2013 Schedule discussion revisited

Harry

So if we are in agreement that if we take SMU's schedule things will look like this:

Vs Idaho

@ Ohio

Vs Ball State

@ Georgia

Vs UTEP

Vs Tulane

Vs Rice

Vs FIU

@ UTSA

@ Tulsa

@ Southern Miss

@ La. Tech

If so -- what is a realistic record next year? Is a 7 or 8 game win season a possibility in C-USA?

Yeah... I just always assume they are horrible. Actually, pulled out some wins this year.

We owe Rice some payback. What was the final last time we played? If memory serves me they beat us like 80 - 7. Something like that anyway.

UTEP just picked up the Steelers O-line coach to replace Price. Hopefully they continue to suck.

UTSA will be a blast to go to. I hope it's in SA.

I believe that 7 or 8 wins is possible. Call me the eternal optimist. Here's how I see the schedule at this time:

Sure Loss:

Georgia - Probable Top 10 again

Probable Loss:

Tulsa - Weaker at quarterback than usual

Ball State - Had very good team last year and gets most of it back

Possible Loss:

Rice - Good dual QB and runners

Ohio - Away game tilts scale

Possible Win:

Louisiana Tech - Lost good QB and receivers, not to mention coach

UTEP - New coach

Tulane - Don't think Coach Johnson can do much this year

Southern Miss - Thank you Ellis Johnson

FIU - Breaking in new coach

Probable Win:

UTSA - Still building

Idaho - New coach and weak talent

That would make my most likely 7-5.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I am with Gray Eagle, except I am putting us down with 8-9 wins and if the the cards fall right, I could see even better with Georgia being the only major hurdle. JUCO signees along with competition in many positions in the spring....Regardless...this time next year, we will be celebrating a strong CUSA finish and be BOWLING...MARK IT DOWN. Winning cures all!!!

So UTEP is at home next year then, we're assuming? If there is a change and it ends up being in El Paso, make sure I get the memo! I could probably meet you guys there. Unless we schedule ASU for the second time since I was born, that'll be my best shot at making a game until such a time as we come home during football season...or move closer :(

I see five expected wins on that schedule. Idaho, UTSA, UTEP, Tulane, and FIU (assuming they don't rise from the ashes, one of two belt teams I've never seen us beat). I don't see 6 or more wins at this time.

On the upside, I did get confirmation at whatever basketball game I recently attended that we will indeed have six home games.

• Upvote 1

We owe Rice some payback. What was the final last time we played? If memory serves me they beat us like 80 - 7. Something like that anyway.

UTEP just picked up the Steelers O-line coach to replace Price. Hopefully they continue to suck.

UTSA will be a blast to go to. I hope it's in SA.

I'm excited that UNT teams will make trips here to SA. (FB and BB).

• Upvote 1

So if we are in agreement that if we take SMU's schedule things will look like this:

Vs Idaho

@ Ohio

Vs Ball State

@ Georgia

Vs UTEP

Vs Tulane

Vs Rice

Vs FIU

@ UTSA

@ Tulsa

@ Southern Miss

@ La. Tech

If so -- what is a realistic record next year? Is a 7 or 8 game win season a possibility in C-USA?

I hope UTSA is away. That will be a fun trip.

Hope there can be a fix where our last 4 games are not away. As it sets, pretty goofy travel schedule. Non con...2-2.... hopefully 3-1. Conf games....I dont see a team that we can't beat...I see some tough games, i.e., La Tech, Tulsa, Rice...maybe. I go back and say that good teams win games it should win....great team finds a way to win some games that they shouldn't. I still think we are a young team, but I also see us a better team than this past year. Competition at key positions will make each player and the team better. We had some good players sitting out this past season, a key injury, and I think we have some good redshirts. If we are a good team, we have 6 wins....if we have a great team or even a great team in the making, I think 8 wins. If we over achieve, I can see us loosing only 1 game. Again, please understand my perspective....I never think a game any of my 3 boys play in we get beat; not because of their play, but because I am their greatest fan and motivator...and I believe that on any given game day, anyone can beat anyone. Bottom line...I think we are 7-8 wins this year and that we are in position in 2014 for pure greatness with a good combination of youth and older guys.

MERRY CHRISTMAS....GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

I think we go 9-3 with losses to GA, LA Tech, & Tulsa. Of course I'm not a big MAC fan like some on this board. I think the SBC kicks their rear by more than point spread in the 3 bowl games. SBC is favored in all three, and ULaLa set the bar in N.O. Bowl. We owe RICE back big time. Hope we get them in Apogee as there is a Houston jinx with NT.

• Upvote 1

I think we go 9-3 with losses to GA, LA Tech, & Tulsa. Of course I'm not a big MAC fan like some on this board. I think the SBC kicks their rear by more than point spread in the 3 bowl games. SBC is favored in all three, and ULaLa set the bar in N.O. Bowl. We owe RICE back big time. Hope we get them in Apogee as there is a Houston jinx with NT.

Hitting the egg nog a bit early, are you?

• Upvote 1

Assuming that the conference schedule is accurate based on opponents and location, which games would we likely be favored in?

Idaho - favorite

@Ohio - underdog

Ball St - favorite?

@Georgia - double digit dog

Vs UTEP - favorite?
Vs Tulane - favorite
Vs Rice - underdog
Vs FIU - favorite
@ UTSA - favorite
@ Tulsa - double digit dog
@ Southern Miss - underdog
@ La. Tech - underdog

Assuming that the conference schedule is accurate based on opponents and location, which games would we likely be favored in?

Idaho - favorite

@Ohio - underdog

Ball St - favorite?

@Georgia - double digit dog

Vs UTEP - favorite?

Vs Tulane - favorite

Vs Rice - underdog

Vs FIU - favorite

@ UTSA - favorite

@ Tulsa - double digit dog

@ Southern Miss - underdog

@ La. Tech - underdog

Have no idea but Tulane finished relatively strong and has the best recruiting class in a long long time.

USM was winless last year, so maybe NT will not be a dog.

La Tech lost a ton of players

NT will be likely not be favored against Ball State

Most games should be close other than Ga and probably Tulsa with only Idaho a team that NT should be heavily favored.

Have no idea but Tulane finished relatively strong and has the best recruiting class in a long long time.

USM was winless last year, so maybe NT will not be a dog.

La Tech lost a ton of players

NT will be likely not be favored against Ball State

Most games should be close other than Ga and probably Tulsa with only Idaho a team that NT should be heavily favored.

Yep. Kind of my point. I was trying to be generous on listing us as the favorite in a few of those games. Maybe 2-3 games you look at and say we will be a favorite in (even if only a small favorite), but in several games we will likley be 1-9 point dogs, plus a couple of double digit dogs. Not that we can't win some of those games, but we will be fighting an uphill battle and will have to prove people wrong about us next year if we want to win 6 or more games (and I sure hope we do).

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 1

Unless by some miracle we gain a couple of playmakers at WR, run stopping DTs, and consistent pass rushing threats at DE, we're 4-8, possibly 5-7 again.

If not, we will have three runners with 500+ yards again, not much at WR, and a defense worn out again in the second half of games...and done in November.

Haven't seen much in recruiting to tip the scales on what we've seen so far.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3