wins in 2013 and beyond!

• Upvote 1