UNT Running out of time

Harry

I felt semi-safe hiring Benford because he made Coach Evans his associate head coach and I believed that his mentor would see that the ship stayed afloat. Please tell me that Coach Evans hasn't had much input into coaching this team. He has a ton of experience and needs to step in before it's too late. Poor results will eventually kill recruiting.

• Upvote 3

So one season huh. I'll ask my question again. Has this ever happened in the history of college basketball? Do we want that kind of notoriety? That may prove more harmful than sticking it out for a gut wrenching two-to three seasons (where's my projectile barf icon?) of this. Hey I want him out here as much as the next guy based on all of the evidence. Practicality and economics is another thing.

I get people will say "well then just kiss yer fans guhd bye and stuff". Well yes I get it, it will be ugly, but guess what, this is the situation we have put ourselves in (our AD has put us in more accurately, although everyone seemed to be golf clapping this in just the same way we did for Todd Dodge). We have to end this in a non-catastrophic* way.

*By somehow saving face for our program, no matter how far fetched that sounds right now.

Knowing when to cut bait and being able to recognize a monumental fudge up should mitigate any negative perception. Going back to having less than a thousand people for conference games, measuring season win totals in single digits, killing the season ticket base that had been built...there's the negative. Getting that notoriety stink off the program will be much more difficult than kicking a lost coach to the curb after a season (or less).

While I would not have hired a basketball coach with no head coaching experience, I don't think you can lay all the blame in his lap. We have no one who can hit an outside shot,no floor leader, and no passion. Since we can't shoot from outside, they pack in on Tony, who seems to have as many fouls as points. Sunday was the worst college basketball game this 70 year old has ever seen, and I don't know that its going to get much better. Right now we are a very bad team.

Ward, Ward, Ward. You would have hired the best available canditate, just like you would have hired the best available knee brace salesman. If that was a guy that was never a vice president of sales, then so be it. Somebody has to hire you as a head coach the first time. This guy brought a guy with him that won two sec championships, a hall of fame coach, and if you don't like that guy then there is the 200 wins sitting next to him in Bart Lundy. This is a great coaching staff with tons of experience. They can and will put things together, and you are correct we need a shooter or two badly.

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="flyonthewall" data-cid="696335" data-time="1355846454"><p>

Ward, Ward, Ward. You would have hired the best available canditate, just like you would have hired the best available knee brace salesman. If that was a guy that was never a vice president of sales, then so be it. Somebody has to hire you as a head coach the first time. This guy brought a guy with him that one two sec championships, a hall of fame coach, and if you don't like that guy then there is the 200 wins sitting next to him in Bart Lundy. This is a great coaching staff with tons of experience. They can and will put things together, and you are correct we need a shooter or two badly.</p></blockquote>

OK.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="flyonthewall" data-cid="696335" data-time="1355846454"><p>

Ward, Ward, Ward. You would have hired the best available canditate, just like you would have hired the best available knee brace salesman. If that was a guy that was never a vice president of sales, then so be it. Somebody has to hire you as a head coach the first time. This guy brought a guy with him that one two sec championships, a hall of fame coach, and if you don't like that guy then there is the 200 wins sitting next to him in Bart Lundy. This is a great coaching staff with tons of experience. They can and will put things together, and you are correct we need a shooter or two badly.</p></blockquote>

OK.

If this is a great coaching staff, I shudder at what a bad one would do.

I really, really, really, really hope you are right.

Problem is both those guys take orders from a guy who has never been a head coach. Hope they have some influence, but one never knows.