Honestly

Dr. Seuss

I was at NTSU in back half of the sixties when the school was in the Missouri Valley Conference and played before 4,000 fans in the bleachers of the gym ("snake pit"). NTSU dominated football '66 thru '68, but basketball was much tougher in the MVC. Still, the Eagles were competitive, and the gym was packed nearly every game. Living in Dallas and later back in hometown of Richardson after graduation, I had season tickets for the Cowboys for 19 years (until JJ bought the club), and the Mavericks for ten years. Pro sports ticket prices were already getting ridiculous by the time we moved to Flower Mound seven years ago, and the move made it easy to get reattached to UNT athletics. We have been football season ticket holders for several years now, and my recent retirement makes it easier to attend most basketball games. Was this last football season frustrating? Sure. Is this basketball season a major letdown? Sure. Do I keep my loyalty to my alma mater and hope for better days ahead? ABSOLUTELY!

I was there 1961thru 1966. We were 19-28-2 in football,even worse in basketball, but we always packed the pit.Saw some great MVC teams and players,but only one in green and white was John Savage.

I hope this thread is not about being "fair weather fans." There is a huge difference between venting frustration at the lack of success when expectations are high (as in this basketball season) vs. bailing out and just slamming the school and programs.

The reality for UNT athletics (for now) is it is a Mid-major school. It is a school that has some tastes of success in almost all sports at some point in time mixed with the misery of seasons where wins can be counted on one hand after a table saw accident. Very rarely does UNT get top recruits – they want to go to the top teams of the Gang of 5 conferences. Many times a mid-level recruit will come in and shine instead of going to the Go5 conference to ride the bench.

We The Mean Green Nation are proud, we have high expectations of our school and athletic programs, and someday we want to be much more than what we are. If you like, queue up the Dennis Green “They are who we thought they were” rant.

• Upvote 1