Possible starting 2013 defense

Harry

NT - Dick Abbe - Solid not spectacular but takes up space and seems to have gotten better every year, McDorman and Sir Calvin, Haboul as backups

DT - Until someone proves me otherwise, I sticking with Boutwell. Undersized but quick and nasty. I think Orr and the west Texas kid Watson could factor in.

DE -I'd consider starting Juco Quenton Smith and RS Frosh Jerrian Roberts. Sarge and Bellazin in the rotation, young pups getting spot duty

WLB - Will Wright and Chad Polk

MLB - Derek Akunne and Orr as backup

SLB - Zach Orr and LaJaylin Smith

SS - Laramie Lee, Zed and maybe Schellci (sp?)

FS - Jamal Marshall,. Marcus Trice, Busby

CB - Zach Whitfield, Freddy Warner

CB - James Jones, Hilbert Jackson

I'd be interested in your thoughts and based on this list what position you would focus on in the high school ranks. DT, MLB and and Safety look like the spots to me.

DE - Sarge and Bellezin start, Brown in as a rush end

DT - Abbe and Boutwell start, Lincoln and hopefully McDorman and Wallace are ready to contribute

OLB - Akkune and Wright start, Polk should contribute...hopefully start to see more of LaJaylin Smith

MLB - Orr...some Roberts

CB - Whitfield and Jones start...Jackson was decent, but I think he shapes up ideally as a nickel back. I question whether Warner will be back.

S - Trice and Lee start...lots of Devante Davis and Zed Evans

• Upvote 1

DT - Abbe and Boutwell start, Lincoln and hopefully McDorman and Wallace are ready to contribute

OLB - Akkune and Wright start, Polk should contribute...hopefully start to see more of LaJaylin Smith

MLB - Orr...some Roberts

CB - Whitfield and Jones start...Jackson was decent, but I think he shapes up ideally as a nickel back. I question whether Warner will be back.

I agree with all of this (with the exception of maybe if Warner comes back strong, he can bump Whitfield to nickel where he can utilize his speed to cover the slot receiver).

Harry - I'd have a very hard time sitting Sarge if he's healthy for a RS Freshman in Roberts. I wouldn't move Orr from the middle either. He's the rock of this defense.

I also don't see any way Trice is not starting at S next year.

MLB - Orr...some Roberts

Roberts was moved to D-end...he's like 6-3, 250 from what I understand...really blew up. I agree that Orr is a good middle guy, just think he could be better at strong...and I think Akunne is better inside than he is outside. I personally would like a guy bigger than Trice and Lee at safety but that's just me... they are pretty good players. Not a big defense but a pretty quick one!

Starters:

DEs - Quenton Smith, Sarge McCoy

DTs - Boutwell, Abbe

OLBs - Wright, Akunne

MLB - Orr (he ain't movin')

S - Trice, Lee

CB - Whitfield, Jackson (I believe Jones has a good chance to unseat one of these . . . I'll just have to see how spring plays out before saying if so and which one)

That's just the starters. . . . but I believe there will be plenty more seeing the field. I expect defensive backups next season to get much more PT than in the previous years of the Mac era.

I agree that Orr is a good middle guy, just think he could be better at strong...and I think Akunne is better inside than he is outside.

I agree that Akunne is probably better at MLB than outside. . . . But I think Orr absolutely belongs in the middle. It would surprise me to see Orr moved outside when he has played MLB his entire career, and next year is his senior year.

I agree that Akunne is probably better at MLB than outside. . . . But I think Orr absolutely belongs in the middle. It would surprise me to see Orr moved outside when he has played MLB his entire career, and next year is his senior year.

But if Orr is wanting a shot at the league he will have to show that he can pass defend and play the outside position -- in my opinion. It's a situation where you are trying to get your best players on the field. I hate that Akunne has to sit when Orr is in the middle and I have no doubt Orr would be an excellent strong side backer...

DE: Bellazin and Brown B: McCoy, Horton, Dilonga

DT: Boutwell and Wallace B: Lincoln, McDorman, Abbe, M. Thompson

OLB: Akunne, Polk B: Wright, L. Smith, Scott

MLB: Orr B: Roberts

CB: Whitfield, Jones B: Jackson, D. Davis, Kelly

S: Warner, Lee B: Trice, Evans, Busby

I see you're not afraid to call a few upsets. . . . But Wallace starting at NT is the biggest surprise of all. Based on what I've heard, we ought to be thrilled if he has progressed to the point of cracking the 2-deep by next season. Is there any reason you see it playing out that way, or just a gut feeling?

Oh, and by the way, who's Brown?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

I wonder sometimes if, Horton and Dilonga could play - not start - but play and contribute...I think when those guys are productive you go from a good team to a great team. Their height and length on the corners will really affect the opponent passing game. With the juco signings I'm getting excited about things again.

Dilonga was not a player in high school. Maybe he can help by his junior or senior year. I don't know why we didn't go heavier in the Juco's. I get the concern about the impact on the program 2-3 years down the road; in terms of numbers. We've had 2 generations of freshmen graduate without seeing a winning product. Why worry about the next 2-3 years? The conference realignment will not end any time soon. We need to win now! We are still a bad football team. The administration owe it to long suffering fans to put the best product out on the field next year. Our HS recruiting continues to suck and we end up stuck with bad players for 4-5 years.

I really like the signing of Brown (DE). Building a championship team starts on defense. In particular, the front four. Maybe we can continue to build on recruiting next year. (or the next year, or the year after that until UTA get's their program up and running)

I really like the signing of Brown (DE). Building a championship team starts on defense. In particular, the front four. Maybe we can continue to build on recruiting next year. (or the next year, or the year after that until UTA get's their program up and running)

Oh yeah, his name is Quenton Brown. We've been calling him Quenton Smith in this thread.

I see you're not afraid to call a few upsets. . . . But Wallace starting at NT is the biggest surprise of all. Based on what I've heard, we ought to be thrilled if he has progressed to the point of cracking the 2-deep by next season. Is there any reason you see it playing out that way, or just a gut feeling?

Oh, and by the way, who's Brown?

As to Wallace, it's a little of both. Wallace has a lot of ability but when he came here he had a terrible attitude. It is my understanding that he has seen the light and is dedicating himself to getting fit and learning the position.

Brown is Quenton Brown, the UCF, Hawaii, Eastern Arizona recruit. Maybe I should have gone back and looked but I'm pretty sure that his name is not Smith.

I love Sarge's grit and determination but like me he's getting a little long in the tooth. He was only able to play in nine games. In those nine games he had 22 tackles (9 solo) and 3.5 sacks. Aaron Bellazin was able to play in all 12 games, had 32 tackles (20 solo) and nine sacks. Since Sarge is 5 to 7 years older than many/most of the players he needs to pace himself and come in in special situations IMHO.