Why cant we fire Benford

Dr. Seuss

1.2 million might be cheap compared to the damage, Benford could do over another couple of years not only to the MBB program but to NT overall reputation. Benford's major asset has been recruiting and that is already gone; nobody with options is going to want to play here for him.

I really believe the thing to do right now, is let him go. You might have at least a chance of redeeming this season and the risk is low. Yes, the money is an enormous issue for a school like NT, but if it is correct that Benford has an offset for other salary than it might be much lower. At least, it would provide a point for bargaining for an agreed settlement.

By risk, I am not referring to finances, but that a new coach could do worse than Benford. I really don't think compared to the possible resurrection of the team that a coaching change would be that risky. Even if it is to be an interim coach like Evans.

Does anyone really think that Benford is going to be successful at NT? That after Mitchell, Holman, Niko, Patton, Franklin and probably others leave, that NT is going to get stronger under this coach?

Its only 1.2 mill if he doesnt get another job

He can collect 1.2 million without having to work. Ya I'd take that too because he'll likely be able to get a pretty decent assistant job whenever and wherever he wants.

Im pretty sure thats not how it works.. If he gets a job next year and he makes 300k and his base next year is 350k, we owe him 50k

Straight from Vito "If UNT were to terminate Benfords contract without cause, it would be required to pay him his monthly base salary multiplied by the number of months remaining on the contract. There is a mitigation clause in the deal that would reduce UNTs financial obligation by an amount equal to the salary of any new job Benford would take after leaving the school"

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Straight from Vito "If UNT were to terminate Benfords contract without cause, it would be required to pay him his monthly base salary multiplied by the number of months remaining on the contract. There is a mitigation clause in the deal that would reduce UNTs financial obligation by an amount equal to the salary of any new job Benford would take after leaving the school"

This is why I suggested in my first post that our only other option would be to pay him his salary and reassign him.....then HOPE he gets another job elsewhere.

We have done this before with Matt Simon. Coaches want to coach, not be Asst Athletic Director of Facilities.

Rick

• Upvote 2